Guides making noise?

• sandacz

I bought a new rod today – St.Croix Avid. When I looked at it at home I noticed that the two lowest guides make scratching noise when you move them. Is this a concern, does it mean they are busted? Or is it normal?

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

What do you mean by move them? Is the clear epoxy that goes around the foot of the guide over the wrapping cracked or white looking instead of clear? Is the ceramic insert loose at all?

sandacz

No, it doesn’t feel loose. When I grab the guide in my fingers and move it slightly it makes noise – the other guides don’t. I noticed the same thing on some older rods but never on a new one so was just wondering if it was normal.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Guides making noise

Here’s an easy fix!

Give ’em a beer. Worked well for me with Dustin Stewart!

(ok, I’m out of here…. )

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

They stand behind their rods , give them a call.715-762-4385

From Jeff

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

They stand behind their rods , give them a call.715-762-4385

From Jeff

I’m guessing you are flexing the large ceramic “O” ring back and forth? Hmmmm never tried that…the ring is mounted in the frame and generally there has to be a little give there, but I don’t think it would stand up to too much lateral torque like a recoil guide would…let us know what they say…

scottsteil
    Central MN

I don’t think you have a problem. I would fish with it and see if you have an issue.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I would say you dont have any issues. If nothing is loose, bent or broke I would say your fine. If your worried about it or something does happen with it give st. croix a call and they will help ya out.

sandacz

Thanks. I don’t think it’s a problem either. My friend looked at it today and said it should be fine. He also uses the same rods.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.