Pheasent Hunting, What Gauge And Dogs?

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

AH Pheasent hunting. I use to do that when I was a kid with my Dad and Uncle and Cousin. What gauge gun to you prefer to use for pheasents? My guess would be probably a 12 gauge but I hear that more and more hunters are changing to a 20 gauge to add more ”sport” to the hunt. Do you prefer to use a hunting dog to stir up the birds or do you prefer to stir them up yourselves? If you use a dog, which breed of dog has worked best for you? Thanks, Bill

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I use a 12 guage remington 870 and have had zero problems with it. As far as a dog, the weimareiner (spelling?) is well suited for upland game. My uncle has one that I occasionally use for pheasant and he does the job well.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I use a 12 guage remington 870 and have had zero problems with it. As far as a dog, the weimareiner (spelling?) is well suited for upland game. My uncle has one that I occasionally use for pheasant and he does the job well.

Gator Hunter

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Bill there are many guns you could go with.Don’t forget the 16 gauge as Remington started to make the 870 16 gauges again a few years back.I own a 12 gauge 870 and it’s one of the best guns for your money you could buy.I also hunt with a Benelli Nova which I really like.I like the knock down power of the 12 gauge but a 20 gauge is a great gun for the younger hunters.

As for dogs,everyone has their breeds they love as friends and hunters.Pointers?Flushers?Retrievers?Labs are great all around dogs as are Golden Retrievers.Do you hunt more waterfowl than upland game or vise versa?My choice of breed was the English Setter.They have alot of drive and style but also can be very hyper.I’ve hunted over alot of different breeds and they all have been fun to watch.We only have 5 weeks until the opener in Iowa!!!

Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Bill there are many guns you could go with.Don’t forget the 16 gauge as Remington started to make the 870 16 gauges again a few years back.I own a 12 gauge 870 and it’s one of the best guns for your money you could buy.I also hunt with a Benelli Nova which I really like.I like the knock down power of the 12 gauge but a 20 gauge is a great gun for the younger hunters.

As for dogs,everyone has their breeds they love as friends and hunters.Pointers?Flushers?Retrievers?Labs are great all around dogs as are Golden Retrievers.Do you hunt more waterfowl than upland game or vise versa?My choice of breed was the English Setter.They have alot of drive and style but also can be very hyper.I’ve hunted over alot of different breeds and they all have been fun to watch.We only have 5 weeks until the opener in Iowa!!!

Ryan Hale

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Ryan, Good guns and good dogs are what turn pheasant hunting from a pastime to a life style.Early season and game farms I shoot a 16 G. model 12 Win. restored by John Kay. I love that gun. Later on when the weather gets wet and the birds get tougher I switch to a Browning White lightning 12 G. My personal choice in dogs is for yellow labs[hence my user name]I have a 9 yr old veteran and a 8 month old pup.I really enjoy hunting over a good pointer of any breed but feel they are to high strung for my style. When I was in Iowa a couple of weeks ago I noticed a lot of public land. Is most of it waterfowl areas or are there some upland spots as well?

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Ryan, Good guns and good dogs are what turn pheasant hunting from a pastime to a life style.Early season and game farms I shoot a 16 G. model 12 Win. restored by John Kay. I love that gun. Later on when the weather gets wet and the birds get tougher I switch to a Browning White lightning 12 G. My personal choice in dogs is for yellow labs[hence my user name]I have a 9 yr old veteran and a 8 month old pup.I really enjoy hunting over a good pointer of any breed but feel they are to high strung for my style. When I was in Iowa a couple of weeks ago I noticed a lot of public land. Is most of it waterfowl areas or are there some upland spots as well?

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Dog there is a alot of public land for pheasant hunting in NW IA.After the first few weeks there won’t be as many hunters.Do you come down and hunt Iowa pheasant every year?
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Dog there is a alot of public land for pheasant hunting in NW IA.After the first few weeks there won’t be as many hunters.Do you come down and hunt Iowa pheasant every year?
    Ryan Hale

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Normaly I hunt cottonwood county in Mn. My family is originally from Spirit Lake and I have fond memories of hunting there 35years ago. I would like to go back but have no ins to private land. I know there was a spot right on the border off of hwy 86 ut haven,t been there in years.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Normaly I hunt cottonwood county in Mn. My family is originally from Spirit Lake and I have fond memories of hunting there 35years ago. I would like to go back but have no ins to private land. I know there was a spot right on the border off of hwy 86 ut haven,t been there in years.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I was an avid Mossberg 835 gun owner but since have switched to a Browning Gold Auto 12 ga. I only take the Mossberg along as a spare now… and use them for turkey hunting…. as far as shot goes… on private ground to me there is nothing better than shooting with Remington Nitro Mags… 2 3/4 6 shot lead… I call is reach out and touch someone…. Dogs on birds… I love to watch a beautiful point… I personally have 2 German Shorthair Pointers and get more joy out of watching the dogs more than anything…
    bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I was an avid Mossberg 835 gun owner but since have switched to a Browning Gold Auto 12 ga. I only take the Mossberg along as a spare now… and use them for turkey hunting…. as far as shot goes… on private ground to me there is nothing better than shooting with Remington Nitro Mags… 2 3/4 6 shot lead… I call is reach out and touch someone…. Dogs on birds… I love to watch a beautiful point… I personally have 2 German Shorthair Pointers and get more joy out of watching the dogs more than anything…
    bird

SEAN

Brittany’s and cockers the my dog choices and a remington 11-87 in 12 guage or my Sig arms 28guage are my upland guns of choice…For waterfowl and turkeys I use a winchester 1300 or a mosberg model 500 in 12 guage.

