Buying a New Rig

• craigniu

Ok, I need some advice.
    Looking for a 17-19ft boat. Can’t quite afford the 619VS (unless it’s very used), so I’m looking at a 17/18 foot aluminum now.

Seems like the Alumacraft 175 Navigator is best for what I need. Combo of big water, smaller water and 2-3 angler castability.

But, I’ve noticed used Alumacraft Magnums, Lund 1700 anglers and 1800 explorers that are cheaper than a new Navigator.

Just looking for opinions here:
    Will they all handle big chop?
    Are some drier than others in waves? (opted away from Crestliner, as I hear they are wetter. Not sure if that’s true)
    Heard Lund storage compartments may leak. Do all boats’ compartments leak in heavy rain?

Thanks for you opinions.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Tiller?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Congrats on the step towards a new boat. I think that the all the boats you mentioned are all worthy of consideration. I don’t have an Explorer, but my Lund Fisherman storage compartments don’t leak. I can say this having fished in rain and snow. Being 7 miles out when a storm hit. Lastly, not getting the boat cover on in time while it was sitting at the dock.

Good Luck,

FDR

craigniu

I’m looking at a single console and I will max horsepower if I buy new.

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

I have a 2007 Polar kraft 178tc, full windshield, 2007 135 Honda four stroke with very low hours. 80# terrova AP/US2 co-pilot 60″ shaft, humminbird 998cSi(Dash) interlinked with Humminbird 958(bow) on board charger, 3 batteries, bow livewell with built in bait bucket, stern livewell, navionics and lakemaster chips, 42-45mph, very dry ride. Have pics if your intersted.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

To say my navigator compartments leak is just a gross understatement. I think they would stay dryer if I just took the doors of. Other than this its a great boat for the way and places I fish.

As far as handling big waves this boat will get you over them but dont plan on getting up and running in them. With a console it may be a little better rough water boat with more weight forward on it to cut threw the waves. Throw a little cross wind and chop at my tiller boat and its wet in the back end about to the point of needing a snorkel.

Guess if I was fishing a lot of big rough water there would be a different boat in my driveway. For river fishing the navigator works great.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

I like my Alumacraft Tournament Pro. If you want to stay dry, avoid a Tiller.

craigniu

Thanks Mike. How old is yours? Do you have the 175? Funny commentary on the leaking doors. Actually, I’m surprised. I’ve heard mixed stories on Lunds leaking. Do you hear about any boats that are better than others? Seems counter-intuitive to have to dry bag everything you put in a storage box.
    Thanks.

craigniu

riverrookie,
    I appreciate it. Sounds like a beauty. I’ll keep you in mind, but I might hold out for a single console (maybe double bubble), as I tend to move around a lot casting.
    But, feel free to send me pics if it’s not too hard. [email protected]
    Thanks again.

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

I will send the pics tonight when the wife gets home. She’s my computer guru.

mojogunter

I had a couple of pro-v’s that were nice boats, and the compartments stayed dry in them. In big wind I got plenty wet though. The Lunds are nice boats and they hold their value. I sold my 1775 to my brother 5 years ago, and he has been offered more than what he bought it from me for.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Welcome to In-Depth!!

When shopping for boats just remember they said the Titanic would never sink.

Every brand will have it’s demons.

That said it’s a great time shopping for boats, enjoy!!!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have the Crestliner 182 Tournament Series 135 Opti and kicker, double bubble. After owning a Lund which is a good boat I really tiered of fighting the wind. With the high sides which is a plus in big, big waves but a real minus in winds, boat control for me was agonizing and tiring. The Crestliner TS is a totally different animal then the Fishhawk. Different hull different layout one of the best tracking hulls in the 182TS series for trolling in a tin boat. If I was looking I would have to look at the Crestliner 192TS series

IMPO As far a dry ride there is no boat that is totally dry in certain conditions I don`t care what the owner says. Your going to get wet at some point period granted some are better then others. Drivers have a big influence on how dry the ride can be.

Dry storage I don`t believe there is a boat with dry storage that I would throw my digital camera in with out being in a ziplock IMPO.

As Brian says they all have there demons.

Good luck and have fun in your search.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What type of fishing do you like to do and where do you like to fish. Need to find a boat that matches what what you want to do in it.

Mine is a 1750 navigator tiller with a 75 yamaha on back. Lots of room in that boat for pitching and lots of room in the back end for working out of. I do a lot of anchor to cast the wingdams and long line trolling on the river.

There are a few guys on here that run the same boat with a console. Would be interesting to hear how they preform.

