Favorite Walleye Water???

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Ok… with all of these favorite posts… lets start one more.

So, what is your favorite Walleye lake/river/tributatry/stream? And what body of water do you think holds potential for the largest walleyes?

Myself? I invested in a small boat this year to take up and down 143 miles of the rum river this year. I may have to walk it at some points… but considering that this lake is fed from Mille Lacs… and bobs and weaves its way down to the Mississippi… I know that this “small” river has the potential for some big time walleyes. This will be my focus of much of the summer. Whats yours?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Mississippi at Redwing or Winni!

fredbart
    St. Paul

The larger lakes in the BWCA, Questico park that have a major river moving through it! These produce some great neck down and mid lake current areas. Cranks, jigs,,, big walleye and smallies!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Still pool 4 for this guy. I’m going to catch a 15 Lb walleye out of there or die a happy man trying.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Still pool 4 for this guy. I’m going to catch a 15 Lb walleye out of there or die a happy man trying.

So James, I believe the record walleye was taken out of quite a small tributary (can’t remember off the top of my head)… you think the big one is going to come from a large, yet fluent, body of water such as pool 4?

chad maloy
    Fargo, ND

Devils Lake is tough to beat for consistent nice fish averaging 3+. As far as favorite lunker location I would say I have caught more 10+ fish on the Winnipeg River in Pine Falls but I think Tobin has the best potential for a big piggy.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I don’t fish Walleyes a lot, but I sure do enjoy Mille Lacs during the Sep/Oct/Nov Fall periods.
    Jack..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

So James, I believe the record walleye was taken out of quite a small tributary (can’t remember off the top of my head)… you think the big one is going to come from a large, yet fluent, body of water such as pool 4?

I honestly don’t know if Pool 4 could kick out a MN record. I do believe it could do a 15+. I’ve heard stories of fish caught in DNR nets in the spring that tell of fish that surpass the current record… but those are only stories.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Devils Lake is tough to beat for consistent nice fish averaging 3+. As far as favorite lunker location I would say I have caught more 10+ fish on the Winnipeg River in Pine Falls but I think Tobin has the best potential for a big piggy.

Tobin in October is on my short list of “must fish” bodies of water. The size of fish available is unbelievable.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Pool 4 Mississippi River. Once its in your blood it will never leave. Great body of water for fishing.

2nd place would be Lake Zumbro as its close to home, has some really nice crappies, bullgills, whitebass, and is also a good largemouth/smallmouth body of water.
    Thanks, Bill

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

My all time favorite walleye water: Tobin Lake.
    I have seen many, many walleyes over 10 pounds there in my 4 trips week long trips.
    I watched my father catch 5 over 11 pounds in less than an hour. My very first eye that I caught there was 12-12, time spent on the water before that fish MAYBE 7 minutes.

In Minnesota, Pool 4 has to be number 1 for numbers of big fish. With that said however; I think that some lucky angler will get one from the Whitefish Lake chain. Years ago I was lucky enough to be at my fathers house when a friend of my fathers called, he asked us to drive to the Pine River DNR stripping station to see a fish they netted. It was the biggest walleye I have ever seen, 19+ pounds. It made it back to their nets for a few years and then just disappeared.
    You can count on Gull lake to kick out a few piggies every year also. Two years ago I know someone that caught a 14-4 while icefishing.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Pool 2 for this guy. Well except for this spring so far. It has been slow so far.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

#1 St. Louis River around Spirit Island.
    #2 trolling lead core on Lake Pepin, at times it soooo easy!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Turtle Flambeau Flowage in Iron county WI. Most walleye per acre of water in the state. No whoppers but an occasional 23″ plus fish. So many that I even have luck catching them.
    BTW a fantastic smallmouth fishery also

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

#1 St. Louis River around Spirit Island.

The St. Louis is an incredible early season fishery. I had a blast up there two springs back. Basically it was one of the best light jig / plastics casting bites I had EVER been on. Nearly unlimited numbers and the scenery was awesome. I’d go back in a heart beat.

My understanding is that the trollers catch some tanks later in the season out in front of the harbor.

timmy

I can’t believe I am the first to say it…..L.O.W. Others need not apply.

Tim

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Pool 4 Mississippi River. Once its in your blood it will never leave. Great body of water for fishing.

I heartily agree Billy! Even though I am an hour away from the “legendary” Little Bay de Noc…I love Pool 4 even more!
    I have caught as many,or more, walleye over 6 lbs in my five years of fishing P-4 than 25 years on other “good” walleye waters.

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

Mille Lacs anytime of the year

But maybe that’s just because I never travel too far from it!!!!

Josh

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Even though it’s far from where I live now, Lake Sharpe on the Missouri River in South Dakota is my favorite—so many good memories of fishing with my dad and brothers. It is still a lot of fun to go back there and see the old man and catch some fish.

CR

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Mille Lacs for me…
    I have not fished the river but twice last year for smallies and loved it. But have not gone for river eyes yet. So ask next year and it maybe different..

Crankbait

Mississippi River Pool 4 for me too! I am fond of some of the other pools as well. Forget the “box of chocolates”, I’d say life is more like fishing the Mighty Miss, you never know what yer gonna get.

I’ll second the BWCA/Quetico. The record walleye mentioned was taken in the Seagull River which is a tributary to giant Saganaga Lake on the border. I must say though that I really hope I can finally get a chance to try the fall bite on Mille Lacs this year!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

I can’t believe I am the first to say it…..L.O.W. Others need not apply.

Tim

WOW!
    I was reading hard, trying to find LOTW!!!!!!

rangerski
    North Metro

All I can say is the Rainy River in the spring, If you havent made the hike, you should. Unreal, I boated 8 eyes over 26″ in a single morning. Please, anybody tell me where thats possible? All I can say is World Class, Rainy ranks number one!!!!!!

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Mine would have to be Big Cormrant.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Pool 4 it is such a diverse fishing area

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Bays De Noc.Big numbers with a shot at a fish of a lifetime! Winnepeg river. Pool 4. Hopefully I will be including “The Pond” after my weeks vaction this July

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Favorite Body of water for Walleye?

Depends on the time of the year!

March – Rainy River!
    April – Lake Erie!
    May – Oct – Mille Lacs
    Nov – ? it’s hard to fish out of a tree stand…
    On the “to do list” – Winnepeg River and Lake Tobin!

jiggineyes15
    Iowa

I have always had a soft spot backtrolling Pepin since I was a kid. (Of course a stop at the Galley Resturant to start the morning right)

Quote:

Unreal, I boated 8 eyes over 26″ in a single morning. Please, anybody tell me where thats possible?

Same type of numbers produced at Minnitaki Lake, Ontario in spring and fall. Long drive, but has been a staple for me the last 4 years.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Favorite for CATCHING walleye: Pool 2

Favorite for FISHING for walleye: Vermilion, Kabe, Rainy. You cant beat that part of the country for cool clean air, crystal clear skies, good stories and delicious fish fries.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I will pick Mille Lacs, Winni, and LOTW. From age 3-20 I spent every other weekend on Mille Lacs, so it has to be my favorite. Bobber fishing at night and the zoo to get off the lake before 10, rigging on the mud flats during the summer, and shallow water trolling in the fall. Winni is special because it is the only lake I have consistent success jigging. My new love is LOTW. Put the downriggers down, crack a beer, and its fish on. It is not my favorite method of fishing, but it is just so easy.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.