Careful Walleye releases.

• jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I was up fishing MilleLacs for muskie over the last few days and cannot believe the amount o’ floaters out there. Must have seen at least 150-200 dead walleyes on the surface/shore in three days in a small area. We had one that measured out at 33″ float up in front of the cabin. If you are out make sure to give these fish a little extra time for revival before release..Surface temps were pushing 80 degrees in some areas and likely won’t change much in the next few days or so.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Eyes are coming from deeper water now. Add that to the high heat and we can expect more floaters. Handle ’em carefully.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

33″?? My Goodness. I pulled a 26 on Cass last week and it took her 3-4 minutes to gain strength..and this was in 20 FOW. I’m pretty sure she made it cause she bolted once she was ready.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Some larger fish will just flat out die of stress in this heat. A 33″ fish would have probably been kept or heard about at any rate if it was caught! I wonder if it maybe just died of old age or temp stress. That is a HUGE walleye for Milly.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Some larger fish will just flat out die of stress in this heat. A 33″ fish would have probably been kept or heard about at any rate if it was caught! I wonder if it maybe just died of old age or temp stress. That is a HUGE walleye for Milly.

That is kind of what I was thinking. That is a pig for any body of water!!!!!!!!! I cannot imagine too many people releasing a fish of that caliber, especially if it was in poor condition.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.