I have never owned a pro V but from listening to others think it handles big water better than the navigator.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I am sure I am not the only one to have purchased a boat from a brochure and or countless hours of web-site studying. Sometimes what is on paper doesn’t pan out in real time use. I encourage you to make every effort to drive what ever brand you end up deciding on. I personally have made that mistake more than once.

mojogunter

I agree. This site could be a great tool in finding the right boat. If there is a model you want to try, you could post here, and ask if there is a member that has the boat you would like to fish in. Most guys would be open to taking a guy out in their boat for a day. If nothing else it is a good excuse to get out on the water. They also would have first hand knowlege of its strengths, and weak points. If you are thinking about a Ranger 621 I would gladly take you out.

Quote:

I am sure I am not the only one to have purchased a boat from a brochure and or countless hours of web-site studying. Sometimes what is on paper doesn’t pan out in real time use. I encourage you to make every effort to drive what ever brand you end up deciding on. I personally have made that mistake more than once.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run a Navigator 175 full windshield with a 150 e-tec. It is a very dry ride I think, but you can still get wet in the right conditions. Compartments stay as dry as any of my previous boats, but in a heavy rain, they do get wet. I love fishing out of it. Would buy another if that was my price range again. The layout and ride of that boat was the best of the tin boats I test drove. Test drive whatever you are seriously considering. You won’t be sorry for doing that.

matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

X3 on the test drive. Wouldn’t have my WX1950 if a certain ringleader hadn’t talked me into taking it out on the water. Sure glad he did.

The test drive is critical because everybody’s opinion of “handling chop” and “dry” seem to be a little different. Not saying they are wrong, just different. If you’d test drive a 25k car you might want to consider the same for an equally expensive boat.

craigniu

Thank to all thus far. As Dean and many of you said, it’s really hard to spend this much money out of a brochure. I would like to test drive some of the models I’m looking at. Just hard to find the owners or a dealer who is willing to allow that.
    But, I see a couple offers and I’d hate to impose you guys, but I might have to.

hawkeye27

hey mojo is that the chick off of greys anatomy bouncing on left side there

mojogunter

She is from the movie click

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Craigs List has some nice alumacrafts 175 on there, a Nice Trophy in Lino Lakes for $17 grand is a steal. And a Red Nav side console you are looking for $15,000 Check them out

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

X6 on the test ride, we all have our favorite brands for many different reasons. If you take the time to fish out of every boat you’re considering you will be much happier. Price point, Warranty, Handling, and Fishability will all be a little easier to make your decision after you fish out of them. I am running the 2011 185 Dominator Sport, Alumacraft really did a good job with this boat.

mikee
    Aitkin, MN

My brother in law in Kansas has an 18 foot Tracker boat and I (being a Minnesota Lund owner) really like that boat. There are things in that boat that Lund does not put in and they are really handy. Being a Lund owner, when I decide to get a new boat, I will seriously consider a Tracker Targa. JMO.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Where do you plan on using the boat?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

At first I thought that was a silly question.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Quote:

At first I thought that was a silly question.

WOW at First I thought it was the Edmund Fitzgerald!

KirtH
    Lakeville

Poor mans hot tub Can of beans some cheap beer and a bathtub You are easily amused aren’t you

The poor FW

PS turn the fan on

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Ok, I need some advice.
    Looking for a 17-19ft boat. Can’t quite afford the 619VS (unless it’s very used), so I’m looking at a 17/18 foot aluminum now.

Seems like the Alumacraft 175 Navigator is best for what I need. Combo of big water, smaller water and 2-3 angler castability.

But, I’ve noticed used Alumacraft Magnums, Lund 1700 anglers and 1800 explorers that are cheaper than a new Navigator.

Just looking for opinions here:
    Will they all handle big chop?
    Are some drier than others in waves? (opted away from Crestliner, as I hear they are wetter. Not sure if that’s true)
    Heard Lund storage compartments may leak. Do all boats’ compartments leak in heavy rain?

Thanks for you opinions.

I bought a new boat in 2008 and spent at least the previous year comparing all the aluminum boat brands. The Lund Explorer 1725 is the ideal boat for my needs. All the storage is amazing, especially the 10-tube center rod locker and battery storage in the basement below that. The 115hp Optimax pushes up to 40mph with great fuel and oil economy.
    The one disappointment I have is the lack of planning on how to drain water. Everything is foam-filled so there’s no place for water to drain through the floor. It puddles in the seat pedestals and cannot drain. The cup holders have drain nipples on them, which drain into the storage areas so I had to put a cheap plastic cap on those to prevent that problem.
    The storage compartments are not advertised to be dry storage so you should expect some water to get in there. I just learned to use 2 gallon ziploc bags to store hats, gloves, towels, etc. But like I said, once the compartment is wet there’s no place for the water to drain. So you gotta take your stuff out and dry it out. It is annoying considering my two previous Alumacrafts didn’t have the issue. If your boat is indoors most of the time, you may never notice. I spend a lot of time at a resort where we have a permanent camper and the boat sits outside, so it gets rained on quite a bit.
    Overall, I wouldn’t trade this boat for any other brand or model (except maybe an 1825).

John S.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.