use of training collar

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I have purchased a new training collar for my 8 month old Golden Retriver. I bought the Innotek model ADV-1000

What I would like is some direction on it’s initial use…I have been having trouble with the young dog running away from me and not wanting to come to me. She likes to play stay away from!!!!!! If I let her off leash she likes to take advantage of it.

Any info needed…….

Thank you,

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Bobber,
    First make sure that the pup knows the commands before using the collar. I really like to intro the pup on leash. get a long lead and play fetch then using the come command and pull lightly on the lead. As the pup gets use to coming with the leash. Keep the leash on and add the collar now instead of pulling the lead you can use the collar. Always start at the lowest setting and slowly work up, every dog is different. You are trying to teach them that even that they do not see the leash you are still in control.
    Ron
    If there is anything you need help with send a PM.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Bobber,
    First make sure that the pup knows the commands before using the collar. I really like to intro the pup on leash. get a long lead and play fetch then using the come command and pull lightly on the lead. As the pup gets use to coming with the leash. Keep the leash on and add the collar now instead of pulling the lead you can use the collar. Always start at the lowest setting and slowly work up, every dog is different. You are trying to teach them that even that they do not see the leash you are still in control.
    Ron
    If there is anything you need help with send a PM.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I can’t agree more with Sliderfishn. The training collar should not be used until the dog is well trained and only needs reinforcing of commands they already know. Any use before that is going to scare the dog. I don’t recommend use of the collar until the dog is 6-9 months old and has his basic obedience mastered. I still take my dog back to the check cord (he is 4 years old) before any training sessions to get him to obey commands and then turn him out to farther distances and use the training collar.
    BG

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I can’t agree more with Sliderfishn. The training collar should not be used until the dog is well trained and only needs reinforcing of commands they already know. Any use before that is going to scare the dog. I don’t recommend use of the collar until the dog is 6-9 months old and has his basic obedience mastered. I still take my dog back to the check cord (he is 4 years old) before any training sessions to get him to obey commands and then turn him out to farther distances and use the training collar.
    BG

Bob Bowman
    MN

I have trained a number of labs with tri-tronics collars. The fastest and most effective way that I have found to correct the “STAY AWAY” game that all of these dogs like to play, is to put them on a long check cord and work on sit and stay. After the dog has mastered sit and stay, I move on to doing sit and stay (still on the check cord) using the collar also. Tell the dog to sit and stay, walk about 15 feet away and give them the come command and at that same time you nic them with the collar to reinforce that when you tell the dog to come, they do it. When doing this you don’t shock the dog the entire time, just at first when you give the command, or if the dog decideds on the way to make a detour. You don’t want to have the collar on HIGH POWER, just strong enough to get the dogs attention, start low and work your way up, if your dog is strong minded, it may take a little more zip.. I know this is FORCE training, but trust me it works, and it works fast….I have the most bullheaded lab and even he follows commands…..now. PM me if you have more ?????

Bob Bowman
    MN

I have trained a number of labs with tri-tronics collars. The fastest and most effective way that I have found to correct the “STAY AWAY” game that all of these dogs like to play, is to put them on a long check cord and work on sit and stay. After the dog has mastered sit and stay, I move on to doing sit and stay (still on the check cord) using the collar also. Tell the dog to sit and stay, walk about 15 feet away and give them the come command and at that same time you nic them with the collar to reinforce that when you tell the dog to come, they do it. When doing this you don’t shock the dog the entire time, just at first when you give the command, or if the dog decideds on the way to make a detour. You don’t want to have the collar on HIGH POWER, just strong enough to get the dogs attention, start low and work your way up, if your dog is strong minded, it may take a little more zip.. I know this is FORCE training, but trust me it works, and it works fast….I have the most bullheaded lab and even he follows commands…..now. PM me if you have more ?????

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Very good advise guys, Bobber also check out the books by Richard Wolters, very good info in any of his books. You can find his books at Cabela’s

Welcome to IDA Farmboy1!!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Very good advise guys, Bobber also check out the books by Richard Wolters, very good info in any of his books. You can find his books at Cabela’s

Welcome to IDA Farmboy1!!!

clarkk
    Eagan, MN

Have you obedience trained your dog yet? If not you should do so before doing anything with the eCollar. Drill that obedience training into your dog until it knows it inside out and backwards.

Make sure your dog understands the command you are giving it. I would exhaust all other options before using the eCollar on basic obedience related issues like this.

A few golden rules for eCollars:
    – Never shock a dog you can’t see.
    – Never shock a dog when it’s around birds.
    – Use the minimum amount of stimulation needed to achieve the desired response.

George Hickox has a good eCollar training video that I like. The video I have is for pointers but some of the info could be transfered to flusher training. He may have an eCollar video for flushers video too.

Good luck,
    Clark

clarkk
    Eagan, MN

Have you obedience trained your dog yet? If not you should do so before doing anything with the eCollar. Drill that obedience training into your dog until it knows it inside out and backwards.

Make sure your dog understands the command you are giving it. I would exhaust all other options before using the eCollar on basic obedience related issues like this.

A few golden rules for eCollars:
    – Never shock a dog you can’t see.
    – Never shock a dog when it’s around birds.
    – Use the minimum amount of stimulation needed to achieve the desired response.

George Hickox has a good eCollar training video that I like. The video I have is for pointers but some of the info could be transfered to flusher training. He may have an eCollar video for flushers video too.

Good luck,
    Clark

Bob Carlson

Thanks for all the great advise!

I have been working with Mesa the past two weeks and she is doing great! She now is walking off leash on walks and comes when called. I normally just have to use the tone on the collar to get her response if she gets to wondering a bit. Than its only maybe 2 times on a walk…….I really like having the tone as a tool to use…….it’s all I need at this point of training. As far as the stimulation settings, I’ve only had it set on 4..which on my wrist is just a tickle.

Thanks again,

Bob Carlson

Thanks for all the great advise!

I have been working with Mesa the past two weeks and she is doing great! She now is walking off leash on walks and comes when called. I normally just have to use the tone on the collar to get her response if she gets to wondering a bit. Than its only maybe 2 times on a walk…….I really like having the tone as a tool to use…….it’s all I need at this point of training. As far as the stimulation settings, I’ve only had it set on 4..which on my wrist is just a tickle.

Thanks again,

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

That is GREAT. Glad you are having good luck with the pup and collar. If you have any other questions give my a PM and I will see if I can help.
    Ron

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

That is GREAT. Glad you are having good luck with the pup and collar. If you have any other questions give my a PM and I will see if I can help.
    Ron

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.