4 Blade Props

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

How many of you are running 4 blade props? What are you feelings on 4 blade props?

I have been told to try a 4 blade prop on my Alumacraft Magnum 165 tiller with a Johnson 60 4 stroke. The boat is very stern heavy and the bow feels very light when on plane. I was told I need a stern lifting prop and not a bow lifting prop due to the weight of the motor and the driver being in the back of the boat. I was told a 4 blade Power Tech would be a good choice.

Do you guys think this may help keep the bow down and give a better overall ride especially in some chop?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I would be greatly interested in this as well as my boat is very stern heavy with the gas tank in the rear of the boat (1600 Crestliner Superhawk. I am almost ready to put some cinder blocks in the bow to even it out. I have no idea why they put the gas tank back there is this boat.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

I’ve always have run a 4 blade BRP cyclone prop on my 620T’s with 150 E-Tec motors. In rough water is where they really shine. Hole shot is outstanding and in rough water, they keep boat up on top. Maybe lose a little top end over a 3 blade viper, but still happy with 49mph top end. It seems alot faster sitting in a tiller! I think you would probably be happy with them if you can find one to fit your motor.
    Walleyebry #993

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I have a 4 blade prop that came with my ranger and I think it’s the one you guys are talking about. I will never use it and I don’t think it was ever used. Has all the parts that come with it, PM if are interested in buying it. I haven’t had a chance to post it.

jonathandeblieck
    quad cities, il

i have a similar set up 16-1/2 lowe with a 60 hp 4 stroke merc. i run a three blade 90% of the time, but throw on a 4 blade when i have another guy or two and gear. I lost about 4 mph, but it helps alot getting on plane.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I don’t have any problem getting on plane with the three blade 17 pitch I am running. My main concern is how light the bow feels and how much it bounces around in any kind of chop. I was told a prop with less bow lift and more stern lift might run real well on my boat.

threewayguy
    minnesota

I run a high five on my 620 tiller with a 125hp merc. Top speed is compromised with outstanding holeshot and boat control.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve never heard of a prop that was refered to as a good stearn lift. What the 4 and 5 blade prop will do is give you a lot of bow lift to the point the whole boat runs higher in the water. It’s not like is is going to lift the stearn and push the bow down.

-J.

jerry b
    western WI

I run a 4 blade aluminum on my Warrior 1890BT. The 115 Yammi is heavy. The 4 blade gives a better hole shot and back trolls better. It’s not quite as fast WOT but you’ll only notice it on the gps. It takes a little work to get optimum performance but knowing a good prop guru will solve any problems you might encounter-jerr

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Quote:

I’ve never heard of a prop that was refered to as a good stearn lift. What the 4 and 5 blade prop will do is give you a lot of bow lift to the point the whole boat runs higher in the water. It’s not like is is going to lift the stearn and push the bow down.

-J.

Jon, if you check out Powertech’s website they talk about stern lifting props alot. I am not very familar with Powertech so maybe they don’t know what they are taking about but they mention some of their props as having good stern lift. Thanks for the help.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I have a 4 blade prop that came with my ranger and I think it’s the one you guys are talking about. I will never use it and I don’t think it was ever used. Has all the parts that come with it, PM if are interested in buying it. I haven’t had a chance to post it.

My apologies gentlemen, it is a mercury marine High Five prop-5 blades. It was bought meant to be used on a suzuki 140 in certain situations but was never needed.

ted-merdan

Quote:

-J.

I am no prop expert by any means but I have been told the Merc Hi-5 and certain 4 blades – especially the Merc Revolution 4 do a good job with stern lift… I believe that’s why the hi five basically doesn’t lift the bow on the hole shot…

The Rangers are definitely models that need stern lift assistance to get as much of the hull out of the water as possible to get top performance from the motors in my experience.

Walleyebry – what pitch cyclone are you running on your 620T/150 E-Tec and what year is the boat?

Thanks!

-ted

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Quote:

I am no prop expert by any means but I have been told the Merc Hi-5 and certain 4 blades – especially the Merc Revolution 4 do a good job with stern lift… I believe that’s why the hi five basically doesn’t lift the bow on the hole shot…

The Rangers are definitely models that need stern lift assistance to get as much of the hull out of the water as possible to get top performance from the motors in my experience.

Walleyebry – what pitch cyclone are you running on your 620T/150 E-Tec and what year is the boat?

Thanks!

-ted

With that outlook one would think any stern heavy boat would benefit from a stern lifting prop. The prop would eliminate or help porposing, keep the bow down, and raise the stern so the boat would plane and ride like it was designed to do. There is only one way to find out fur sure and that is by trying it. I will report back with my results.

Thanks Guys.
    Mike

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Ted, I am running an 18″ cyclone. Still havent reached proper RPM at WOT. The boats a 2008 with 2010 150 E-Tec 150hp. Used to get new boat every year but wasnt happy with new design in 2009. So sold motor and kept boat. (Pro-Staff). Boat still has great top end. Also may try 17″. Have a new one in box.
    Walleyebry #993

ted-merdan

Sounds familiar to me on both the boat set-up (’06) with a ’10 motor – I do have a 6″ hydralic jackplate on mine and play around with that setting quite a bit. Also knew I didn’t want the ’09 or newer hulls – not to mention the price… Ran the 17p cyclone last week on Mille Lacs w/ light fuel and only my two labs with me but had to be slipping badly as I was only getting 5200 R’s and 44-45mph – prop’s in great shape but must need more cup or something… My 18 need a bit of work after loaning the boat out but like you still didn’t get the correct R’s @ wide open… I tried a 19P high 5 that was also great out of the hole but it liked to be run very high on the plate… It has forward trolled the best – 1.6 w/o bags and almost hovers when backtrolling because of the limtited reverse thrust.

Clearly love the overall performance but would like an all around prop

Ahhh the quest for optimal performance!

-ted

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have 2 “High 5’s” one a 19 from my old 140hp IO on the 1850 Tyee and a 21 now that I’ve been running on my 350 v8 IO on the 1950 Tyee. Great on both ends! Hole shot to pull 4 skiers from dead stop and top end of 52 mph. In gear for pulling cranks at 3 Mph and use a drift sock to slow her down to 3/4 to 1 mph. Prob should sell the smaller one, never put it on this boat, just kept it for a spare. I’m sold on them! However never had anything else to compair it to.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.