Electric Augers, 8 inch Vs. 10 inch and Brand

• Brian Wenzel

Im wanting to buy an electric auger at this year’s st. Paul ice show. Im a big fan of 10 inch holes so im wondering how much slower a 10 inch electric drills versus an 8 inch. Im also a big Jiffy fan so im trying to decide between the new jiffy electric and a strikemaster. Thanks in advance

B-man

My personal opinion is that electric augers have no business turning a 10″ bit.

I haven’t seen a Strikemaster in action with a 10″, but if it’s anything at all like an Ion w/10″ it should be illegal to sell…..

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have the older Strikemaster 9″ Lazer bit best of both worlds LOL

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Unless you truly need a 10″ hole ( Not sure why you would ) I’d stay away from a 10″ if you are going to go electric. A 10′ will cut way down on the # of holes you can drill and also put extra work on whatever electric choice you are going to go with. I do 90% of my fishing with a 6″ hole and haven’t had any problems getting fish thru it. Once in awhile when targeting BIG pike on tip ups I will pull out the old 8″ gas auger. We have landed a fair amount of 15-20 lb. pike thru a 8″ hole without any issues.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Unless you truly need a 10″ hole ( Not sure why you would ) I’d stay away from a 10″ if you are going to go electric.

The folks that might truly want a 10″ hole would be those that have skid houses and maybe wheelhouses. Most do tend to have the larger holes and consider electric to not fill the house with smoke and you drill far fewer holes.

Other than that, I agree an 8″ is probably as big as you’d need for most anything else.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

An electric 10″ auger will turn fine. Just have to factor in ice thickness, temperature, snow/slush on top. Cutting speed will be about the same but battery will drain must faster on the 10″ auger v.s the 8″ auger.

B-man

An electric 10″ auger will turn fine. Just have to factor in ice thickness, temperature, snow/slush on top. Cutting speed will be about the same but battery will drain must faster on the 10″ auger v.s the 8″ auger.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”StrikeMaster 10 Inch Electric Auger Review — Lithium 40v Electric Ice Auger Review” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/2PeZ2jc2_kM?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>
    [/quote

Looks like it drills through 4″ of ice nicely.

It would be nice to see that thing with 30+” of ice.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I have an 8″ Strikemaster. Fantastic.

My buddy has the 10″. He sunfishes with it, but insisted on the 10″ for sight fishing. His auger chops holes about as fast as mine, maybe just a hair slower. Barely noticeable, if at all.

I saw him get about 25 holes one day throughout the day in 24-26″ of ice. It wasn’t draining as fast as expected. I was pretty impressed. I thought it would drain that battery quick. It still had charge when he left.

Naturally you’ll get more holes with an 8″ than a 10″. Worse comes to worse, get a second battery. I’d entirely forget about gas augers. Obsolete.

3Rivers

Plenty of fishermen out there that truly need a 10″ hole. Heck I’d take a 12″ auger if I could find one.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I have the Strikemaster 40v in a 10″ and my brother has the Jiffy. Hands down the Strikemaster is better. Faster and lighter. Either has no problem drilling a 10″ hole. For what it is worth though, the Jiffy does cut a slightly bigger hole than the Strikemaster.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

The 40V will turn a 10″ bit without issue. I use one for lake trout and tip up fishing for pike. If you want a 10″ bit buy one. Don’t let anyone tell you the Strikemaster 40V wont handle it.

Coleman benn

My 10 inch strikemaster 40v cuts faster than a jiffy propane auger and a new eskimo 2 stroke. Whoever says they arent any good for cutting a ten inch hole has never seen one being used.

jgross
    Northeast SD

A group of us use 3 40V SMs on Lake Winnipeg every year in March 4 days straight for 2 years now drilling at least 30 holes a day (per auger), 1 of which has a 10″ lazer bit, it drills no problem through 3′-4′ of ice, I honestly cant say its even much if any slower then the 8″ augers.

Peter Benson

I can tell you with complete certainty to buy the strike master, I’ve had both and the strike master is not even comparable to the others, I’ve raced it and my 8 inch 154 and it was only a few second behind. In 36inch ice with 2 feet of snow on top it still gave me around 50 holes on a battery, an awesome uint over all.

kbeck12

I can back up what JGROSS said. I have the 40V 10”. Used it at Lake Winnipeg last March and drilled 25-30 holes in a day and had plenty of battery life for more.

Brian Wenzel

Thank you to everyone for your input. I will be looking for a 10 inch Strikemaster at the show this year. Does anyone who bought one last year at the St. Paul Ice Show know how much they paid for it?

Rob G

So is strikemaster not selling gas augers anymore? I didnt see any the other day when I was at the store (

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Thank you to everyone for your input. I will be looking for a 10 inch Strikemaster at the show this year. Does anyone who bought one last year at the St. Paul Ice Show know how much they paid for it?

I would bet around $500 for a 10″. I’m just guessing though.

So is strikemaster not selling gas augers anymore? I didnt see any the other day when I was at the store

No more gas

Rob G

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Wenzel wrote:</div>

I would bet around $500 for a 10″. I’m just guessing though.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rob G wrote:</div>
    So is strikemaster not selling gas augers anymore? I didnt see any the other day when I was at the store

No more gas

Dang, do you know if they are still going to make the parts for repairing all the thousands that bought one? I bought that honda one a couple years back

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Dang, do you know if they are still going to make the parts for repairing all the thousands that bought one? I bought that honda one a couple years back

Companies in some industries are legally bound to provide replacement parts for a handful of years after the product is discontinued. I’m not sure if that extends to small engines and ice augers.

Rob G

e industries are legally bound to provide replacement parts for a handful of years after the product is discontinued. I’m not sure if that extends to small engines and ice augers.

Guess would be nice to know but probably wont ever know as they will want people to buy a new one. ugh so might need to sell this thing before it gets too old..

iTinker

I remember an episode where you guys were using ultra small augers on the river. I’d imagine size really depends on the application.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.