Pheasent Hunting, What Gauge And Dogs?

• SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

What ? No one shoots a Browning ,I picked up a BPS last year with a 22″ barrel and english stock (low comb)and like it pretty well. Before that I shot an 870 express which weighted a ton. Like the BPS better( Browning pump shotgun)

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey dave,

gotta have the $$$$$ for a browning, but when someone hands you an 870 remington for free. which one would you take??, and besides i like mossberg better than brownings.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey dave,

gotta have the $$$$$ for a browning, but when someone hands you an 870 remington for free. which one would you take??, and besides i like mossberg better than brownings.

shane

Jira

I run an 12 gauge 870 with 2 3/4 #4 shot. I like the 870 because it never jams. NEVER. Throw it in the mud, use it as a canoe paddle.. it won’t jam. I use the #4 shot because it carries a little farther and most roosters are a little faster than me.

As for my dawg, I run a 1 year old Golden Retriver named Kodiak. http://www.whatsbig.com/kodiak He’s not quite got it down yet…. for some reason he think’s it’s his birg not mine. For that reason, September 8th he’s going to spend some time at Tom Dokken’s Oak Ridge Kennels in Northfield. Some people complain about “Swamp Collies” because they pick up more burrs than a lab. I throw a kevlar vest on him anyways (which helps a bit) and I’ll trade the burrs for golden temperment anyday.

My 2 cents,

J

Jira

I run an 12 gauge 870 with 2 3/4 #4 shot. I like the 870 because it never jams. NEVER. Throw it in the mud, use it as a canoe paddle.. it won’t jam. I use the #4 shot because it carries a little farther and most roosters are a little faster than me.

As for my dawg, I run a 1 year old Golden Retriver named Kodiak. http://www.whatsbig.com/kodiak He’s not quite got it down yet…. for some reason he think’s it’s his birg not mine. For that reason, September 8th he’s going to spend some time at Tom Dokken’s Oak Ridge Kennels in Northfield. Some people complain about “Swamp Collies” because they pick up more burrs than a lab. I throw a kevlar vest on him anyways (which helps a bit) and I’ll trade the burrs for golden temperment anyday.

My 2 cents,

J

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Kevlar? What kind of neighborhood do you hunt in?

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Kevlar? What kind of neighborhood do you hunt in?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I use an old belgium browning auto full choke made in 1928. Its an old gun but still in pretty good shape. I have a ten year old brittney that I bough as a pup and has a better pedagree than mine lol. ukc, akc and afsd- american field stud regestered that i bought in the rural area in southern iowa a few miles from missouri. I load my own shells after loosing to many pheasants to going away shots. Got ahold of a guy i knew at the fin and feather sporting goods store and we put together a recepie for some very hot and potent loads, they don’t get away anymore even at 45 to 50 yrds. 2 3/4″ loads, 2 3/4″ casing, 1 1/2 oz of 4 shot, 37 1/3 grains of hs7, double a red wad sized and crimped at 60 pounds. They pack a wholop at 50 yrds. 12 cents a round two years ago. Thats less than 4 bucks a box compared to 12 bucks a box on the shelf and have the same dram equivalant as a 31/2 nitro mag. I really want to go to south dakota this fall to hunt pheasants, lucky day.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I use an old belgium browning auto full choke made in 1928. Its an old gun but still in pretty good shape. I have a ten year old brittney that I bough as a pup and has a better pedagree than mine lol. ukc, akc and afsd- american field stud regestered that i bought in the rural area in southern iowa a few miles from missouri. I load my own shells after loosing to many pheasants to going away shots. Got ahold of a guy i knew at the fin and feather sporting goods store and we put together a recepie for some very hot and potent loads, they don’t get away anymore even at 45 to 50 yrds. 2 3/4″ loads, 2 3/4″ casing, 1 1/2 oz of 4 shot, 37 1/3 grains of hs7, double a red wad sized and crimped at 60 pounds. They pack a wholop at 50 yrds. 12 cents a round two years ago. Thats less than 4 bucks a box compared to 12 bucks a box on the shelf and have the same dram equivalant as a 31/2 nitro mag. I really want to go to south dakota this fall to hunt pheasants, lucky day.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.