Engel Bait Cooler

• Jake Jacobs

Anybody have any experience with an Engel Bait Cooler?

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I have the 19 quart. Its works great, however the first thing I did was replace the aerator. The one that came with it was noisy. So I replaced it with a Frabill Aqua-Life that comes with a 12 volt adaptor.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

My 19 qt is 3 years old and still works well.

Mwal

Hoyt4
    NULL

They work great and can sure take a beating. I have one for the last two winters with no issues.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I almost bought one. Ive read that they are great. rather than spending the money on that I simply used a 10QT coleman cooler with a bubbler. i left bait in the boat for 2.5 days in summer heat and with daily water changes didn’t lose one minnow. i think the engel being able to close tight on the lid would help avoiding a spill with transporting across the ice but other than that a simply cooler setup will perform the same for a fraction of the cost. JMO

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I almost bought one. Ive read that they are great. rather than spending the money on that I simply used a 10QT coleman cooler with a bubbler. i left bait in the boat for 2.5 days in summer heat and with daily water changes didn’t lose one minnow. i think the engel being able to close tight on the lid would help avoiding a spill with transporting across the ice but other than that a simply cooler setup will perform the same for a fraction of the cost. JMO

X2
    I also use a 2 gallon igloo for in the boat.

Those coolers caught my eye at Fleet Farm then I turned and saw what $80 could buy me in lures.

iowa_josh

buy one. not dumping out in back of car worth $80

wiswalleye48
    East Troy, WI

ditto…. I have the 19 quart. Its works great, however the first thing I did was replace the aerator. The one that came with it was noisy. So I replaced it with a Frabill Aqua-Life that comes with a 12 volt adaptor.

check around online I bought my on sale 1 year ago at for $59.99 shipped its more than a Coleman any day It’s a system when you add the Frabill Aqua-Life. in early Aug 1 week, 90 degrees, 7 dozen, left in boat 24/7 on 12v only lost 2 all week, changed water on Wed with lake water

CaptainMusky

I also have the 19 quart and it has worked flawless. I haven’t used it icefishing yet, but that was the main reason I purchased it so it could be locked down and not spill everywhere.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve been thinking about updating this year. I have been using the Clam buckets with the insulated sleeve for the last 7 or so years. The zippers on both of them are broken but the buckets seal tight for transport, which I love. Other than that, they’re kinda junk. Have heard nothing but good about the Engels. I loved the sealed Frabill cooler I had until the latch broke, then broke on the replacement also…doesn’t seem like that’s really possible on the Engel coolers.

Timmy

I received one as a gift. My first thought was that it was a waste of $60. After using it for a yr, I would buy another if I lost it. Very well built.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Yeah, the air pump that comes with is kind of junk. Most have others laying around anyway. The other thing that is suspect is having the handle on the lid. Stanley has come out with a very nice double latch/locking cooler with a completely rubber water proof gasket in a 7q (30) and 16q (50) that are pretty darn nice and a good warranty. Drill one hole in top, put some velcro on the back of your portable air pump and on the lid and have a similar set up. Anyway, great coolers so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-Cooler-16QT-Navy/dp/B00MXL3JFC/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1505831590&sr=1-4&keywords=stanley%2B16&th=1&psc=1

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I also have been looking at those Stanley coolers. They look very well built and I like the handle a lot better. Time will tell which ones go on sale first

CaptainMusky

The other thing that is suspect is having the handle on the lid.

Didn’t your’s have a shoulder strap? Mine does, I find that handy. No issues with the other handle though, just make sure the top is latched first. -)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.