Electric motor rebuild

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Not a trolling motor, but I have an electric motor that I need rebuilt. It got wet and a little rusty. I cleaned up the best I could and it works, but I want it rebuilt. I work in Eagan and live in Lake Elmo, so any place around either of those that you recommend?

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Maybe a little out of your way but I have used Reliance (see link) in Hudson for years for my business.
    Do wonderful work at, what I feel, very resonable costs.
    They are just south of Fleet farm (2nd right after store)

http://relianceelectric-hudson.com/

Dave maze
    Isanti

Electric motor repair. They are in north minneapolis. They do good work, but it’s not cheap.

sticker

Maybe a little out of your way but I have used Reliance (see link) in Hudson for years for my business.

Thanks, I live about 4 miles west of Hudson so it’s perfect!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mike-west wrote:</div>

Thanks, I live about 4 miles west of Hudson so it’s perfect!

Perfect
    Besides, who doesn’t like to have to drive right by Fleet Farm
    You may tell them that Mike West from MRL Manufacturing/ West Industries reffered you. Have done work with them for close to 30 years. Won’t save to any $’s, but might help get pushed through.

Good luck

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Oh yeh
    Go past the south Fleet Farm road and take next right (Livingstone road)
    1st building on your right

sticker

Will do, thanks Mike!

PS. when my wife asks, you made me stop at Fleet waytogo

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Isn’t Elroy’s still around?” He was on Argenta Trail in Inver Grove Heights, right next door to you.

(651) 454-5672

S.R.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

If I were you I’d put new bearings in it myself and run it. Unless it is over 25hp or a very special motor it usually isn’t worth rebuilding compared to buying new. If it is clean, dry and running OK run it till it fails then rebuild or replace. Opinion based on 30 years selling electric motors.

Matt Coffey

I have quite a bit of experience in rebuilding and rewinding electric motors and would have to say that carnivore hit the nail on the head. I would put bearings and brushes (if applicable) in it, clean it up as best you can and run it till it fails. Then look at repairing or replacing it.
    If you decide to go the diy repair route and you have any questions just shoot me a pm. I’m in Apple Valley and could probably help you out.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Carnivore and Matt have very valid points.
    I would say about 50 + % of the motors we’ve taken in had been scrapped as they said they weren’t worth repairing.
    If you can try to DIY route, it’s good advice.
    They will be honnest and tell you if it’s worth it or not.
    Had a lot of rewound motors last a long, long time though.

sticker

Thanks for the advise. I had a buddy look at it last year. He’s not in that business but a very good mechanic and can fix anything. We cleaned it up the best we could and got it working again, but it is way noisier than it used to be. I have to be honest, I don’t know the first thing about electric motors and not ready to try a DIY fix. They don’t make this motor anymore(I heard from a very reliable source) so just getting a new one might not be an option.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.