Trolling Rod

• Drew14741
    Osage, Iowa

What strength rod and length do you use for trolling? Medium light, medium, medium heavy? Six foot, six and a half, 7 ft, or longer?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Medium power – moderate action.

You can go heavier (medium heavy) if you pull deep divers but don’t make the mistake of getting a fast or extra fast action rod if you plan to run braided line. A fast action rod coupled with no stretch braided line is a recipe for poor hooking percentages and lost fish at boat side.

Most trolling rods will be 7′ or longer. For handheld rods I like the 7’6″ Tidemaster MM. For planer boards or other application where the rod will be in the holder I like longer rods, like the 10’6″ Wild River. The Wild river rods provide a fantastic spread when shorter rods are run as inside lines.

Drew14741
    Osage, Iowa

I will be trolling in 10-15 feet of water mostly. I have a 7 foot medium heavy action berkley lightning rod, and I didn’t know if that would be the best set-up to use or if I needed something different. What would you recommend for line?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m going to assume that the medium heavy for your rod refers to the power and not the action. If your rod is listed as a rod with a fast or extra fast ACTION rod I would not recommend it for trolling with braided line as the rod will be too stiff. You could get by with it just fine if you used mono.

I like to use 6 lb diameter (20 lb strength) spiderwire stealth for my trolling line. It is very durable, rediculously strong and very sensitive. If I was going to use mono I would opt for 10 – 12 Lb berkley trilene XT.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

I’ve had really good luck using Cabelas EGlass rods for several years now .They are relatively cheap and with the soft tip you don’t pull trebles out of fish very often.Mine are medium and medium heavy 7-7’6″ .I wish I had some 8 but I got about 10 of them on clearance for $10 a piece several years ago when I guided alot.I usually use 12# trilene XL .I usually figure a good topwater rod is a good trolling rod for cranks.Something long to take up slack quick and a soft tip so you don’t pull out trebles.

Brian Lyons

I just picked a pair of 9’telescopeing St.Croixs from Dean at Everts. I love em! These are not the wild river series, but are a little less pricey. I don’t have the model number in front of me, Dean can give you the details. I’m using them for front rods with 10″ power pro and have had super results

mnfisher
    Farmington, MN

I just received a 8′ 3″ Shimano Compre rod as a gift and am looking for a good reel. I have been looking at the line counters, but know little about trolling reels. Does anybody have a suggestion?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What type of trolling are you looking to use it for? For longlineing maybe look at a Diawa Sealine17. Lead core look at a Sealine 27 or 47.

Brian Lyons

Yup!!
    I’ll second Mike W. Diawa sealines, 17 or 27. I use em & abuse em. No problems….ever

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

i like the 47 for lead core.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

James what kind of rod do use when running lead core?

mnfisher
    Farmington, MN

Thanks for the replies. Think that I will go with the Diawa 27 and 20lb Stealth.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Are you just going to long line with them? If you are get the sealine 17 they are lighter than the 27’s & if you are hold it all day or night your arms will thank you.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I use the 8 foot St.Croix Glass trolling rods… Model PGT80MM

mnfisher
    Farmington, MN

Mark – For now that was the plan. Thanks for the input.

Chad

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Derek, do you like the PGT80MM more than the Tidemaster? I have one tidemaster & I’m thinking about another but I’m still open to another rod.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Mark, I do have one Tidemaster.. But I do prefer the St. Croix, lighter and stronger.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

For you guys that troll lakes and troll the river during the summer. Do you feel the same rods work well in both conditions. I would think longlining on the river against the current and at higher speeds would put a lot more load on the rods than slow speed and no current on the lakes. Think it makes that much of a difference on how well the rods work?

jhalfen

I think that good trolling rods can easliy pull double duty on lakes and rivers.

For example:

The rod that was used to catch this fish (29″ on the river, at the head of the lake) was the same rod that was used to catch this fish (29″ on Mille Lacs) six days earlier. Two dramatically different applications too….long lining cranks over 6 fow in current on the river vs. pulling spinners on bottom bouncers in 28 fow on the pond.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I agree with Jason, my long lining rods pull triple duty river/lake & I’ll 3-way or bottom bouncer with them. I do have different rods for leadcore & for planer boards.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.