Marine Radio and Antenna??

• DMan
    Long Lake IL.

I am looking to buy my first VHF radio and antenna to install on my 17 ft Lund. The antenna selection seems more complicated than the choice of radio. This will be used on Great Lakes and inland waters. Any suggestions for my radio and antenna matching. Looks like all this can be purchased for under $200.00.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Contact Wade via a PM. He owns Jolly Ann Marine. He is a great guy and will help you immensely.

Ron

timewing

D Man-I fish the great lakes quite a bit bought a new Lowrance LVR-850 last year and it works great. paid about 120.00 with the antenna.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Just be sure and get a long 8′ antenna. Not a 36″

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Another vote here for Wade from Jolly Ann Marine also. No tax, free shipping. 1st class outfit.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Another vote here for Wade from Jolly Ann Marine also. No tax, free shipping. 1st class outfit.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

Already left him a PM. Thanks!!

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Quote:

Just be sure and get a long 8′ antenna. Not a 36″

Question, I’m quite familiar with 2-way radio, is the difference in antennas that noticeable on the water?
    I know the ‘8 antenna is 6 db gain vs the 36″ which is 3 db gain. In reality this is a difference of 3 db and should be noticeable, but not terrible. But water can change things.
    The reason I ask is that I will be considering a radio setup myself in the future.
    I would prefer the 36″ antenna, but if the general consensus is go with the ‘8, that is what I will go with.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, just want to get experienced opinions.
    Thanks

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

With VHF, it’s generally the taller the better.

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

another vote for Wade, I ordered my antenna from him on a Friday after noon, and it arrived Monday, incredible service and super fast free shipping

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I also just got mine from Wade in a day and the lowest price around!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Personally, I don’t care much for an 8 footer. Way to long and in the way most of the time. Not to mention the thing swinging around like a whip in rough water. (I also run a 17.5 ft boat)

I opted for the 4 foot Shakespere “Little Giant”. Very good antenna that easily covers the waters I fish – mainly Mille Lacs.

One option you do have. Keep a back up 8 footer in your rod locker with the pl-259 wired up. If you are out on the Great Lakes and need the 8 footer, plug it in and hold it over your head when transmitting. (Not a bad idea to have a back up anyway when on the big water.)

Just an idea that has worked very well for me.

-J.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

My problem still lies in the antenna selection, I would prefer the shorter stick. Most all say stay with the 8 foot antenna for distance. But I talk to many people who are happy with a handheld unit that only puts out 5 watts max. I will stay with the option from Wade at this time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.