Nearly the end of March and no one has asked how to fish…..

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

with BLADES. Did everyone figure it out or just give up? doah jester jester As repetitive as the questions come up each year, I was quite surprised not to see it yet.
    When I woke up around 2 this morning, I had a lot of anxiety that I was low on pink/white in 5/16oz. Time to pour a few before I go to work

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’m biting my tongue….. doah

SR

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Blade Master Randy, explain this to me. My buddy and I are fishing blades on Pool 4. He has an orange blade, I have pink. Otherwise they are same weight, etc. He catches 9 walleye and sauger, me zero. We were moving slowly through the water and he did have 1st crack at the fish because he was in the front of the boat. Have you experienced color making that much of a difference? Of course there is always the possibility that I am a terrible fisherman.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Randy please explain in more detail for other dio guests the right way to fish blades I see most try the snag method.lol thanks there is a technique as most don’t know. Hook in tail or belly means snagged and release lmao sorry Randy just a little humor

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Blade Master Randy, explain this to me. My buddy and I are fishing blades on Pool 4. He has an orange blade, I have pink. Otherwise they are same weight, etc. He catches 9 walleye and sauger, me zero. We were moving slowly through the water and he did have 1st crack at the fish because he was in the front of the boat. Have you experienced color making that much of a difference? Of course there is always the possibility that I am a terrible fisherman.

Color matters. Had days that purple
    Lit them up and couldn’t touch a fish with another color. Hour later, purple went dead and different color turned on

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Snagging = a call to the DNR tip line

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Haven’t considered using them yet…

Randy please explain in more detail for other dio guests the right way to fish blades I see most try the snag method.lol thanks there is a technique as most don’t know. Hook in tail or belly means snagged and release lmao sorry Randy just a little humor

First… stop drifting. Just stop!

Lol

Pitch like a ringworm.

Here’s a 10# from last night

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200323_210552_320.jpg

Cody Meyers

I love fishing blades, but so far this spring I’ve not had much success with them. I was tearing their tail off in the fall with them, but the water was in the 40s. Water temp isn’t quite there yet so I’m wondering if warmer water will make a difference.

Seems most folks with extensive experience like blades in cold water, I just don’t have a solid feel for what “cold water” is or if there is a rule of thumb as far as when to reach for a blade.

I’ve been trying to stay dedicated to reaching for them every trip at least for a while as part of the process.

carver
    West Metro

I was just thinking about this.

Are blades only for cold water river fishing? Are they effective in warm(er) water on lakes or are they mainly for current.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I was just thinking about this.

Are blades only for cold water river fishing? Are they effective in warm(er) water on lakes or are they mainly for current.

Very general response for you…

One can argue everything can work at anytime. But i’ll add that most things have an optimum time and place. You’ll never see me run a bobber in summer heat, rather i’ll be trolling at peak speeds. Bobber fisherman catch fish too…

Blade baits are a popular bass lure in the summer.

I predominately use blades during the shad die off in the fall. 50 falling to 40 water temp.
    Tend to run plastics below 40.

There’s no right or wrong. But certain areas at certain times cannot be beat if using the right lure.

Don’t be afraid to stock up on blades and give it a whirl anytime/anyplace. They’re the dying shad lure for me and that’s about it. But, a day in Randy’s boat i’m sure i’d share a different perspective. toast

basseyes

Will I have better luck fishing them if I wear my triple walled tinfoil hat and an emergency roll of toilet paper on the butt end of my rod?

milemark_714

No rhyme or reason with blades.Randy and I lit them up in the middle of August.But it is sure funny watching those that yank them 3′ and never follow it down.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Thanks for bringing this up as I need to do some restocking on certain sizes and color.

Randy do you make any of the smaller weight wise 1/8 3/16 ounce ones? I find on the river I like this size as mostly I am pitching them versus vertical jigging.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Tom quarter is about as small as I go

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for bringing this up as I need to do some restocking on certain sizes and color.

Randy do you make any of the smaller weight wise 1/8 3/16 ounce ones? I find on the river I like this size as mostly I am pitching them versus vertical jigging.

If someone has a reasonably priced source for those lighter blades I’m all ears. Those lighter weight blades with a full sized body are hard to find.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

If someone has a reasonably priced source for those lighter blades I’m all ears. Those lighter weight blades with a full sized body are hard to find.

@trumar
    makes blade baits down to 3/16 oz, not sure if that’s light enough but is a full size body. And whether the $3.50 is reasonably priced?
    *Edit-I see he has 15% off orders of $35 or more through the end of March.

But he’s a member here and I have already bought a nice assortment of blade baits and jigs from him. He makes quality tackle.

http://trutiedtacklellc.com/

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@trumar makes blade baits down to 3/16 oz, not sure if that’s light enough but is a full size body. And whether the $3.50 is reasonably priced.

But he’s a member here and I have already bought a nice assortment of blade baits and jigs from him.

http://trutiedtacklellc.com/

$3.50 is fine in my book. Thank you. I’ll check them out.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

@trumar
    makes blade baits down to 3/16 oz, not sure if that’s light enough but is a full size body. And whether the $3.50 is reasonably priced.

But he’s a member here and I have already bought a nice assortment of blade baits and jigs from him.

http://trutiedtacklellc.com/%5B/quote%5D

$3.50 is fine in my book. Thank you. I’ll check them out.

See Classified Ads.. Tackle For Sale

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I posted a thread about a year ago and Randy went above and beyond explaining how to fish with these flat metal pieces of…

I’m not good at finding old posts but I actually printed it out.

If someone could locate that’d be great!

martyb

The guys fishing Head2Head in Depere were using lots of blades….

milemark_714

The guys fishing Head2Head in Depere were using lots of blades….

Using or losing?That place can eat lures!
    That is the place I first fished blade lures way back.Cotton Cordell gay blade baits were excellent.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

If a guy wanted to order 10-15 of these could someone recommend some size and color recommendations? I would be using them on The Miss and Croix.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I posted a thread about a year ago and Randy went above and beyond explaining how to fish with these flat metal pieces of…

I’m not good at finding old posts but I actually printed it out.

If someone could locate that’d be great!

Take this link and in about the 3rd or 4th post there are links to previous conversations including some great advise from Dean. I do a lot of vertical jigging, deeper river channel and basin structure. Dean is the P4 pitching wizzard

Any special way to fish blades

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If a guy wanted to order 10-15 of these could someone recommend some size and color recommendations? I would be using them on The Miss and Croix.

If I were hitting the water today with only 5 blades, here is what I would want from Jeff. Only one I question is the white. For me, pure bright white is the worst. I powder paint most of mine and my white is more of an off/antique white. I learned many years ago not all whites are created equal!

https://trutiedtacklellc.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpink-tiger-blade-bait

Pink Tiger Blade Bait
    Orange Tiger Blade Bait
    Purple Ghost Blade Bait
    White Blade Bait
    Gold Blade Bait

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

@Randy,My white is as white as white can get and thank you for the shout out !

All the colors I sell are what has worked on the Mississippi river from P2 down to Pool 16 most constantly .

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

@Randy,My white is as white as white can get and thank you for the shout out !

All the colors I sell are what has worked on the Mississippi river from P2 down to Pool 16 most constantly .

We need to talk about that white one of these days. Think back to a late 60s impala whistling

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.