what is wrong with my outboard

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

2003 Johnson 30R, Pull cord. Sometimes when I pull the cord it acts differently. I get some slack when I pull the cord and I hear a little clunk and it obviously doesn’t turn over the motor. I pull it again and it works fine. Is this a serious issue? What do the wrench guys think it will take to fix it? Thank you in advance for your help.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Sounds like the dog isn’t engaging to the fly-wheel properly. Take the cover off and spray some WD 40 up in there. Maybe.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Yep, sounds like a broken pawl (there are 2) or spring that holds the pawl. If one is broken or not engaging, it has to go around to the other one. You can take just the starter off and bring it to a shop and they will fix it quick, or you can try to do it yourself. Just don’t loosen the top nut or the spring can escape, then you have a whole other can of worms to deal with.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You guys are great thanks. My neighbor is a small engine repair instructor. Now I know what question to ask him before I trade him some snow removal for engine work.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Take the cowling off and it’s easy to see how the recoil system works. When you pull the ripcord, a small “dog” gear flies out and engages the teeth on the flywheel.

It could be as simple as the shaft that the “dog” gear rides on somtimes gets dirty and full of dried grease and grit, so the gear won’t fly up and engage the teeth of the flywheel or won’t do so cleanly. A gentle cleaning with WD-40 usually solves this issue.

Or as already mentioned, you could be missing teeth on that little gear.

All of these are fairly easy fixes.

Grouse

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Also make sure your tiller handle is set to the start position. If it is just a little off, the gears will not engage.

-J.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.