Where to get a rod guide replaced?

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

My big-game gear consists of a Shimano Baitrunner 4500B spinning reel on a Shimano Talora lead-core trolling rod. What I didn’t realize until recently is that, while bigger than the average bait-caster guide, the guide closest to the reel isn’t as big as your average spinning rod guide, either.

I’d like to get the old guide removed and a new bigger guide installed, but I’ve never looked to do something like this on purpose before.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to either get the part or take it to get this done? I’m somewhat willing to try doing it on my own, if I can find the parts… I just have NO idea where to even start!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Bring it to thorne bros. I want to say it’s like 15 bucks to have them replace a guide.

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

Yes bring it to Thorne Bros. I just had a smushed guide replaced. They did great work!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Bring it to thorne bros. I want to say it’s like 15 bucks to have them replace a guide.

Spot on, Chap.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

Thanks, Tim! I’ve read up on the process and I have to admit that the idea of doing it myself was a bit indimidating… all that wrapping and epoxying and stuff. Ugh.

I’ll look up Thorne Bros and see about taking it in.

Any idea how long the rod will be out of commission with this change?

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Any idea how long the rod will be out of commission with this change?

It shouldent take more than a day or 2. But give the shop a call to see how busy they are (763)572-3782 ask for Lonnie

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

I just had two of my rods fixed, only $10 a piece at Thorne Bros. They did a fantastic job!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.