Moving into the 21st century, buying a Cell Phone?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I am trying to move into the 21st century and get a cell phone. I know BIG DEAL, for me it is.
    The Wife has been bugging me so I thought that one for Mothers day might work.
    Anyone like there Plan?
    I am looking at spending around $40/month and do not need anything more than a basic phone…that works
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Wood,

You should be able to get quite a few minutes for $40 per month and most companies will give you a phone for signing up with them. It is hard to say which service company to go with, as coverage varies from state to state. I use US Cellular here in LAX and there is very good coverage in this area. My wife does a lot of traveling across the country so she uses Sprint so she does not have to pay long-distance or roaming when she is away.

I’d go visit a few dealers and check their coverage maps and see what they have to offer as far as the phone itself. Signing a one or two year contract seems to be the norm.

Good luck.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

All the companies have there good points and bad points. I personally have Verizon Wireless, have had them for 5 years now and don’t have one complaint about their service. I know that when I go on trips with my buddies they allways ask to use my phone because they have no service or are roaming. Others will same the same about their companies also. You have to look at who is going to give you the best deal and go from there. My second choice would be Cingular if I ever had to switch, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Good Luck

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Be sure to check out Midwest Wireless! I have Cingular, but family members use Midwest and it seems like it’s great for them since they use fewer minutes than I do. Great coverage in rural areas, too, so far as I can tell. Better than my plan for rural areas, and mine’s pretty decent.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Be sure to check out Midwest Wireless! I have Cingular, but family members use Midwest and it seems like it’s great for them since they use fewer minutes than I do. Great coverage in rural areas, too, so far as I can tell. Better than my plan for rural areas, and mine’s pretty decent.

I think it really depends on where you live for which company you should go with. For me here in far SE corner of MN Midwest Wireless has the best coverage (the most towers) of any company out there bar none hands down. I am on the Tri State plan no roaming in MN, WI, & IA, I have used it as far as Bemidji and so far and have had no problems. I had AT&T before they merged with Cingular and to put it simply they sucked, I hear that since they merged they are even worse. My sister in law has Sprint and her phone does not work at my house so they would not work for me because Wendy and I just have cell phones now we got rid of the home phone. I think what it all boils down to is to find out which company has the most towers in your home area or where you use your phone the most. Good luck in your search for a new company.

Midwest Wireless Tri State Plan

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

MY WIFE AND I HAVE US CELLUAR AND JUST SWITCHED IT TO NATION WIDE, WE SHARE 800 ANYWHERE ANYTIME MINUTES (NEVER COME CLOSE TO USING THEM ALL) BUT I CAN’T REMEMBER THE PRICE. COVERAGE IS VERY GOOD AND WHEN I’M OUT IN NORTH DAKOTA DUCK HUNTING MY PHONE WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT GOT A SIGNAL, SAME FOR UTAH. BIG PRICES FOR ROAM WHICH IS WHY WE SWITCHED TO ANYWHERE ANYTIME.
    GIVE THEM A CALL WE ARE HAPPY WITH THEM.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

Verizon…..best calling area, best service, almost best prices. I have had them for 3 years, had 2 dropped calls, and have had service from coast to coast, Canada to Mexico. 500 minutes, no roaming charges, and $39.95 permonth, add a phone for another $9.99

My wife even called me from Ireland, England, and Scotland. No charges.

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Quote:

Verizon…..best calling area, best service, almost best prices.

Ditto

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

First let me say…..IT’S ABOUT FREAKIN TIME!!!

Then let me say…..MIDWEST WIRELESS!!!

as you may have noticed, Winona is in a hole ……There are only a few companies that work well down here…..Some don’t work at all…….Midwest wireless works in town and on the river (where it might come in handy for you every once and a while ).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.