Watering dogs in the field

• nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

I was wondering what all of you guys out there use to water your dogs? I have tried carrying a bottle of water, but that is awkward to carry in a vest and half the tme I end up losing it or leaving it in the truck. So I was wondering if there are any alternative methods that you guys have?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I like a product make by camelbak. It’s a water bladder that you wear like a back pack. I use it and also share it with the dogs. I go mine from Cabelas.

kooty
    Keymaster

I like a product make by camelbak. It’s a water bladder that you wear like a back pack. I use it and also share it with the dogs. I go mine from Cabelas.

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

Are those camelback water bladders very expensive?? I’m a poor college student.

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

Are those camelback water bladders very expensive?? I’m a poor college student.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I got mine for $30

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I got mine for $30

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Have you tried any of the new powdered waters?

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Have you tried any of the new powdered waters?

kooty
    Keymaster

I think mine was in the $45.00 price range.

kooty
    Keymaster

I think mine was in the $45.00 price range.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

I used to carry a wine flask, it was cheap and dual purpose. This was before they had the new water bladders.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

I used to carry a wine flask, it was cheap and dual purpose. This was before they had the new water bladders.

aprock
    Kingsley, Iowa

They are making vests now that have special pockets for those sports bottle type things.

Here is what I do. First I have one of those big laundry detergent things, you know a 96 load jug with the spigot thing on it. That gets rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed, and then just for good measure, rinsed a few more times to get all the soap out. Holds over 2 gallons of water – that goes in the Jeep.

I have a web belt and load bearing harness and canteens (GI type). I carry at least one canteen for the dog – it’s got the gas mask fitting. Cut the tube off an old mask and carry that in my pocket. When we stop, plug the tube in and water the dog. Tube comes in handy for flushing out his eyes too.

If need be I put another canteen for me on the other side. Put all this on under my vest. Works fine and was REAL cheap.

aprock
    Kingsley, Iowa

They are making vests now that have special pockets for those sports bottle type things.

Here is what I do. First I have one of those big laundry detergent things, you know a 96 load jug with the spigot thing on it. That gets rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed, and then just for good measure, rinsed a few more times to get all the soap out. Holds over 2 gallons of water – that goes in the Jeep.

I have a web belt and load bearing harness and canteens (GI type). I carry at least one canteen for the dog – it’s got the gas mask fitting. Cut the tube off an old mask and carry that in my pocket. When we stop, plug the tube in and water the dog. Tube comes in handy for flushing out his eyes too.

If need be I put another canteen for me on the other side. Put all this on under my vest. Works fine and was REAL cheap.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Here’s a cheap one too. Go to the grocery store or gas station and buy the 20oz. bottle of Gatorade with the twist nozzle. Drink your favorite flavor and then put water in it for the dog. You can squeeze the water out of the bottle at a slow trickle or a pretty good blast. You can even drink the water yourself if you don’t mind the dog’s mouth the bottle’s nozzle or just screw the top off and drink the water from the bottle. You can buy more than one bottle to carry in the game bag of your vest or refill one with a gallon milk jug.

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Here’s a cheap one too. Go to the grocery store or gas station and buy the 20oz. bottle of Gatorade with the twist nozzle. Drink your favorite flavor and then put water in it for the dog. You can squeeze the water out of the bottle at a slow trickle or a pretty good blast. You can even drink the water yourself if you don’t mind the dog’s mouth the bottle’s nozzle or just screw the top off and drink the water from the bottle. You can buy more than one bottle to carry in the game bag of your vest or refill one with a gallon milk jug.

Mark

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I do what Mark B does. I drink a 20 oz propel or 2 on the way and fill with water from a gallon milk jug or two that I have rinsed and filled with water. My upland vest has 2 spots for these bottles. I have the Ultimate Upland Guide Dog Vest from Cabelas. I think it is $69.99. A great vest. It also has a spot for my tri-tronics transmitter.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I do what Mark B does. I drink a 20 oz propel or 2 on the way and fill with water from a gallon milk jug or two that I have rinsed and filled with water. My upland vest has 2 spots for these bottles. I have the Ultimate Upland Guide Dog Vest from Cabelas. I think it is $69.99. A great vest. It also has a spot for my tri-tronics transmitter.

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Theres also a lot of nice fanny packs you can find that have enough room, yet they also wont get in the way during the walk. Just throw the bottle in there and anything else you might need to take with. The only problem is that your buddies could give you crap for wearing it

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Theres also a lot of nice fanny packs you can find that have enough room, yet they also wont get in the way during the walk. Just throw the bottle in there and anything else you might need to take with. The only problem is that your buddies could give you crap for wearing it

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.