hunting dog traing tip

• packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Well with hunting season fast aproching and with My new son only being 3 months old, I have found it hard to get training time in w/ my german short hair. I found the only time I have is when it’s dark. So out for alittle traing we go. Well it really seems to be working good, “Hoss” the dog is starting to use it’s scence of smell and listening for the dummy to drop. Hopefully it gives someone some ideas that just because it is dark out doesn’t mean you can’t still get some time in with the dog, also it is cooler for the dog.

nwbuck
    Hartley, IA

I’ve trained several shorthairs, and that’s an excellent idea for the young pups. Only downfall I could see is that we’ve had good rain lately and I could see myself being mosquito bait

nwbuck
    Hartley, IA

I’ve trained several shorthairs, and that’s an excellent idea for the young pups. Only downfall I could see is that we’ve had good rain lately and I could see myself being mosquito bait

jesse
    mn

I have a police K-9. We use totally dark buildings, and search areas, forces and teaches the K-9 to search by scent not only sight. You will see lots of good hunting dogs, and if you watch carefully alot will search by sight and not rely enough on the nose to help them find the quarry!! This is were training pays off, mix it up change environments and techniques you will only have a better trained dog for it, hunting or for other purposes. Good luck on the training and upcoming hunting season !!!

jesse
    mn

I have a police K-9. We use totally dark buildings, and search areas, forces and teaches the K-9 to search by scent not only sight. You will see lots of good hunting dogs, and if you watch carefully alot will search by sight and not rely enough on the nose to help them find the quarry!! This is were training pays off, mix it up change environments and techniques you will only have a better trained dog for it, hunting or for other purposes. Good luck on the training and upcoming hunting season !!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.