head lamps for fishing

• mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

ok just looking for some insight as to what to look for in a fishing head lamp. LED lights seeam to be nice for close, in hand work, but I was wondering what the advanges are of the red lights or even the black lights in combonation. I would like to get something that will work the best and yet light enough to wear for extended periods. any insight and sugustions would be great, thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

This Rayovac 3 in 1 lamp is what I run for guiding. I have 5…two for back up.

It gives me the red lamp, which I use mostly, white for a bit broader area and the beam for help with casting.

$9.95 at Wallmart(?)

ggoody
    Mpls MN

The adavantages of the Red LED lights are they use less Battery power and they supposedly don’t spook the fish as much as white LED lights.

As far as LED headbands I find the Red LED lights practically useless they don’t give off enough light for me to do anything.
    I like a nice Bright White LED especially for retying in the dark.
    If I had to do it over again instead buying a bunch sub $20 LED’s I’d just buy one of the Princeton Tecs for around $40, they are the best I have tested by a long shot.

My 2 cents.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The model Brian is showing is what I use. I have used many.. cheap and expensive and I like the Rayovacs the best. The red is very bright for red compared to others(I dont care for red either for most uses), the white led is excellent for an area light, and a bit excessive for a headlamp, the spot will put ou quite a beam, but will eat te batteries(3 AAA).

The battery life is excellent, and AAA’s are easy to find anywhere, and cheap to pick up in bulk at some places.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

what about the ones with the black light LED? anyone tried them?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t do black lights…I get flashbacks of the ’70’s.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

You guys are in the dark ages!!!

The new generation CatsEye cap brim model is awesome! Light weight, hands free, push button activation. Three LED lights, 10,000 hr Lithium batteries… about $14
    Check it out!

LED lights

(I have them in stock… )

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

it depends what you want. if you are happy with walmart that is cool with me.

http://www.rei.com/product/736937 are small and regulated so it stays the same brightness through the batteries life. there is a version with a red cap too. red preserves night vision so you aren’t blind when you shut the light off and I think it may keep june bugs from dive bombing your forehead.

Also if the light is regulated it won’t flicker. Cheap lights are “regulated” with pulse width modulation and it is sort of like movie film showing you a lot of pictures in succession. The PWM lights flicker to give you medium and low powers. It isn’t so noticable when you sit still but if you turn your head fast or wave your hand in front of your face it can become noticable if not nausiating to some people. Not everyone notices it.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0032664516921a.shtml these are supposedly the king of flood light. I really want one so I can see my feet while not looking down…………

See light here<<< This one has a brighter spot light for seeing things at a medium distance and leds you can use for close up. All three are popular, best in class sort of lights as I recall.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/princetontec_eos.htm

I have one of these with a spotlight kind of light now and it lights up trees over 50 yards on high but you can’t see your feet without looking down so you have to move your head a lot. Everything has an advantage and a disadvantage. If you are in a bitterly dark place and don’t have enough light to see more than 10 feet, it can suck. Paranoid dellusions, etc. Crazy birds fighting, mating, beavers cannonballing! Who is out there!

I just bought one of these flashlights. http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=195

It would be a good backup for boating at night. The new gen of LEDs is amazing. Two AA batteries and it lights up a whole tree at 50 yards. You can see things somewhere around 75 but the beam starts diffusing because it is broad. You can buy a similar bulb for a maglight too now.

Yup, I read a lot. And no, I don’t like the dark too much.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

the ray-o-vac that briank has in his post. i have 2 of them and all i have ever done to them has put batteries in them. i like the red light feature. for the money there isn’t a headlamp that even comes close in price, quality, and ease of operation and comfort. they work with all different kinds of hats, baseball or stocking hats, the light stays your head on and don’t give you a headache………….tom fellegy

predator2 jr
    rochester,mn

i’d have to agree with tom on the cateyez i use them for duck hunting and walking the woods ant night and fishing i love it cause it just clips to my hat and the batteries last forever it seams

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

You got er Matt! I have a whole box of the other lights shown…most are still in the plastic pkg… The Catseyes are also feather light…easy on my bald head!

traumatized
    eastern iowa

PETZL TIKKA Plus has 4 LED light. Has four adjustable settings, high, med, low and blink. Also comes with colored lenses you can change. Complete package. If you need some thing that has both an LED and a spot try the Petxl Myo5. I have both of these and love them. The only drawback to these kind of lights is they bring the bugs right into your face. Make sure to bring the OFF.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

This Rayovac 3 in 1 lamp is what I run for guiding. I have 5…two for back up.

It gives me the red lamp, which I use mostly, white for a bit broader area and the beam for help with casting.

$9.95 at Wallmart(?)

What he said….. I do have an energizer set as a back up but its nice having incandescent light at times.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If your like me, after being out for a few hours, the strap type, which I have 2, end up on the dash of the boat. It gives me a headache, and also starts itching… dam cooties !!! I use the cateyes, myself. They are so light and unnoticeable, you’ll leave them on your cap, when your done fishing, in the bar.

big g

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.