Duluth Harbor….

• Jimmy Jones

I was just looking at the web cam on the Canal Park Grandma’s Kitchen and man, there’s a ton of ice being pushed out of the harbor by the wind. Fun to watch. I thought maybe the Coast Guard had their cutter out playing but nope, its parked. 54 degrees right now up there. But like here, way windy.

Yesterday coming home from Centerville after dropping Ma at the daughter’s place I cam home thru Prescott so I could pick up another stash of New Glarus Brewing’s Scotch Red Ale. Love the stuff. Then I continued down on WI35 to Nelson and crossed the dike road, stopping at one pet spot to see if the ice was gone, bad, or otherwise and while it was still ice it looked like crap. I’d bet by Sunday evening its gone. Lower Pepin still had pack ice but the bulk of the upper lake sure was pretty seeing all that open water.

I might till my garden tomorrow.

Riverrat

You can tell who the tourists are, it’s cold in that wind put some layers on them kids.

Jimmy Jones

Its 54 there on the walk right now. Seeing a lot of shorts in spite of that friggin wind. But you’re right, those tourists have a “look” about them. When it’s cold I don’t know how some of them can move.

dirtywater

Most of the people down here are visitors to the high school robotics competition at the DECC. It’s like 85 inside the arena and it’s an all day thing, so a bunch of people are in shorts for that reason.

There are a handful of boats off the point this morning. You will have to zoom wayyyy in to find them. There were only 2 when I took this but I count 7 now. Nice calm morning out there, hope they find the fish.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7370-scaled.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

People out on the Two Harbors breakwater casting too. I recognized one by his mannerisms and where he was located on the wall and called to see if the fish were biting….. nada.

Cw

People out on the Two Harbors breakwater casting too. I recognized one by his mannerisms and where he was located on the wall and called to see if the fish were biting….. nada.

I miss casting off that wall, plus the french and mcquade and well I guess that whole shoreline.

Jimmy Jones

When I am at the cabin, I fish that wall every morning and every afternoon, weather/wind permitting. Take a lot of fine eating from there.

Gitchi Gummi

You can tell who the tourists are, it’s cold in that wind put some layers on them kids.

I’d argue the opposite. The locals are usually the ones pushing the shorts the very minute temps climb to above freezing while getting wide eyed looks from the tourists.

B-man

Most of the people down here are visitors to the high school robotics competition at the DECC. It’s like 85 inside the arena and it’s an all day thing, so a bunch of people are in shorts for that reason.

There are a handful of boats off the point this morning. You will have to zoom wayyyy in to find them. There were only 2 when I took this but I count 7 now. Nice calm morning out there, hope they find the fish.

That’s me on the left rotflol

We were the first boat in that area, lots of skim ice and just a tiny fishable area in that spot. It turned into bumper boats and we left.

Dip$hits running boards way too wide and making unpredictable turns…fun times… evil

B-man

We did. We were in a small area of open water (maybe a half mile by a mile) and catching fish.

Then boat after boat after boat crammed in there. The first few were playing nice and we were doing laps together, then it kept getting worse when other boats came in.

One dude came in with big boards out 150-200′ on each side roll

I honestly don’t know what they were thinking trying to sneak in there, wasn’t near enough room and we found out later at least two boats cuts lines on each other.

Jimmy Jones

I’ll assume some trout and coho?

Too bad the other boats can’t figure things out for themselves. We never put boards out over 75 feet. Plenty of width.

Over the years I have seen some pretty stupid stuff being pulled not only by people who didn’t know what was going on but by some of the charters as well. Takes the fun out of it when people decide stupid is the way to go.

Glad you got some. Great day to be out there. The boys along?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.