ETEC 150HO

• hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

seeing lots of good deals on boats right now that have the 150HO on them. Are they worth buying since they are no longer being made or a red flag to run from? Have a 06 60hp etch that has been a pretty good motor for me?

B-man

seeing lots of good deals on boats right now that have the 150HO on them. Are they worth buying since they are no longer being made or a red flag to run from? Have a 06 60hp etch that has been a pretty good motor for me?

Just remember you will be forced to pass along that good deal when you sell the boat (poor resale)

I personally wouldn’t buy one (too many horror stories from friends), but there are happy E-tec owners out there.

Ripjiggen

Agree if it’s a good deal I wouldn’t hesitate to jump on it. May lose some on resale like stated but there are plenty of etec’s on the water still going strong and will be for sometime. These boats and motors are not just going to go to the junk yard because they no longer make that motor. Do your homework and get diagnostics report on the motor.

joe moenck

I wouldn’t be afraid, but I do understand the concern. The 150 HO was a pretty solid motor, by the end of the HO era alot of bugs had been worked out. I run a 250 HO G2 and I absolutely love that motor, even though the current circumstances with the Manufacturer, here is my $0.02

1) What is you dealer support? My dealer is 20 minutes from my home and they are and committed to continue to service Evinrude. They have been in business longer than I have been alive, and the service at Al’s Marine in Rochester has exceeded my expectations.

2) Even though motors have been discontinued, Evinrude still manufactures parts and honors warranty. Its still a viable business.

So as long as you have a solid dealer, the manufacturer honors warranty, and the manufacturer still makes parts, I wouldn’t be afraid to jump on a good deal. I have owned Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude, and honestly they were all good motors. My biggest issue with the Honda was getting parts. Dealer service is the most import factor to me.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I agree with what was said above.

I’ve owned outboards by different manufacturers over the years, and ultimately all will have issues or need to be serviced if you keep them for the long haul. It still boils down to seeing what service and maintenance was done in the past, and how everything was treated. Make sure you’ve got someone relatively local who will work on it, or any outboard you purchase for that matter.

The low end grunt on those 150HO’s was unmatched for a motor that size. We see a lot of tritoons on the river pushed by that exact setup and some really move for being ~4000#.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I have a 135HO that I bought new in 2014. It’s been flawless. I’m a fan. I’d have no concern with a 150HO unless it’s an older model.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I had an Etec 150 HO on my 2016 Ranger 1880 Angler. I ran that boat for 3 years with zero issues. It was a fantastic engine other than the oil is a little spendy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.