Fall trolling on Lake Superior

• Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Is it worth it this time of year or are the salmon all up the rivers and spawning and dying. I would like to do a run this weekend up there but unsure if it’s a waste of time.

Attachments:
    1. EEC80048-DD32-44A7-BE79-C8708AB6F9CE-scaled.jpeg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I personally haven’t tried at all in MN waters in mid-late October but I will say I hadn’t seen a single salmon in my 4-5 trips in September and early October. I’ve fished in mid-late November once and got the skunk. It was after a massive storm and there were still 3’ rollers out there if that means anything.

I had heard you’d be looking for those water temps to fall into the 30s before the salmon come back in numbers.

You might be able to catch some steelhead between now and December though.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I was out of taconite harbor last weekend and a storm rolled in. I got the skunk that day . I was was using ten color of lead and rigger around forty feet down. Met some guys at the landing getting out of the rain too. They had three nice kings, said they were using three colors and in tight to shore.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Those kings are probably headed to Nipigon Bay to spawn. They must be on to something because catching kings consistently is a thought nut to crack.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.