What rod and real for pike?

• mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I haven’t fished pike much for quite awhile and am planning to get back into it. I also haven’t used a baitcaster real for a long time and need help choosing. I plan to throw baits up to 2oz. Most likely will be big plastics spinners and spoons and sometimes crank baits. If I caught a 15 lb fish that would be a big fish for anywhere I fish. Trying to keep the whole setup at or under $500. Right now after looking through the musky/pike forum i’m leaning towards an Elk River ER1 series custom musky rod 1M76M wich is 7’6″ medium power fast action. Not sure if the MH in the same rod would be better or too big for what I want it for. The next is the real. I’m not well versed in casting reals at all and need some thing fairly easy to use. I’m looking at one of the shimano curados. I’m thinking I’ll probably run 30 lb power pro for line. Also I’m right handed but being I normally use spinning reals I real with my left hand wich is kinda backwards on most casting reals do most people use a left handed real in these or do you just get used to doing it backwards from your soinning gear. I know it’s a lot of question but would appreciate any suggestions you guys have!

kroger3
    blaine mn

As far as reels go your on a good track with the Curados.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Here’s what I run on pike trips

2 Ambassadeur 6500 C3s with left hand retrieve
    paired with 1 6’6″MH and 1 7’0″MH. both are fast tip but one is a little more moderate.
    1 6’6″ spinning set up. reels have changed over the years but the rod is a St. Croix Premier Medium Heavy Fast tip.

The reason I run multiple setups is to either change presentations quickly or in the case of the spinning rod to throw lighter crank baits(especially into the wind).

Here’s some food for thought. Get a nice reel but something good but not top end for the rod? Then get a second setup with the money you have left?

As for left hand vs right hand retrieve, most folks that use a left hand on spinning reels use right hand on baitbasters. I’m the exception. Took me a few trips before I got really comfortable cranking left handed but has worked out.

Good luck and hope you get into’em!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Curado or similar reel is a great choice. Eventually, if you are serious about catching really big Pike, you might want to step up your lure size, line weight and stiffen up your rod action. As long as you don’t plan on going over 2-3oz, you are on the right track. Personally though I would look to a med-heavy set-up rated for 3/4-3oz or so.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I think two rigs would open up your options like Pat said. Should be able to get two pretty good quality set-ups for $500.
    And like Fancaster said I would have one a little more stout to handle some heavier baits, jerk baits. I’ve caught a lot of nice pike on Reef Hawgs.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I’ve been satisfied with Bass Pro’s extreme series of rods. A good mix of backbone and sensitivity. I use med-heavy. I use Shimano’s Stradic reels. Medium drag rating, pretty pricy however. Never let me down and 2 of them are 12 years old, the other is fairly new. Can’t tell the difference in performance. The only problem I’ve ever had was when I closed the truck door on the rods tip, ouch.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I’m on the opposite view as the others. I think you are going much larger then needed. In my mind you could cut your budget in half and still have more then enough for 15lb. Pike.

A good Abu Garcia reel for under a 100 bucks, MH rod 7′ long and decent line. I really see no reason to throw 2oz baits unless you are doing a trophy trip to Canada which you didn’t indicate you were doing. 3/4 oz. to 1 oz. Rattle Traps and spoons, Mepps spinners will get you Pike to 20lbs.

What you described would be a good Muskie set-up for Mille Lacs.

Just my opinion, it’s your money. Have fun.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

An interesting point: The 2nd largest pike caught in Ontario in the last 10 years was 53″ 43 pounds and was caught on a jig with a twister tail by a guy fishing for walleyes on a small fly in lake. I suspect his tackle wasn’t heavy.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

An interesting point: The 2nd largest pike caught in Ontario in the last 10 years was 53″ 43 pounds and was caught on a jig with a twister tail by a guy fishing for walleyes on a small fly in lake. I suspect his tackle wasn’t heavy.

That is interesting. Got me to thinking how sometimes my 10+ pounnders come on walleye gear and a #8 Shad rap or like sized minnow rap. Also remembering how few times by buddy and I are throwing baits larger than 1.5oz. So many times we’re finding smaller stuff works or need to downsize due to the bite. On really good days some big baits come out.

One other change over the years which is not the norm. Both my partner and I have tried braid on our pike baitcaster setups and gone back to mono(20lb). This was after a couple bad experiences. 12lb mono is the choice on our spinning rigs. Seems like we’re about the only ones running mono.

FYI – my pike fishing is typically on the Canadian side of Rainy. typical baits: 1/2oz-5/8oz crankbaits, 1oz spoons, 1.5oz or so bucktails. Starting to play with plastics but just starting:)

Keep the opinions coming! I’m always looking for an excuse to get new gear and learning what works for others.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I know this isn’t going to help the gentleman select a rod/reel combo.

I’ve caught a lot of 10 pound plus pike on a 7/16 X-rap in the spring. It works great and doesn’t dive very deep perfect for fish trying to stay warm in shallow! Sometimes I break out the old husky jerk it’s not that heavy at 7/16 or 5/8 oz, and they both run fairly shallow.

In the late fall I use a heavier approach 3/4 oz or 1.5 oz raps and fish a bit deeper.

As you can tell for pike I’m partial to raps

keepcasting
    Excelsior

My go to pike rod is a 7′ Heavy St Croix Premier. It is rated from 1/2oz- 1 1/2 oz and throws everything from size 14 husky jerks, to size 12 x-raps, to size 16 flat raps just fine. For about $140 I think that the St Croix Premier series are a good value. I also throw a lot of gliders (Glidin Raps and Phantoms) for pike and actually use a slightly heaver rod for those, but the rod i mentioned above would work well too. In my opinion a medium action rod likely won’t have the hook setting power you will want and will be to soft if you start thowing bigger lures. Yes it is very true that little lures can catch big pike, but if you want to target big pike then I would suggest spending more time throwing slightly bigger lures.
    For reels, buy a Abu Garcia Revo Toro 50 or a Shimano Curado and don’t look back.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Quote:

My go to pike rod is a 7′ Heavy St Croix Premier. It is rated from 1/2oz- 1 1/2 oz and throws everything from size 14 husky jerks, to size 12 x-raps, to size 16 flat raps just fine. For about $140 I think that the St Croix Premier series are a good value. I also throw a lot of gliders (Glidin Raps and Phantoms) for pike and actually use a slightly heaver rod for those, but the rod i mentioned above would work well too. In my opinion a medium action rod likely won’t have the hook setting power you will want and will be to soft if you start thowing bigger lures. Yes it is very true that little lures can catch big pike, but if you want to target big pike then I would suggest spending more time throwing slightly bigger lures.
    For reels, buy a Abu Garcia Revo Toro 50 or a Shimano Curado and don’t look back.

. I have that rod in a two piece and I love it for pike. I think I’ll pick up a one piece this year though I like the two PC for flying, bwca etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.