Drama…

• bullcans
    Northfield MN

Do it James. Maybe then you will realize that not all of your supporters over the years exactly align with your political views. Should be a great business plan. This site used to be a refuge from the cesspools of typical social media but apparently it can no longer be that way. Good luck to you and your sponsors. I wish all outdoorsman could find a place free from this BS and realize that we have a lot more in common with each other than just our political leaning. We can’t even share some fishing spots or help someone out with some techniques or other advise. We can’t share questions on life or help around the house without devolving into a political debate over who is at fault. It’s sad this site has come to this.

OMG
    The guy has a right to say who he supports. Just like the rest of us do. What just because he’s the face of this website he can’t speak his mind and say who he is backing? Get real man…

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Everyone has an opinion on most topics or ideas. Some people seem to think their opinion is the only CORRECT one and will argue/bully anyone that doesn’t agree with them.
    It is also only certain topics that seem to cause this.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Do it James. Maybe then you will realize that not all of your supporters over the years exactly align with your political views. Should be a great business plan. This site used to be a refuge from the cesspools of typical social media but apparently it can no longer be that way. Good luck to you and your sponsors. I wish all outdoorsman could find a place free from this BS and realize that we have a lot more in common with each other than just our political leaning. We can’t even share some fishing spots or help someone out with some techniques or other advise. We can’t share questions on life or help around the house without devolving into a political debate over who is at fault. It’s sad this site has come to this.

OMG
    The guy has a right to say who he supports. Just like the rest of us do. What just because he’s the face of this website he can’t speak his mind and say who he is backing? Get real man…

I’m a Trump guy. I think he’s the best thing to happen to this country in decades. Deal with it. If that’s somehow a deal breaker for you I suggest you find a new fishing website.

However, if you want to vote for the other guy, do know you are as welcome as anyone if you want to share a fishing report, ask a question, or just find a way to integrate with this community of anglers.

Never forget, there’s more that unites than divides.

brentbullets

I am with James! It’s your site do what you seem fit. The ones that don’t like it will leave or maybe be forced to leave.

MAGA

Ice Cap

I belong to a number of forums of varied interests which I suspect most here do. Seems every forum handles the political talk differently. Some mods jump in instantly and put a stop to anything political. Hardly a subject left that doesn’t have politics tied to it one way or another. Others are a total free for all with moderators no where to be seen.

I felt this place was a good middle. With the exception of a few the talk would ebb and flow without getting too personal. The Corona subject right now is as political as it is a virus and it’s going to most likely get worse before it gets better in both respects. I tried for the most part to discuss it in terms of a virus rather than a political football. Others would do the same and a discussion could be going along fine for a number of posts and Phil or someone else would drop a bomb on it. One thing I know about forums is you aren’t going to call out the owner in a insulting way and expect to be around long.

I think we all hope everyone here stays healthy as well as their families. As James says we can all do more to make this place better.
    Off my soap box! toast

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

We can’t even share some fishing spots or help someone out with some techniques or other advise. We can’t share questions on life or help around the house without devolving into a political debate over who is at fault. It’s sad this site has come to this.

Well, actually you can. There’s any number of threads specific to Garmin, outboard problems, cooking fish, boats, ice out, spring crappies, Pool 2, fishing stuff for sale or WTB…etc.

You, the visitor/member can choose what you want to get out of this. Clearly there are hot button topics, you know where they will inevitably go.

Don’t want to see that? Don’t hit the clickbait. Plain and simple, you’re either in or out. Anyone can decide whether or not he who comes here.

Now for my little tangent. Some may remember the song “Werewolves of London”

Who really knows what Warren Zevon’s message was…perhaps he knew when the Luftwaffe bombed London, the common folk (as well as the King and Queen) became more unraveled. Their personalities transformed to something unexpected.

So now you’re seeing some werewolves out and about. whistling

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

This site operates better when the political banter is kept at bay. I’m guilty of stoking the flames myself on more then one occasion so I’m certainly not innocent. Trump fans definitely seem to be the majority here and they dont mind letting those who arent know how they feel about them. Some are nicer and more accepting then others. The few liberal leaning folks who do chime up are usually quickly silenced and in some cases insulted. I think Phil went over the line with the insults the last few days. Shame to see him gone I enjoyed his input as a regular contributor. I’m too young to remember but it seems that in days gone by people that had different political views showed more respect for each other than they do now. It’s a shame to see our country turn into this really. I think hiding behind the keyboard helps and if we all met and fished together or shared a beer things would be different. Anyway I appreciate James reminding people that people of all political views are welcome. This is a terrific forum and james and crew have built an awesome brand. Stay safe everyone

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Interesting read, that’s for sure. I will admit I hate Trump, well before he became prez. But not going to rip on someone who is. That’s what’s great about this country. I actually like the fact he isn’t a normal politician.

