Terrova took a dump – anyone else see this problem

• John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I was out yesterday and my terrova took a dump on me mid way through the day. Was working fine in the morning, and then suddenly the prop stopped working when the motor was down. If I pulled it up part way, it would work. I got it to work once by pulling it up and getting the prop going and then dropping it the rest of the way. It worked for about 10 minutes and then stopped completely. I-pilot and pedal, same result. Steering and autopilot still work fine. I did notice it was making a thumping noise in the motor when the prop was turning prior to quitting all together. I pulled the prop and checked for line and checked the shear pin. All fine.

I plan to call minn kota later today, just thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this issue. Motor is 4 months old.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Brin it with on Friday John,
    We can drop it at J-Mans in Harpers Ferry.. He does a great job for Minn Kota… Is it less then 2 years old ?

trophy185
    Zumbrota

I also have had a problem with my Terrova. I notice that in 10 min is will just shut off completely. When I use the I pilot remote the power shuts of also. I will also be contacting Minn kota about my issue. I purchased it from cabelas this spring and 1200 dollars it better work better than it did this summer. Anyone else?

randeye
    Hudson

I got my Terrova in April 2011 (36V). I noticed it started to over steer when using the remote. This went of for a while and last weekend i lost the turning completely both on the remote and the foot control. Speed still works just no turning. I contacted Minn Kota they told me to take it to a Minn Kota sevice center and they would determine what the problem is and fix it.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Mine did this before I added the 60amp breaker, once I installed that I haven’t had any issues.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I don’t know if my breaker is a 50 or 60 amp. I don’t think that is the issue though since everything works except for the prop. Wouldn’t everything stop working if the breaker tripped?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Brin it with on Friday John,
    We can drop it at J-Mans in Harpers Ferry.. He does a great job for Minn Kota…

Couldn’t agree more. You won’t be disappointed.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

possibly, I know before I put the 60amp in the remote would show it on and working but the prop wouldn’t work. I know I was confused since they don’t mention needing the 60amp breaker in the manual or anything else.

inge66

Quote:

possibly, I know before I put the 60amp in the remote would show it on and working but the prop wouldn’t work. I know I was confused since they don’t mention needing the 60amp breaker in the manual or anything else.

Had same issue and added the breaker and now everything works great.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

A guy I know had one that would only run about 10 minutes and would shut off. Turned out to be a bad breaker.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If it’s a bad breaker, or the breaker has tripped, the motor won’t steer either. On mine, everything worked except the prop.

Called Minnkota and they said it needed to go to a repair center. Took it to J-Man and he had it fixed in an hour. Turns out one of the brushes came apart, which explained the thumping noise in the motor when it still worked. He replaced the brush and cleaned out the pieces from the old brush. All is good now.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

J-Man is quite the guy !! We stopped there in the am… he had the unit diagnosed in no time… We wanted to go fishing so he said stop back when ever… John, Kevin and I spent the day fishing out of my boat all day and towards the afternoon we tied up to his dock.. J-man came down with a couple of cold adult beverages and sent us on our way with Johns TM all fixed up…

Well Done J-Man… you definitely do Minn Kota proud !!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.