SEAN

Brittany’s and cockers the my dog choices and a remington 11-87 in 12 guage or my Sig arms 28guage are my upland guns of choice…For waterfowl and turkeys I use a winchester 1300 or a mosberg model 500 in 12 guage.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use whatever suits me that day. Sometime my 12 ga 870 but more often my lighter 20 ga 1100. I have a pup this season and will begin game farm training this weekend. Hopefully she’s got what it takes. She is a golden.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use whatever suits me that day. Sometime my 12 ga 870 but more often my lighter 20 ga 1100. I have a pup this season and will begin game farm training this weekend. Hopefully she’s got what it takes. She is a golden.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I use a Reminton 11-87 for my hunting and I just love to see the tail of my little Chocolate lab race when she’s close! I’m thinking it’ll be the last trip to No. Dakota next month for her though,getting a little slow as she’s nearing 10 years old.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I use a Reminton 11-87 for my hunting and I just love to see the tail of my little Chocolate lab race when she’s close! I’m thinking it’ll be the last trip to No. Dakota next month for her though,getting a little slow as she’s nearing 10 years old.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

What happened to making it sporting. I most typically use a 4.10 and hunt behind my Brittney, Mitch. He is about 70lbs so he is one big Britt. All I know is that his nose Knows!
    jc

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

What happened to making it sporting. I most typically use a 4.10 and hunt behind my Brittney, Mitch. He is about 70lbs so he is one big Britt. All I know is that his nose Knows!
    jc

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

i used to use a steven single shot 12. then i was given an 870 wingmaster 12ga. then i went to a mossberg 20 ga. I like the 20 gauge better, it is a lighter gun, and you can fit more shells in your pockets. I usually go through a box a weekend, just a little bit cheaper for reloading.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

i used to use a steven single shot 12. then i was given an 870 wingmaster 12ga. then i went to a mossberg 20 ga. I like the 20 gauge better, it is a lighter gun, and you can fit more shells in your pockets. I usually go through a box a weekend, just a little bit cheaper for reloading.

shane

SEAN

a box of shells in a weekend???? GEEESHH….

Maybe a few rounds of clay target practice during the offseason would save you in the long run…

Jeremy, the .410 is a great gun for hunting preserve birds over a pointing dog but you would have to pass up a lot of shots if using it to hunt wild birds. As long as you stay within the gun/and your limits there is no reason it won’t work just fine. You have to have a dog that likes to run down cripples though.

There is a big discussion in the PA hunting websites regarding use of the .410 for bigger birds like pheasants and even turkey.

SEAN

Maybe a few rounds of clay target practice during the offseason would save you in the long run…

Jeremy, the .410 is a great gun for hunting preserve birds over a pointing dog but you would have to pass up a lot of shots if using it to hunt wild birds. As long as you stay within the gun/and your limits there is no reason it won’t work just fine. You have to have a dog that likes to run down cripples though.

There is a big discussion in the PA hunting websites regarding use of the .410 for bigger birds like pheasants and even turkey.

crbasser
    IA

JC, I thought you traded that thing for a 12 guage when you broke it over Mitch’s head that one trip . Just kidding, we don’t correct our dogs around here . Anyway, I’ll stick with my 1187 12 guage, and correcting, I mean training my German Shorthair.

crbasser
    IA

JC, I thought you traded that thing for a 12 guage when you broke it over Mitch’s head that one trip . Just kidding, we don’t correct our dogs around here . Anyway, I’ll stick with my 1187 12 guage, and correcting, I mean training my German Shorthair.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

I spend alot of time out and getting birds to jump up, but am usually in the thick swampy stuff looking for the grouse on a rainy, cold miserable day. i get alot of birds to jump up, and then chase them down again and get them to jump again. but i take poke shots at them when i am off balance. clay target, 21 out of 25 last weekend.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

I spend alot of time out and getting birds to jump up, but am usually in the thick swampy stuff looking for the grouse on a rainy, cold miserable day. i get alot of birds to jump up, and then chase them down again and get them to jump again. but i take poke shots at them when i am off balance. clay target, 21 out of 25 last weekend.

shane

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

What ? No one shoots a Browning ,I picked up a BPS last year with a 22″ barrel and english stock (low comb)and like it pretty well. Before that I shot an 870 express which weighted a ton. Like the BPS better( Browning pump shotgun)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.