Any advice welcome…

• saguarokid
    Waterloo, Ia

The wife and I are newbies to the way of the walleye and we are looking for some adventure. We are heading up to Mille Lac (1st trip)in the morning and was wondering if anyone knows a nice place to camp (we have a pickup camper) with a boat ramp close by? I really don’t know which area of the lake to go to, north, south, east or west? We know how to slip bobber and bottom bouncer fish that’s about it. Anyone care to share a good place to get started?

Thanks much..

Mark

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

The Fisherman’s Warf on the east side of the lake has some camping spots for $15.00 a night I believe. They are just a couple of miles up the road from Hunter’s. Hunters has a great boat launch that is plenty deep enough to get out.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

And fishing right out from Hunters isn’t to bad either. Use a Bobber

ryana24
    Harmony, MN

I second Fishermans Wharf, great food too.

Don Hanson

Father Hennipin State park is a very nice campground. Has a boat landing right at the park. Close to some good rock fishing.

bonecarl
    Rochester,MN

either father hennepin or kathio state parks,both are very nice places with landings close by.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The state parks have cabin rentals that look pretty cool. They are old log cabin style cabins.

rrouff
    Aledo IL

I know hiring a guide adds to the price of the trip but it sure does speed up the learning time. If you tell them you want to learn some techniques and what to look for it can be a bargain for what you learn.

Good Fishing,
    Jeff

saguarokid
    Waterloo, Ia

Thanks for all the great info!!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Pete’s Retreat in Malmo is brand new, and beautiful!!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

just made reservations at Pete’s retreat, hope the lake level comes up a bit to launch at the Malmo public landing, Pete’s does look nice, needed to get 4 groups into one area, everybody else was booked up. I would second the Hennepin State park idea, they have a landing right in the park. You can make reservations on line, and they do have a few nonresevable sites if you are feeling lucky. Just get out on the lake, follow some bloobs of boats around, see what they are doing, watch your depth finder, and use a map if possible, repeat till you find something that works. Then go out on your own.

saguarokid
    Waterloo, Ia

Well thanks again everyone, we just got back and had a great time. Stayed at Hennepin State park. Met a lot of great people around Isle that helped us get on some fish, mostly around the graveyard. Couple a days the lake was too rough for the wife (me too) so we just did some sight seeing. We only got around 7 – 8 keepers the rest were too in the slot. My side kick (wife) caught 4 – 22″ers one after the other so she real was excited and I got one just under 28″ that made my day and also won the dollar bet we had for the biggest fish!!! Lake was pretty low, I caught one fish with a wood tick on it The wife even put her own leech on, she used a pair of plairs but it saved me from baiting her hook anyway
    One night the May Flys were so thick we had to get off. The boat looked like Chia pet, just covered. Had to take it to the car wash the next day!! Can’t wait to do it again….

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

Sounds like you and the family had a great time congrats.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.