Over heat with a drift sock

• matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Alright so I spend %80 of my time on the ice.
    I currently cannot afford an ideal set up other wise I know what I’d do. I can’t get my 75 hp to idle down to troll in the 2 mph range. Therefore I’m forced to give the trolling motor a workout. Ok great and all but man does that do a number on a young guy. I’ve heard of a few that troll with their main motor pulling a drift sock. Some people claim this can easily cause the engine to over heat. I figure if your impeller is sucking in water then you should be OK. Anyone know the physics behind this? Is this a safe way to get-r-done until I can get college paid off?

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

I troll with a drift sock all of the time and have never had any problems, nor have I heard of anyone else having any. I’m no expert but I don’t think it is bad for them, like you said as long as the water is running through them I think it’ll be fine.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Shouldn’t be a problem Matt.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Same here. I trolled for a week straight at Mille Lacs last fall with a sock tacked to my front cleat. Kept the rope short enough to keep out of the motor, but long enough to deploy. I ran the smaller Drift Control brand. It worked PERFECT! Plus the steering was hardly effected with the smaller bag.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Until I got the best kicker motor ever made, I was doing the same thing Matt. Never an issue with my 115.

Anyone notice what Tuck said??

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Anyone notice what Tuck said??

Huh?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Tuck, Kooty thinks any paragraph with the words “sock” and “bag” in it is a regular sit com. But, it is Kooty we’re talking about here.

TGM
    Lakeville,MN.

I got it koot…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Boy, good thing it had nothing to do with my cleat!

Hey Kooty….

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Do you keep your cleat trimmed up? Git-r-done

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Until I got the best kicker motor ever made, I was doing the same thing Matt. Never an issue with my 115.

Kooty when did you get a new Mercury 9.9 HP Pro Kicker ????

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Lord, I apologize!! I’m still about the responses I have in my sick little mind!

Rob, Don’t make me put a whoopin’ on you Merc guys again. All these years and Merc finally decided to get in the game and try to compete. We’ll see how that motor does after 3-4 years of use.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Dup…Dup…Dup

Another one bites the dust…

Are you having a good day, Chris?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Matt, have you considered the Hydro Troll ? I am getting one for my 115hp. Looks like a good fit, and simple.

big g

Hydro Troll

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Do you keep your cleat trimmed up? Git-r-done

Sure…Don’t wanna be lookin’ like the guys from ZZ Top…

Lord I apologize fer dat right der….

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Or dont wanna be flushing roosters from that thing.

Sorry Matt, didnt mean to highjack your thread..

Socks have worked fine for me and the hydro-troll works too..

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Kooty that was you and the BIG BLUE putting the Whoopin’ on Me and My BLACK & RED machine???? Oh sorry, I thought that was just a little bitty fly that had landed on my back. I barely noticed anything.

If that is all you and your Yammy T8 has got. MERCURY and I have nothing to worry about

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ditto Dereks comment Matt.

I was in a simliar situation with my 135 optimax, when I bought it. I used the Troll Master from Cabelas ($99.99). Is it as good as a kicker?????? Defineitly not, but I did not have the cash yet for a kicker and needed a temporary soultion. I used it and was happy with it. Cabelas has their model with pins in it if you forget and leave it down. The pin is suppose to break, sometimes it does other times it doesn’t. Matt if you are thinking Hydro Troll, give me a PM I have some info for you.

jldii

Rob,

If you can’t set Kooty straight, let me know, I’ll jump in!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Lip, I’m running to Cabelas 2nite, and was gonna grab a hydro troll too. Whats your insight, pm me please.

big g

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

Never a problem here do it all the time!!

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

I’ve never had any trouble either with my 100

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

You may consider a smaller pitched prop for trolling.

I found a brand new 13 pitch aluminum prop for my Yami F75 for half price on Ebay.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

If you can’t set Kooty straight, let me know, I’ll jump in!!

Jack, you just need to keep things into Kooty’s small brain. He is just a little slow, but we need to give him a break. He is from SD

Dropshot
    Bristol, WI.

Tried it out last summer and was overheating in about ten minutes of trolling. Don’t know why? I have a 200 yamaha hpdi.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.