05 MERC 115 FOUR STROKE MAKING OIL

• veamer
    Kekoskee, WI

I have a year old motor, which I broke in per Merc Marines instructions. I had it professionly winterized last season. This season I took it out for a short test run, then to Lake Erie for a 4 day trip. I used it one time on Lake Winnebago once I returned home for a total of maybe 6 hours on the engine since winterizing. I checked the oil and it was way overfull. I questioned Merc on this and my service dealer and was asked if I used the motor for trolling, especially in cold water…Last year I used it out on Lake Mich about 6 times. Apparently I am told I have glazed my cylinders thus letting gas into the crankcase. I am instructed to change the oil and run the poop out of it. I did this and maybe put an hour on it and checked the oil and it is already showing a substantial amount overfull. Changing oil gets expensive at $5 a quart and 5 quarts. I am told I will have to do this several times before it clears up. Anyone else have this trouble. I guess I am going to need a kicker now… good idea anyway for backup on bigger waters.
    -Satch

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve read about this problem on other forums. You are not the only one out there. Do as the dealer said. You really want to work the motor. That does not mean fast. Tow another boat around the lake on 1/2 plane for a day….a really hot day!

-J.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

This same thing happened to my F150 Yamaha. I pampered it and trolled with it when it was new, thus, it started making oil. Same scenario…..I changed out the oil about 3 times, but used RingFree in the fuel during(a little more than recommended) each of the oil changes. It doesn”t make oil anymore, I run it hard, and don’t troll with it anymore. I also use RingFree with every fill up, along with SeaFoam…..I really wish these four stroke engine builders would not give us the wrong method of breakin…I followed exactly what they said in the book…seems you did also..

veamer
    Kekoskee, WI

What type of store do you purchase ring free at? I never used anything like that before but appreciate the infor and will look into it. I have used seafoam and been happy with the results.
    Thanks.
    Ps.. Just purch a new 05 Merc 9.9 four stroke kicker. Any recommendations on break in with this? Book pretty much sounds similiar as I did with the 115.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

RingFree is a Yamaha product. I know all Yamaha dealers sell it, and Mercury may make a similar product.

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Heard of another person in my area with the same problem.
    Kept getting fuel in the oil.
    He was told that you need to run it hard at first to seat the rings.
    He took it to the river and beat the crap out of it for a day and it is fine now.
    This is second hand info, use at your own risk !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.