Revo Toro

• average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Hey guys:

I’m looking at getting another reel for throwing plastic, and I was wondering what you think about the Abu Garcia Revo Toro Winch.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

shaley
    Milford IA

To slow for my taste, partner has one and lost several last season due to not being able to keep up with a fish making a run at the boat…IMO the 5:4 is the best all around Revo, still not sure why they discontinued it… I run a Calcutta on my rubber rod and like it as much as the 5:4 toro, those 2 I keep on other rods though…

musky_ben
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

To slow for my taste, partner has one and lost several last season due to not being able to keep up with a fish making a run at the boat…IMO the 5:4 is the best all around Revo, still not sure why they discontinued it… I run a Calcutta on my rubber rod and like it as much as the 5:4 toro, those 2 I keep on other rods though…

x2, it does work well fro workin baits slow, but have lost fish cuz of it also…..traded it to my buddy for the 5:4… that sucker!!!

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have one and It got a lot of work in last fall. I was throwing dawgs, rippin jakes and pulling blades. I didnt loose a fish. I really like it. Im looking to get the HS verison for another rod this year.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I am doing the exact same thing as Ben…I used the Winch last season and liked it a lot, but immediatly regretted not getting the regular 5.4:1 Toro, so I am just traded for 5:4. The Winch just didn’t pick up enough line for my liking working Dawgs and other swimbaits. Awesome reel overall, but the 5:4 seems like a better fit.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

My winch primarily is used for pulling big blades… Better hooking percentages with the btails…

Mark

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I just picked up another Toro 5.4/1 (had one left at F.F.) can’t comment on the winch but I think it would be a little slow.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Thanks Guys. Very intresting and different view points. Overall it sounds like a pretty good, and solid product. I’m happy about that, but I’ll report back on my findings. I’ve been watching alot of keys outdoors, and they beat the urine out of the Revo Toro Winch reels they have, and it looks like they throw everything from big bladed DCGs/Super models, to Magnum and pounder bull dawgs. So thats why I started to lean toward the winch. I may wind up trading one off for the HS, but who knows. Thanks for all your help. I was just worried about buying a reel that would turn out to be junk, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I bought the winch at last years Expo and plan to buy the high speed one this year. I like the winch and know I will like the hs one too.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like a pretty descent reel, but after some soul searching, and crunching the numbers in the pocket book. I decided to take it to the next level, with 2 Shimano Tranx reels. I bought 1 low speed, and 1 high speed, so now I have a Trinidad Dc I don’t need

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

All the way to the Tranx!

Wow. I can only dream on.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

For anyone who is interested, you can still order the 5.4/1 gears and “upgrade” your winch to an original Revo. Not that everyone would want to…just sayin’.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

All the way to the Tranx!

Wow. I can only dream on.

I decided to just bite the bullet, and take one for the team

The only reels I own are shimano, so I figured I’d just spend the extra money, and get the best money can buy

Now I can hardly wait to hit the water

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.