Drop axle ice house owners I need info.

• IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Ok I do not want to know brands but would like to know negatives that you have had to deal with your house and things you wish it had but maybe doesn’t.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Speaking “only” from my experiences while working at the resort. What I have noticed is issues with wheel houses not properly greased and fail badly! they get stuck either all the way up or will not go down.

I think its very important to be able to lubricate any and all moveable joints and pivot points.

Not so much the brand….but how you do your maintenance on them

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Thank you Bob this will defiantly worth looking into in the design.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Second hand as I don’t own one.

What is the cable used for dropping it down made of? Galvanized steel that’s a magnet for MN rust or stainless?

Snapped cable killed my first possible trip to Winnie last winter. We didn’t get out of the metro. Thankfully my friend had a skid house in Bob’s neighborhood and we got on a good evening bite with Plan B.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Like Bob said make sure any moving components allow you to put grease in and grease often. Some manufactures you can and others you can not. After owning one for a while I tried stainless cables and still had a cable failure. For me anyways it seems the cable would fail after being pinched over itself a few time then creates a weak spot. So I went to just buying the cheap galvanized cable and replace every spring when doing maintence after the season was over. Also keep an eye on leaf springs. Mine were multi leaf spring and the center pin broke on both sides and dropped out all the springs except for the primary one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.