May I suggest a warning to some before the boot???
    Otherwise this is a great site.

shady5

Agree with them or not, I think it is admirable for business owners to state their political preferences publicly. Otherwise it feels like they’re playing both sides simply for profit, which seems disingenuous. Kudos to you, James.

vern
    Richfield, MN

Thank you James!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Do as you see fit to move your site forward James. You’re a successful guy. I’ve enjoyed my time here but have also seen the content erode towards political BS by a bunch of people hiding behind screens on an internet forum in recent years. I’ve been guilty of stirring the pot on both sides and apologize. My advice clearly doesn’t matter, but I’d suggest the forum either follows its own policies regarding politicis or remove the guideline all together. Without doing that the site is pushing the idea that “political posts are welcome here, so long as you faithfully agree with those in-charge and the majority.” If you want to start booting people because they are only moderately conservative or even identify as conservative without blindly endorsing every move the POTUS makes, I’ll be a goner.

Since James and everyone else doesn’t fear sharing their stances, I won’t either. I voted for Trump as the lesser of two evils that would (and did) help our economy. I also think he’s a horse$*** role model for our youth with regards to his personal life scandals and immaturity. I agree with his stance on firearms and the 2nd amendment. I like that he wasn’t (but now clearly is) a politician. I like that he speaks his mind. I dislike that he doesn’t take the advice of more informed and experienced cabinet members and acts on hunches. I do think he crossed some lines in Ukraine, but should not have been impeached. I think he will help recover some of the jobs lost following this recession. I do not trust him handling a pandemic that he tried to deny was becoming an issue. I do think he will be reelected quite easily. I do not think he will go down as one of the best, or one of the worst Presidents of all time… mainly just the most unique.

Clearly I’m rare around here in that I don’t either despise everything Trump has ever touched or hang my heart on everything that spews from his mouth. I’ve long been a believer that the two party extremist politics will be the demise of this country. Perhaps my minority opinion will get me booted here as it becomes a good ole-boys club to further my point. If I’m gone, thanks for the connections and banter IDO. If not, I’ll continue to share…but pledge to avoid this political BS.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Everyone – Let’s Tamp down the political talk

Also everyone – Hold my beer

Off topic section of Florida sportsman allowed political talk until Nov 7th 2016. Now guys try and skirt the rules by not using names and saying things without saying them.

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/categories/off-topic

It can be quite entertaining.

I also wonder if people would reverse their feelings here if James was liberal. Me, I don’t care, site owners can do what they want. It doesn’t affect me either. I can take whatever is thrown at me.

travelNFish
    Nebraska

Thanks James for the clarity and i agree whole heartedly. I don’t hold anyone’s party against them either way. That’s the beautiful thing, we have a choice. I try to support and do business with like minded individuals, and avoid the extremists, regardless of which side. I also refrain from supporting businesses that look down at my ideals,( as in the case of Dicks Sporting goods stance on guns). I’m also not afraid of supporting our president and donating to his campaign (Trump Jr 2024).

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

That, and more talk about fishing

toast
    Thank You!!!

Great bite happening right now on the sippi.
    Boated 29 Sunday.
    Yesterday afternoon i sat on a big fish spot and pulled 9. Biggest 10 lbs, average size mid 20’s.

Everything has been on White or Chart/Orange Core Pulsars. Moving VERY slow!

Finding good current in clean water seems to be the key.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

You all realize you can still go fishing right? Seems like some of you haven’t stepped away from the keyboard since this virus started. Let me suggest something…..

I went the Driftless Region for some trout fishing Sunday morning and it was the most relaxed I have been since this all has started. Two LONG weeks of working at the hospital and on the ambulance melted away with the views and sounds of that amazing place.

Seriously guys, get outside, go fishing. We’re going to get through this and fighting with everybody else is going to make it seem worse.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Holst wrote:</div>
    That, and more talk about fishing

toast
    Thank You!!!

Boated 29 Sunday.
    Yesterday afternoon i sat on a big fish spot and pulled 9. Biggest 10 lbs, average size mid 20’s.

Im amazed you never get bored doing this. Not being sarcastic either.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Im amazed you never get bored doing this. Not being sarcastic either.

Tonight hopefully I can put a father and son duo on some good fishing… hopefully see a 11yo drop his jaw with a big fish.

