Evinrude E-tec Question

• average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Hey Guys

I’m now the proud owner of a 2007 Ranger 619VS. She came rigged with an Evinrude E-tec 225 H.O.

I had the motor checked out at Frankie’s before I bought the boat and she tested very well. It also has a surprisingly low 46 hours on it.

Does anybody here have any experience with the E-tec H.O? Has anybody had any problems with this particular year? I’ve read several threads online where many people were bashing E-tec’s due to them blowing power heads Not sure if I need to be concerned or not Thanks!!

Palerider77

Run good oil, let it warm up before you stand on it, should be good. 1 guy has bad luck and tells 1000. Another has good luck and tells 3. I would enjoy the new boat!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Run good oil, let it warm up before you stand on it, should be good. 1 guy has bad luck and tells 1000. Another has good luck and tells 3. I would enjoy the new boat!

X2, you only ever seem to hear bad things. Treat it right and it should treat you right. Good luck.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the heads up

I’ve never owned an E-tec, but I owned a Fict which was the precursor to the E-tec and it was a great motor. I only used the Evinrude oil and never had a problem.

I agree with you 100%. You always seem to hear peoples complaints about something, but rarely do you hear their praises

I was just concerned cause I had read somewhere that at some Bass tournament, 3 boats had to be towed in due to blown power heads

That got me thinking, I know most bass guys tend to run their stuff really hard all the time. So was it bad design? Was it guys beating on them to much with out letting them warm up? or what? Cause I know theirs a TON of those motors out there

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

I have the same setup on my boat. I run xd-100 only. I have been very happy and have over 500 hours. Here’s the 2 problems I’ve had. Water sensor did it’s job and shut down motor until system was restored. No biggie. Here’s the biggie. My boat has had 3 lower units. The originals are not strong enough geared for the horsepower from the top. Evinrude came out with a lower unit design that hasn’t failed now in 2.5 years. I think they call it the M2. With all this I have loved the boat and motor. Have fun! Let’s see a picture.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I’ve owned three Etecs and enjoyed each one of them. I currently have an HO and you will love that engine. I also recommend good oil–that being the Evinrude XD100. Your 225 ho calls for it and there is no better or more economical option. I have always been an AMSoil advocate but I would not switch from XD100. Make sure you use an Etec trained technician because the engine is nothing like any other and requires specialized training. I also highly recommend joining the following site for insight into the workings of Etec engines and support: http://www.etecownersgroup.com/
    I am jazzman1161 on the site.

tbrooks11

My dad bought a much smaller 30 horse Evinrude Etec new in 2012. It ran great for a few days, but for some reason the motor would overheat and change to another mode where its max speed severely decreased. He took it to a few different small engine shops and even when they said they fixed it, the problem kept repeating. He eventually gave up with it and bought a new boat/motor. Sorry to be “that guy”, just trying to help.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I have a 05 225 Etec and have only had two issues, a fuel injector back 09 and a lift pump in 13. I have heard the same stories about blown power heads, but never from any of the guys who I know have them. My mechanic claims he rebuilds more Etec’s then any other motor, so I do believe there are some issues, thankfully not with mine.

Anonymous

You will love it. Great motor. I had one on my triton.
    Never left me hang.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for your input everyone

Bob – I went a head and signed up on that site, I’m Average_Joe on there too

I’ll make sure to get me some of that XD-100 oil for sure!!

Waldo – Is that lower unit you have, the same one they’re using in all the new motors?

Here’s the only picture I have at the moment. I just picked her up last week and I haven’t had any time to get her organized. I’ll get some more pics this week after I get her all set up

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

That is one sharp looking rig! I’ll look for you on the website in the V6 forums. I’m one of the first 90 HO owners and I’m lovin’ that engine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.