My State Record Walleye…

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Turned out to be a buffalo!

The fish prior to this beast was a 27″ walleye so I was already thinking big fish when this fish hit a ringie. For a couple minutes I thought I had my 15′ lber! She fought just like a walleye… huge head shakes…. short but strong runs that started right below the boat. When we first got a glimpse of her all she showed us was her white belly… and I thought I had the fish version of the ‘turdy point buck.

Of course my dreams were shattered when we finally got a good look at her boatside.

This photo doesn’t do her justice. I was fishing with DeeZee tonight and we both estimate this fish in the 35 – 40 lb range. Nobody can accuse me of holding this fish out for the camera as my elbow is firmly planted on my hip to help support the weight while DeeZee was trying to find the “ZOOM OUT” button to get the whole fish in frame while I was screaming at him to hurry the heck up…

If you’ve never seen one they’re as wide as they are tall and apparently have a “thingie” for a ringie.

Although it wasn’t the 15 Lb walleye I had hoped for she gave me one heck of a tussle and DeeZee and I got a huge laugh out of the whole deal.

Fishing that river is an adventure every time out!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

New avatar

Great fish James!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That thing looks like a pillow!

James, all I’m going to say is I haven’t seen you smile that wide with a walleye in your hands!

Nice catch!

I’m riversick.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

nice fish James,

that would be a great fight, you should add that to the big fish wall. was that on pool 2 or 4??

shane

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It was a fun fight and a good laugh after the fact but I think I’ll keep the one I have.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

That had to be a blast to land…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

nice fish James,

that would be a great fight, you should add that to the big fish wall. was that on pool 2 or 4??

shane

Pool 4. DeeZee was down as my guest this time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Buffalo, Bigmouth: 41–11, Mississippi
    River (Goodhue).

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James, all I’m going to say is I haven’t seen you smile that wide with a walleye in your hands!

That isn’t so much a smile as it is a grimace crossed with a grin. DeeZee had me laughing my butt off and the more I laughed, the more he laughed. Which of course didn’t help him figure out how to use my camera.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

i was thinking that them trees where looking familiar, but then again, not sure, I was thinking just down from the damn before the main channel.

shane

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Buffalo, Bigmouth: 41–11, Mississippi

River (Goodhue).

I told DeeZee, as I let her go, that the record is 42 Lbs or there abouts and we both thought she’d have a shot at that weight. To be honest… she’s back where she belongs. I knew what the record weight was (I caught one about the same size 5 or 6 years ago and checked afterwards) and I know I wouldn’t have gone through the hassle of registering her if she weighed 50 lbs.

The last thing I need to do is give guys like Dustin and DeeZee ammunition to give me a hard time.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

i was thinking that them trees where looking familiar, but then again, not sure, I was thinking just down from the damn before the main channel.

shane

If you can tell where I was from that shot… you gotta spend less time studying trees and more time fishing… lol

I was further downstream.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

Quote:

shane

If you can tell where I was from that shot… you gotta spend less time studying trees and more time fishing… lol

I was further downstream.

well you know, seeing how I can’t seem to find anyfish to put into my boat, I spend alot of time studying the shoreline looking for wildlife and stuff like that.

shane

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

I feel your pain

I caught two huge carp last year trolling walleyes with shad raps

Its enough to ruin a guys day.

Dogfish have also gave me way to much excitement on live-bait rigs before. Fight just like a walleye, strong steady pull, head shakes, stay down deep.

One of these days, just maybe, it will be a 10+ lb. eye.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

The last thing I need to do is give guys like Dustin and DeeZee ammunition to give me a hard time.

They would never!

Crankbait

Had me going for a second there with that subject line!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I was sort of agreeing with Brian on that one, (like that will ever happen again), that you look like a huge smile, more than a grimace.
    Yes, it is a bigin…
    Pool 4 the proverbiable Smorgasbord…
    Congrats, James.
    Jack..
    Now we expect that 15 # Walleye this week from you.
    Jack..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Had me going for a second there with that subject line!

Can’t blame a guy for trying to keep things interesting around here.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Not a record Walleye, but a way cool fish anyways James

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Now that’s funny right there, I don’t care who you are….

Seriously that had to be great fun. A 40# fish is a big fish regardless. And it’s always nice to know that:
    1) You tie good knots
    2) Your jig hooks are strong enough
    3) Your rod has enough backbone
    4) Your landing net is big enough

There’s only one way to find these things out and that’s to catch a big’un. Nice fish, even if it wasn’t a Sheephead

Rootski

catmando
    wis

Anything big is a HUBBA BUBBA and thats a HUBBA BUBBA.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Rootski is right,good testament to your gear! Wrong species but fun anyway

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

That looks like fun James. I hate catching carp at tournaments. They can really get your hopes up before you see them.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

That is a monster!!
    Nothing wrong with rough fish in my eyes, they put up a great fight. Who can’t appreciate something of that size?!?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I might have thrown back the State record Quillback a couple weeks ago for the same reason.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I might have thrown back the State record Quillback a couple weeks ago for the same reason.

Heck… I would get’em mounted!!! Anyone know a good taxidermist???

KirtH
    Lakeville

Did you give it Jimmy Housten kiss on the lips

KirtH
    Lakeville

Oh ya one more thing, I bet G3 wont be using that picture in their catalogue

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Great photo.
    From this angle I can’t tell whom has the bigger smile…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.