That never gets boring… does take some effort to make these things happen though.

Grew up on a farm. Being outside is a must for me. Was euphoric last night in the backwaters. Deer, owls, eagles, beavers, birds signing…teaming with life. No boats. It was great. Given a choice, My choice is almost always-outside.

Of course it’s high water so I don’t want to get caught taking about bird watching… easily get flamed on this outdoor website for that. So I usually lead with a fishing report… but it’s rarely the fishing that gets me outside or what I enjoy most.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Boated 29 Sunday.

And I THANK YOU. We need more of this and a lot less of the other stuff.

I appreciate any and all that took the message I was trying to put out to heart and responded by getting back to talking fishing.

I see Randy W. started a thread about how to fish blades for those that might be interested! How to Fish Bladebaitswaytogo

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

@jamesholst speaking of fishing, I rewatched last season’s north shore steelhead episode last night. As we come upon that time of year again, any chance at another episode of the sort?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@jamesholst speaking of fishing, I rewatched last season’s north shore steelhead episode last night. As we come upon that time of year again, any chance at another episode of the sort?

Well, it isn’t looking good right now. We’ve put a stay on filming new episodes until this corona thing straightens out. Traveling all over the Midwest, with most states shut down and asking people to shelter in place, didn’t seem like a very good message to be putting out. So, for the time being we’ll be airing episodes we shot last open water season. This Sunday’s show is a pretty epic vertical jigging for muskie show Pat filmed last fall. Six muskie in one day!

If MN goes into shut down Fox Sports will close and we won’t be able to submit any new episodes, regardless of when the footage was filmed. There simply won’t be anyone at FSN to process the footage.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This is James’ site…. much like the Magazine editors/owners who get to choose who gets on their covers (Michelle Obama, 12 covers while Barack was President, Melania Trump= 0, figure that one out) he can have an opinion. Anybody who cannot see the sheer vile treatment of not only the President, but his wife for crying out loud and even his teenage son too, you are part of the problem. Because of the treatment from the liberals and their followers blind eyes to it, I too will crawl through broken glass for the man. Shame on half this country.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You all realize you can still go fishing right? Seems like some of you haven’t stepped away from the keyboard since this virus started. Let me suggest something…..

I went the Driftless Region for some trout fishing Sunday morning and it was the most relaxed I have been since this all has started. Two LONG weeks of working at the hospital and on the ambulance melted away with the views and sounds of that amazing place.

Seriously guys, get outside, go fishing. We’re going to get through this and fighting with everybody else is going to make it seem worse.

I agree but the problem is when you are working from home, as is your spouse, and the kiddo’s are running around it makes it tough to get out. I had planned on today but it’s not fair to my wife for me to take off with the boat. Trying to figure out a compromise for the weekend where we can both get some downtime.

Now, she may just kick me out based upon how thin our patience is but that’s another story!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Now, she may just kick me out based upon how thin our patience is but that’s another story!

Same here! Our work at home together gig lasted just one day. I’m holding down the fort at the office for now. Will keep coming in till they lock me out.

-J.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

I agree but the problem is when you are working from home, as is your spouse, and the kiddo’s are running around it makes it tough to get out. I had planned on today but it’s not fair to my wife for me to take off with the boat. Trying to figure out a compromise for the weekend where we can both get some downtime.

That’s fair I suppose. Both my wife and I are in the medical field so we are business as usual. My wife usually kicks me out once a week because I get stir crazy and start annoying her. She gives me some time and I return the favor for her. Our daughter isn’t in daycare anyway so it’s pretty much the same schedule as any other time of the year for us. Glad about that though.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

My Drama? Because of Covid-19 I backed out last minute (almost literally) on a trip to LOTW this week. I was looking forward to lifetime trip chasing 40” snot rockets in the shallow. Sadly I let a friend down that was going with. I was pretty angry for a couple days but I’m getting over it. I feel I did the right thing and it pains me to say my FW was probably right. There is always next year.

I plan on making up for it this week and next by taking a few days to explore the waters in my back yard, so much to choose from – pools 2, 3 & 4, the trout stream that runs through my property, the Kinni, Rush, Trimbelle, and that’s all during the off season. I’m blessed to have these resources available and close to me. I’m also blessed to have the resources on this site to help guide me.
    If you see a blue 16’ Lund with a 50 hp tiller being captained by an OG in a red TRUMP hat, stop by, even if you swing for the other team. That’s secondary as far as I’m concerned.

Viewing 27 posts - 61 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.