Electronics setup on a tiller boat

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’m wondering about what people like best as far as a setup for sonar/gps on tiller rigs. I’ve been on the web looking for ideas. Many boat companies rig them on the port/left side, and directly across from the man with his hand on the tiller. I have seen a few fishing shows and setups where the screen is on the starboard/right side, and more “in front of” the driver. I think for long periods of graphing this might be a better setup. I have my 9″ screen on a ram mount and I hate leaning way over to look at it when I’m trying to see exact detail on the screen. Any links or mentions of mounting hardware appreciated, as well as pics of a certain setup!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

All mine have been directly across from me. If you need to push alot of buttons and switch screens / functions I can see where having it on your right side might help. Problem is with the size and weight of these screens it would take a pretty stout arm to hold a unit in front of you. Maybe mount another seat pedestal near you and rig something up off of that.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My Grandpa used the biggest strongest ram mount available and had two 12 inch screens on his 2090 warrior tiller. Eventually he had to scrap the ram mount and simply bolt the screen mount directly to the elevated floor because he was often fishing in rough water. The ram mount simply wasn’t strong enough, like Dutch boy already stated. Best fix might be to just get a bigger screen.

B-man

I’d wouldn’t think twice about not mounting on the port side.

Doesn’t matter if I’m trolling, jigging, rigging or motoring, my body is naturally facing that way to some extent.

I’m right handed, my rod is in my right hand and my left hand is on the tiller. The natural side to fish off of and face is the port side.

If you’re a south paw then I could see having your seat and graphs flip-flopped, but other than than it makes no sense.

Here’s how I have my little boat set up, just like 95% of most tiller guys (because it’s the most ergonomic).

I would need a new neck if the graphs were on the starboard side.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190408_112059.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya that’s about what my Grandpa did using those heavy duty ram mounts. They simply couldn’t hold up in the long run because the screens were too big and heavy though.

B-man

….I have my 9″ screen on a ram mount and I hate leaning way over to look at it when I’m trying to see exact detail on the screen. Any links or mentions of mounting hardware appreciated, as well as pics of a certain setup!

If you don’t already have a slider on your seat base I’d recommend one.

I actually have mine set up “sideways” to move left and right instead of forward and back. It puts me in a more comfortable position when on plane (I’m short and have T-Rex arms ) ). By default it also scoots me a little closer to the graphs as well.

Red Eye

I could see an advantage to having a map on the starboard side on long runs. Would be easier to keep eyes on the water in front of you. But other than that not sure why you’d do it.

buschman
    Pool 2

I would go crazy if my graph was on the starboard side..

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

In addition to reasons posted, if you have an electric transom mounted motor you would want the graph on the port side. The guy I bought my boat from added all kinds of fixes/upgrades. He fished a lot of big water and added a leg to the RAM mount. It is a dowel bar out of a hard wood with a rubber end. Never had an issue in rough water with graph moving around.

Attachments:
    1. DSC00031.jpg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have double graphs mounts across on the port side deck too. It’s the most convenient for me. Even on long runs I am kind of facing that way already.

I like the slider mount on the seat sideways idea!! I may have to rig that up this spring! waytogo

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I’ve done it both ways on tillers I’ve had: starboard in “front” of me and port side to the left of me. The time I mounted one starboard was for the same reasons you describe – wanting easier access when running or mapping.

I went back to port side mounting on my current boat as it’s just a more natural sitting position when driving. I did put one of my screens on an extended Traxstech arm that I can move closer to my driver’s seat for ease of reach when mapping. Up when fishing, down when driving. That is working out nicely and the Traxstech has zero possible movement like even the heaviest RAM has had for me in the past.

Attachments:
    1. mount.jpg

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I like how mine are rigged. Homemade swing arm that has a tension screw. For the last 6 years mine has kept enough tension with two graphs on it to not swing or bounce around but still be easy enough to move out of way. Also, the graphs are on johonny ray mounts which I love and have put on both my boats and toon in order to easily move graphs around when I want.

When mapping or searching, and sometimes even when running WOT I have it swung in front of me.

But I move it to the side when fishing so I can do my big hollywood boat walking hooksets!

One last perk is that when I am fishing Lake Trout in Ontario my partner and I can both easily play video game lake trout by just spinning one graph towards him and one towards me.

Also what I like about the swing arms on my V177 is that it moves the graphs off my convenient platform right next to me. Then I can set crap there while fishing/rigging to keep it within reach.

Attachments:
    1. Tiller-graphs-Lake-Trout-spun-both-towards-me-for-pic.jpg

2. Tiller-graph-Lake-Trout-FIL-result.jpg

3. Tiller-graphs-4.jpg

4. Tiller-graphs-2.jpg

5. Tiller-graphs-3.jpg

6. Tiller-graphs-1.jpg

papaperch

Though right handed I prefer the starboard side for my electronics. I have always used my right arm to steer my tiller boats.

I have added a 1242 xsv to the equation this year. I want to mount the older 1040 gpsmap garmin on bottom and the new 1242 on top .

Anyone have a good idea for stack mounting them ? I have found one mount that I like so far at cornfield crappie. Just don’t know if I want to pony up 275 for it.

DRH1175

Anyone try the Balzout mounts? I am looking for a good dual graph mount for my older Lund Pro V. Other option I have seen is to have 2 large ram mounts independantly. Looking to either attach to the floor so it would need to be elevated, or from the side Gunnel.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I did put one of my screens on an extended Traxstech arm that I can move closer to my driver’s seat for ease of reach when mapping.

That is a nice mount. Looks super sturdy

OG Net_Man

I have also seen people fishing with a spinning reel with the reel upside down but….

With a tiller Electronics go on the portside. Have you ever seen a electronics enclosure mounted from the manufacture on the starboard side on a tiller boat from the manufacture?

Now if you are left handed you will need to ask some one else. Do left handed people prefer to drive a tiller with their right hand?

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I don’t really care what the manufacturer does for the majority of people- it doesn’t mean it fits me or how I need the boat to work. Just like carpet- I would never own a boat with it but yet some you can’t even order without it. I’ve never seen a boat that was perfect from the factory ‘for me’. There’s alway items to tweak. My current tiller is too wide to reach any electronics mounted on the port side without standing up and stepping in that direction so I mounted them on my side. And for a few of the reasons stated above like looking at the map while running. I don’t lake fish or back troll though either.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The new Recon tiller is pictured with the electronics on the other side.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Electronics go on the port side… if you have extra money I’d consider mounting a 9” unit on the right side that I could fold out of the way once I’m at a spot. But that’s a waste of money IMO I’d hate to look to the right when I’m always facing either forward or to the left.

OG Net_Man

The new Recon tiller is pictured with the electronics on the other side.

Recon boats are not on my radar but I stand corrected. I viewed their layout but in all honesty that is just wrong for many reasons.

Lets say you are lindy rigging and sitting in this rear seat. You normally would be facing out the side of the boat and you would want your electronics in front of you. This seat is positioned to close to the starboard side to fish out of the starboard side.

Recon also shows it with a seat on the rear deck. Surely in the way of trying to operate a tiller.

Evidently the designers never fished much in a tiller.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Don’t shoot the messenger. I didn’t say I liked it just pointed out what they did on that boat. jester

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.