EVINRUDE OUTBOARDS

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Sounds right. I saw the presentation they made for the shareholders on their future products, some interesting ideas.

B-man

Going to be black motors hanging on Alumacrafts now eh? mrgreen

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Heres comes Brp’s new fourstroke, doubt they would buy alumacraft just to dump outboards all together.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

guess i should of read whole article.. didnt read sign contract with mercury..

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Evinrude was never a consideration for me. I won’t miss them. Being a multi million dollar company (maybe billions) I’m sure they know what they are doing.

FryDog62

Is Honda Marine the next one to go to the wayside or will this help them?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Me thinks Honda has plenty deep pockets. Every motor has a market they are strong in. While this market isn’t a stronghold for Honda you do see them around.

Sylvanboat

I have a 1996 Evinrude 60hp I bought new. Never a speck of problems. This is really sad. Back then Canadian guides told me there was no more reliable motor.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I have a 1996 Evinrude 60hp I bought new. Never a speck of problems. This is really sad. Back then Canadian guides told me there was no more reliable motor.

Totally different animal then todays “etec” outboard
    those engines ran with fuel and compression,not electrical pulses to control fuel injectors…

grizzly
    nebraska

and the 10 year warranty?

CBMN
    North Metro

Won’t miss them at all. Never even considered them an option for me when buying. I kind of figured they would disappear when they stuck with 2 stroke and every one else went 4 stroke.

B-man

I made me one of them meme things )

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200527-1954332.jpg

blackbay
    mn

While I wasn’t an Evinrude fan, I still think it’s a bad deal that they closed up. 650 people out of work, many in Wisconsin. The industry that only had 5 main competitors now is down to 4, with only one being made in the US.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

But bars are open, so they have that going for them.

Deuces

I made me one of them meme things )

A for effort, but as master meme guy of IDO we need to see two different gravestones for each company. If along the same timeline we possibly could do same grave but each in their own accord required seperate.

It’s meme technicality and out of my hands really, hope you understand. doah

Plenty of forums to live the glory days of past with OMC, marineengine and iboats will always live on in my heart.

B-man

While I wasn’t an Evinrude fan, I still think it’s a bad deal that they closed up. 650 people out of work, many in Wisconsin. The industry that only had 5 main competitors now is down to 4, with only one being made in the US.

It does suck, but the company should have started building a reliable 4-stroke outboard years ago, instead of sketchy and complicated 2-strokes that nobody wanted to sell/service/repair.

Even the first few years of G2’s earned a bad rap.

95% of consumers want a 4-stroke…..that really limited their target market.

If you’re not growing…..where you going?…. unfortunately they found out.

Beast

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blackbay wrote:</div>

It does suck, but the company should have started building a reliable 4-stroke outboard years ago, instead of sketchy and complicated 2-strokes that nobody wanted to sell/service/repair.
    I also think the EPA under the last administration mandated all outboards be 4 stroke by 2023, they were to far behind the curve to catch up.

Even the first few years of G2’s earned a bad rap.

95% of consumers want a 4-stroke…..that really limited their target market.

If you’re not growing…..where you going?…. unfortunately they found out.

Beast

I think the EPA mandated under the last administration that all outboards be 4 stroke by 2023, they were too far behind the curve to catch p.

B-man

I see BRP also just shut down the Alumacraft factory in Arkansas neutral

(thankfully they’re keeping the MN one going though)

The corporate belts continue to tighten

I think a lot of companies are going to use this time to make moves that have been a long time coming or “restructure” or trim the fat to become more streamlined etc. (To be clear I am not downplaying the obvious economic impact taking place right now)

mojogunter

Evinrude claimed they were the cleanest burning motors. If that was true I doubt the EPA had anything to do with it.

I think the EPA mandated under the last administration that all outboards be 4 stroke by 2023, they were too far behind the curve to catch p.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I think a lot of companies are going to use this time to make moves that have been a long time coming or “restructure” or trim the fat to become more streamlined etc. (To be clear I am not downplaying the obvious economic impact taking place right now)

Agreed. There are lots of corporations that were struggling or had tough decisions looming that will blame Covid for the changes when most were inevitable.

As far as the Etec outboards being discontinued, it doesn’t impact me other than the net loss of competition and innovation across the industry. As consumers buying boats with historic mark-ups, we need every bit of competition we can get in the industry.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

think the EPA mandated under the last administration that all outboards be 4 stroke by 2023, they were too far behind the curve to catch p.

The EPA never mandated a specific engine technology. EPA mandates the allowable level of emissions, so as long as emission standards are met, it could be a 2 stroke, 4 stroke, or a 6 stroke for that matter.

It has been all downhill since Bombardier took over the brand.

I hope someday the great Evinrude name can live again. The elegant simplicity of the OMC designs made them tremendous outboards, especially the small outboards <25 HP. I’ve got a 7.5 Johnson from 1985, I’ve had multiple 15 and 9.9s and a 25. All were flawless outboards that will still be running 50 years from now if they are taken care of.

Grouse

mrpike1973

Not an Evinrude fan but I feel for those that lose there jobs. I think Yamaha and mercury own the outboards hope Yamaha does not quit just bought a new one frown

Sylvanboat

My recollection is when 4-stroke technology was being developed (1990s?) OMC bought German tech called FICHT and tried to perfect that. They were unsuccessful, sold engines before the technology was perfected and eventually got sold.

Musky Ed

I think Ficht, came about 1997, as I was buying a new Stratos bass boat then, and really wanted one, but due to the increased cost, went with the standard Intruder 175HP. Boy, was I glad that I did. My Intruder was flawless, friends with the fichts, couldn’t give them away. Had that boat for the longest I have ever had a boat, 9 years, and that Intruder ran just as strong when I got rid of it, as the day I bought it. Bought an Etec in 2007, worst boat engine I ever had.

uninc4709

This has me thinking they have something up their sleeves when it comes to power plants.

“We will leverage our track record of ingenuity through our R&D resources to enhance the boating experience with unique new marine products, such as the next generation of engine technology with Project Ghost”

hillhiker
    SE MN

Google BRP Project Ghost, and you can see a couple of pics of a pontoon, and a Alumacraft on the water with the “Ghost”. You can’t actually see the new project, but you do see the the lack of an outboard on the back.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.