Different technique question?

• KirtH
    Lakeville

I was wondering I see alot of guys 3 way and drag jigs on the river, if you are using a short dropper to stay tight to the bottom, what would the difference then lindy rigging with a slipp sinker?

Does the current have a different effect on a lindy rig vs the above?

catmando
    wis

Quote:

I was wondering I see alot of guys 3 way and drag jigs on the river, if you are using a short dropper to stay tight to the bottom, what would the difference then lindy rigging with a slipp sinker?

Does the current have a different effect on a lindy rig vs the above?

The way i see it . the 3 way you can use a lighter pound test dropper and not lose your rig or you can use a heavy jig as dropper and and a floating rig off the back. your weight and line thickness are your main concerns in currentif you are drifting. or boat speed.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

There’s three primary reasons I rarely use lindy rigs on the river.

1) – where do you get 1.5 – 8 ounce lindy rig sinkers? I frequently need 1 – 2 ounces of lead to slowly pull live bait into the current. I need quite a bit more to pull stickbaits.

2) – the dropper line from the 3 way swivel to the sinker allows to precisely set the distance my bait (livebait or stickbait) will run above the bottom. Doing that with a lindy rig is a “best guess” scenario.

3) – When you snag your sinker with a lindy rig and break off you lose the entire rig (sinker, swivel and bait which will often include a floating jighead, spinner rig or stickbait. $$$$) And you’ll need to tie 3 knots to be back in the game. With a 3 way you lose nothing but the sinker (lead is CHEAP) and in the worst case scenario you need to retie 2 knots.

The lindy rig walking style sinker has very limited opportunities for use on the river in my boat. When I want a slip sinker style rig I’ll swap that lindy sinker for an egg sinker. The egg sinker seems to snag less often.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Makes sense, thanks

jesse
    mn

Last Monday the trolling bite for me was non existant. Only way I could buy a walleye was with a lindy rig and crawler harness. That being said, three way is the better way to go, but sometimes using what is less commonly seen actually works well. Dont be afraid to use everything in your box o tricks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve always said there’s no wrong way to catch a walleye.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

James when your talkiing about pulling live bait in the current.what is the max speed and or your constant speed you like to maintain and why? I usally like to keep contact with the bottom at all times.So I adjust my speed according to the flow.Is that wrong?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

In the river I like to run 3-ways with floaters or plain hooks and bait into the current at 0.3 – 0.5 mph when I’m in search mode. Once I find a pod of feeding fish then I basically park on the fish and let that livebait goodness do its thing.

Pulling 3 ways and stickbaits I’m usually starting out around 0.5 mph and going faster with a top speed around 1.5 mph during the winter months when I typically fish that presentation. In the summer a guy could crank up the speed considerably and still count on getting bit.

I like to keep my sinkers tapping bottom as I make forward progress. I don’t want them dragging but they’re touch bottom regularly so I know that my rigs are running where they need to be in relationship to the bottom.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks James .I sometimes will drift an area to find fish and then anchor.I started pulling 3 ways a few years ago,and it seems like im always worried about my speed.It is in the back of my head am I going to fast or to slow. Thanks for the info

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.