Great time get muskie gear inventory in check!

• jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

Especially with another snow storm, now is the time to go through all your baits and not only sharpen hooks but elminate the baits that you know you are not going to throw. This eliminates clutter in the boat and in the tackle box. Another thing that I find very helpful is breaking down my blades by color and skirt colors, so when I am looking for new baits or updating old ones, I know exactly what I need.

I find it easiest to break down the bucktails by Gold, Silver and then the bright colors. This sounds really simple and silly, however try this and you may be surprised that you have accumulated an abundance of a certain color or size and you are not utilizing them.

The same theory goes for topwater baits, for some reason I have an access of black and orange- its a good confidence pattern for me, however this tells me its time to expand my colors and find a new “confidence” color pattern.

Was just thinking about baits and as I was getting them ready, I figured I would share. This is one of the those jobs that I used to always talk about, but never actually do. Once you have done this once, you wonder how you never did it in the past. Being organized and knowing exactly what you have will produce more fish, and make you much more efficient on the water!

Tight lines-

Jake

shaley
    Milford IA

Just did this Sunday after the Expo, sad thing is I went from 2 boxes to 3 now not including the in boat storage I have for blades and trolling baits, added about 50 to the storeroom to and sold about 75…. Yes I have an obsession and no I don’t need treatment….

tucrs
    NW Metro

Yep same here. I make sure all the lures are ready to go and hooks sharpened.

Biggest thing I do this time of year is clean reels and change line. I am also making leaders, putting the finishing touches on new Bucktails.

One thing that I am doing different is I am going to try and get one on the fly this year.

shaley
    Milford IA

I sharpen hooks as I use the baits, you have no idea how long it takes to sharpen hooks on 200+ baits Plus some may only see a few casts before retired into next seasons trading stock…

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

In regards to your comment about treatment, I always tell people at least I admit the addiction and that is the first step in recovery, knowing what the issue is… in this case its okay! As my mother in law always to my wife…you should be glad he is not out in the bar, gambling or chasing women! She has a good point! However, the muskie illness is something you have forever once you get it! I love every minute of it!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I just got all my reels back from being repaired and cleaned respooled with fresh line and new leaders tied on. Now I’m in the process of finding space for 8 new pounders 3 monster medusass half a dozen new window maker bucktails and a few new top waters. Working the Muskie expos cost me a pile of money this year Come on June!!!!!!!

shaley
    Milford IA

Your right no problems here

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I am downsizing big time this year. I am going to switch it up from a god awful amount of baits and pick a dozen different baits in a variety of colors and really try to perfect the action of the baits. I am going to go with 3 sizes of bucktails 10s, 8s, and 13s. A few types of rubber, dogs, medusas, and a thunder beast or two. Early in the year soft tail phantoms, Suicks, and a MM big daddy. I also like the Glidin’ Rap. Top water is ruled by the 4 big mamma prop baits and of course my top raiders. My crankbaits will probably be super shads, X-raps, Big Game cranks, and Storm Flatsticks. I am sure this will go right out the window if I hit a little rut, but those have been the top producers for me year in and year out. O yeah, and that ugly coot!

What are some of your guys go to lures?

shaley
    Milford IA

Mag Dawgs, 9″ weighted Wades Wobblers and Cowgirls are 3 must haves around home, for MN waters Twisted Sister, Topraider, 8″ Cady Weagle and 10 Weagles and a BS Willy Creeper… Of course I never go anyplace without a few dussas, pounders and curlie sues…

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I added a Toro HS this year to the arsenal and a few new lures, but for the most part it is just organizing time right now. I usually make a half dozen new bucktails every spring based on the color/blade combos i have dreamed up over the winter. One thing i did last week was to take inverntory of my bucktails and i decided to cut up a few that i just didn’t throw for components that I feel will be better suited in a new color/size combo. It saves some work and cost when making new bucktails if you can use components from lures that you already have that are getting any use.

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

Ben brings up a hidden gem that I think many people overlook. The storm flatstick may be a bait that does not break the bank however it is one of my favorites for the following reasons:

1. Storm came out with the UV colors that really kick out some major flash, which can be huge when fishing in some stained waters.

2. The rattles inside the bait, kick out extra noise and vibration which sets it apart from many other cranks.

3. The bait can easily be trolled, casted and also used as a twitch/slash bait. I personally have had good luck with the UV pink and UV orange. ‘

Try out this bait if you do not own one- no worries you will not be taking out a loan!!!

Storm is really starting to produce some new tackle that is impressive, not only muskies but walleyes also!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.