`bait rigs’

• flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Recommendations on bait rig leader lengths…

I usually tie up my own using 8# fluorocarbon in 3′ and 8′ lengths.

What do you all use most, and why? What situations dictate what lengths you go to? Minnow or leech? Heading to Big Sandy and Mille Lacs next week…..Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

On mille lacs under most situations leaders start at 7′ and get longer from there. Some guys will run leaders in excess of 12′ long but I’ve never found need to go quite that long. Those 8′ rigs you normally tie will work very well.

AS for line I’ve always been a 4 – 6 lb Trilene XL guy and have never had issues with breakage although you do need to keep an eye on the lighter line to check for nicks after every fish.

For leeches hooks in the #6 – #10 work well. Personally I usually stick to the #8’s and they seem to work just fine.

For minnows I like a larger hook. #4’s and #6’s get the nod for those larger baits.

There should be some good info shared in this thread as many of the guys here will have different preferences. I’ll be most interested to hear if guys are making adjustments in length for different types of structures being fished (gravel, rock, mud) or if they have a confidence set up they fish all the time.

I for one will shorten to 5′ – 6′ when fishing rock and even shorter yet if I’m fishing a VERY small area where I’m basically “placing” the rig where it needs to be and doing my best to hover over the top of the rig to stay on the fish.

Don Hanson

Six foot is my standard length to start with. I will go down to 4ft in stained water or on rocks. 10ft is about the longest I have gone with. Hook size makes a big difference as James stated. With the smaller hook size, the bait has an easier time swimming and looks more natural. Along with this, I use the smallest size swivel to attach the snell.
    For snell line I use Vanish and Silverthread. I prefer the latter. Along with adjusting lentgh of the snell when the fish are not going, I will change hook colors. Blue and green are two of my favorites on Mille Lacs.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Most of mine are 4′-6’….I have made some 8′ like these guys said it depends on the conditions….I fish mainly stained water, Wissota, Chippewa River, ect.

I mainly use bronze or red hooks…the snells are made of 10# Trilene XT or Suffix Elite. I’ve been switching most of my stuff over to Suffix….

Just like the other guys said hook size is critical too. On my crawler harnesses I run a 3 hooks, if it is a minnow or leech harness only one hook and usually I try to get away with a smaller hook.

I also found it benificial to use the little Lindy floats on snagy bottoms. It seems to get around the snags a little better. I sometimes run one, but a lot of times I put on two.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Last season I was really turned on to those Lindy Rig Snell Floats. I used these while fishing the mud on the Pond. Standard 8′ leader and a big leech. Big leech and a #4 Gamakatsu(sp?) octopus. Also works using a crawler and smaller hook.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

James, Don, Jeff,
    thanks very much. I think the short leader on the stained lake of Big Sandy maybe the right approach, working up from the 3+footers. There are some gravel bars and points off islands on the north part of that lake.

I think I maybe running hooks a little on the large size from what you guys been having success with. I’ve been using a lot of 4’s and 2’s with the big jumbo leeches and large minnows. Sounds like 8’s to 4’s might be my best bet and I’m tying some more up when I’m done here.

Hook color…I’ve done well with red Gamakatsu(sp), and once in a while fluorescent green. Now Blue, I may have to make a stop to get some on my way up.

I’ve used some vanish, 6 and 8#, and also the Cabela’s line in 8#, all fluorocarbon. I’ve found better knot strength with the Cabela’s line.

Thanks again. Good fish’in all. Tim Molko/Flatfish

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We’re definitely happy to talk fishing and help where we are able. Please let us know how your trips turn out once you get back in from the lake.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Will do! That full moon looming over us on the 31st should be great.

I also picked up some of the new raps in the bleeding series. Anxious to give those a fair shot too.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

How close to the ‘bait’ are you putting those floats? Color preference?

krisko
    Durand, WI

On my rigs here is how it looks…I’ll try to describe it. I have the hook, then there are two beads, then a float, then two more beads then the blade on a clevis, then one more bead. If I decide to run two floats: I have the last hook two beads, float, one bead, float, two beads, blade, bead…..If you don’t understand I can try and take a pic of them.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I let the float slide down all the way to the hook on the basic Lindy rig.

So simple that even a child can catch fish.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

I let the float slide down all the way to the hook on the basic Lindy rig.

So simple that even a child can catch fish.

So very right… Heck if I can do it anyone can.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Got it. Thanks….Great looking kid and awesome fish!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Thanks,
    Big Sandy is stained water as well. looking forward to using this setup. Can’t wait.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.