Live bait on wingdams

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Started last summer pitching some live bait rigs to the face of wingdams. Was wondering how many others do this and what types of set ups and approaches you use. I have been using a simple slip sinker rig. Its a barrow sinker and swivel tied to the main line. After that its a short snell and hook. I have been pitching that to the top of the dam. When the sinker hits the rocks I left the rod tip, real a little line and let it settle back to the bottom. I work this off the top of the dam and down the face then start all over again. This is a technic that Stickboy should me a few years back and I have been starting to use it now on pool 2.

What else have you guys been using. What works well for rod selection on this? Thanks.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Mike, I use the same setup, sometimes with an egg sinker,lindy weight depends on what I find in the boat at the time. While pitching the damns with a crank, I like to toss this out also, or a 3 way setup. I generally pitch it to the wingie, and reel in line until I no longer hit rocks, then let the bait do its thing.

Jami

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I like to set up as Jami mentioned with a 3 way just off the face of the wing dam with live bait (crawler, leach, minnow or willow cat) on one rod. Then I like to pitch with a small jig n plastic to the top of the wing dam and work it back to the boat or cast crank baits. I also like to cast a bobber with bait hanging below and work the face of the wing dam. The right time of the year this will produce bull sized gills!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thought of bobber fishing wingdam. Just havent tried it yet. I would think lighted bobbers at night would be real fun. Sure wish we could use 2 lines on pool 2 or else where in MN. Guess one line leaves one hand free for refreshments.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I like a good old fashioned 1/8 oz Orange jighead(not short shank) and half a nightcrawler bouncing down the rocks this time of year. You get a lot of undesirables, but the walleyes of all sizes scoop them up, and much less hardware to re-rig if you get stuck in the rocks.

The lighted bobbers can be a blast, I havent used them on wingdams, but I have done it just about everywhere else with good reslts.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

How about backtrolling them on the facwe of the dam? That’s the ticket here on 3……

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Just yesterday I was slip-bobber fishing a wingdam with a jig and leech. I didn’t get anything; but it sure looked like it would work. I set the depth at around 4 to 5 feet and cast it out and let it drift over the dam. Then I would reel up and do it again trying to cover everything within casting range. Probably a set bobber would work better and you could leave it out there. I’ll have to mess with it some more next chance I get.

dd

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’ve had great success on pool 2 pitching a jig and twister tail, plus a minnow. This was how I was taught to fish the wingdams and its my bread and butter approach to fishing pool 2 wingdams.

Eric

scottsteil
    Central MN

Doesn’t the bobber wash over the dam to fast. I would think the bait wouldn’t be in front of them long enough to work well.

Casting the face and letting the bait sweep across seems like a better option as you keep the bait in the zone much longer.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Doesn’t the bobber wash over the dam to fast. I would think the bait wouldn’t be in front of them long enough to work well.

I like to cast short of the wing dam and let my bobber float towards it. When the bait reaches the top I retrieve it. I work the wing dam back and forth until I find where the fish are holding on the wing dam. It is really know different then pitching and retrieving back towards the boat.
    I have taken eyes using crawlers and leeches with the technique but like I mentioned above, it can be deadly on bull gills!

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I’ve fished live bait on wingdams for many years. I use a 3-way Dubuque rig with a drop jig instead of a sinker weight. Right now I’m using 1/2oz to 3/4oz drop jigs with a 3″ sassy shad. I will use 1oz jigs when the current is heavier. The jig is tied to a 3 way swivel with about 12″ of line. Then I have a long line tied to the 3-way. The long line is between 4 and 6 feet long. I use a small orange plastic bead and a #2 octopus hook. I usually tip this with a crawler but leeches work too. I get about half the fish on the long line and half on the drop jig. Makes a strong case for putting a drop jig on instead of a sinnker or bottom bouncer. I position my boat above the wingdam and work parallel to in and out above dam with my trolling motor. Keep the drop jig near the base of the dam. Your long line (bait) will wash up onto the face or top of the dam.

Eyehunter

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.