Duluth beaches

• Jimmy Jones

The Coho’s must be around on the Park Point beaches this morning . Quite a few people fishing off the Wisconsin side of the shipping channel and have been there since well before daylight.

There were a couple guys on the Two Harbors breakwater earlier too.

Seeing this gets my itchy.

Scenic

They are doing really well up there I am hearing!!! I got the itch too!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

well you fellers best get to scratchin!!!!! devil rotflol

Gitchi Gummi

hot bite out there… probably close to 3 dozen boats out there this morning between park point and the north shore

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Id kill for a couple of fresh coho’s. mmmmmmmmm

With a few smelt on the side….

B-man

hot bite out there… probably close to 3 dozen boats out there this morning between park point and the north shore

Were you out there?

I heard the bite sucked yesterday, lots of guys with 0-1-2-3 fish.

We fished Two Harbors to stay away from all the walleye boats that don’t know the difference between a stand-on and give-way vessel.

It sucked there too though.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gitchi Gummi wrote:</div>

Were you out there?

I heard the bite sucked yesterday, lots of guys with 0-1-2-3 fish.

We fished Two Harbors to stay away from all the walleye boats that don’t know the difference between a stand-on and give-way vessel.

It sucked there too though.

Hmm as I may be out there soon and fall into your category of walleye boat and not knowing “Stand-On” or “give-way”, what is it?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Hmm as I may be out there soon and fall into your category of walleye boat and not knowing “Stand-On” or “give-way”, what is it?

Those are just terms for which boat has right of way, aka if it should continue it’s course (stand-on) or if it should turn to avoid the other boat (give way). Not going to rehash the rules here, but if you’re heading up you should. Also remember most boats run a wide spread, so what is a good give-way distance on your local lake is dangerously close up there (or anywhere boats are running outriggers/planers etc.)

B-man

Ganderpike, it’s referring to “the rules of the road” that you probably already know.

It’s a very basic concept, but there’s soooo many people that don’t follow it. It applies to all power vessels at all speeds (as well as blowboats, kayaks, etc)

It doesn’t matter if you’re in a 14′ Jon boat with one line out or a 42′ Viking with 16 lines out.

I see it all the time where the smaller boat thinks they’re doing the bigger boat a favor by “juking” out of the way (the wrong way), and the bigger boat was expecting them to follow the rules. This leads to confusion, frustration and often tangles/cuss words.

Imagine 80% of the people using a round-about the right way and 20% of people coming at you in the wrong direction.

That’s spring time Lake Superior combat fishing at its finest.

An easy way to remember is “right is right” (any boat to your right/green/starboard has the right of way.

If a boat is to your port/left/red you are “right”. They are seeing your red side. Which is a red light to them. You would see their green side which is a green light to you (to be the stand on vessel).

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240311-143729.png

Gitchi Gummi

Were you out there?

I wasn’t but a friend of a friend had a half dozen right away this morning. Didn’t get a final count.

Graham Redshaw

I was out yesterday 8-1pm. Could not keep them pinned, 1-7. Tough go of it. Duluth side was slow from what I heard.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Ganderpike, it’s referring to “the rules of the road” that you probably already know.

It’s a very basic concept, but there’s soooo many people that don’t follow it. It applies to all power vessels at all speeds (as well as blowboats, kayaks, etc)

It doesn’t matter if you’re in a 14′ Jon boat with one line out or a 42′ Viking with 16 lines out.

I see it all the time where the smaller boat thinks they’re doing the bigger boat a favor by “juking” out of the way (the wrong way), and the bigger boat was expecting them to follow the rules. This leads to confusion, frustration and often tangles/cuss words.

Imagine 80% of the people using a round-about the right way and 20% of people coming at you in the wrong direction.

That’s spring time Lake Superior combat fishing at its finest.

An easy way to remember is “right is right” (any boat to your right/green/starboard has the right of way.

If a boat is to your port/left/red you are “right”. They are seeing your red side. Which is a red light to them. You would see their green side which is a green light to you (to be the stand on vessel).

Thanks, I now know the technical name for that. I guess that was always just common sense to me. Good luck out there!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks, I now know the technical name for that. I guess that was always just common sense to me. Good luck out there!

Don’t feel bad, I didn’t know there was a name for it either. jester

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.