Wanted: GSP stud dog

• nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

I am seeking any information that anyone has about some german shorthaired pointer males, that they would be interested in breeding my female GSP. She is 3 years old and any information would be helpful. It would be nice if the dog wasn’t too far away. I live fairly close to Waterloo, IA. Thanks a bunch.

bow1
    Maynard, Iowa

I have a very good, 14 month old GSP. Very good with kids, excellent nose and drive, loves the water. Have all his papers and back ground. My number is 563-637-2828. I live in Maynard, Ia.

Jake Munger

bow1
    Maynard, Iowa

I have a very good, 14 month old GSP. Very good with kids, excellent nose and drive, loves the water. Have all his papers and back ground. My number is 563-637-2828. I live in Maynard, Ia.

Jake Munger

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Nick please keep us posted on your progress, I might be intrested in a pup.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Nick please keep us posted on your progress, I might be intrested in a pup.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Nick,there is a member on IDa who goes by Birdhunter88.His name is Al Clark and is a heck of a good person.He has some great shorthairs,his males name is Griff I want to say.I don’t know if he would be interested on the stud service with his male but send him a PM and see what he says.Maybe he will read this and get you some help.He does live down your way also,Cedar Rapids I want to say.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Nick,there is a member on IDa who goes by Birdhunter88.His name is Al Clark and is a heck of a good person.He has some great shorthairs,his males name is Griff I want to say.I don’t know if he would be interested on the stud service with his male but send him a PM and see what he says.Maybe he will read this and get you some help.He does live down your way also,Cedar Rapids I want to say.
    Ryan Hale

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Nick,

Just email me ………. Thanks for the compliments there Ryan. I appreciate it very much. I can no longer use Grif as a stud as I had to have the jewels removed from him due to a prostate problem ………. But Jeter is very willing and ready to go. Jeter has an excellant nose, automatically backs and honors points (I had nothing to do with this, he just does it) and is the best retrieving shorthair I have ever seen. This dog will drive you nuts about retrieving. He constantly wants to fetch something.

bird

Jeter is on the left and Grif is on the right……picture is from last year late season pheasant hunt. And yes there was a rooster in there.

Just click on Jeter and Grif for a picture of both dogs.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Nick,

Just email me ………. Thanks for the compliments there Ryan. I appreciate it very much. I can no longer use Grif as a stud as I had to have the jewels removed from him due to a prostate problem ………. But Jeter is very willing and ready to go. Jeter has an excellant nose, automatically backs and honors points (I had nothing to do with this, he just does it) and is the best retrieving shorthair I have ever seen. This dog will drive you nuts about retrieving. He constantly wants to fetch something.

bird

Jeter is on the left and Grif is on the right……picture is from last year late season pheasant hunt. And yes there was a rooster in there.

Just click on Jeter and Grif for a picture of both dogs.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Al,

1)Do you like the tummy guards? I have one also but my setters run like crazy at times and it’s hard to keep them on.I’ve had to get the female stitch’s 3X on her belly and that sucks.

2)Also do you prefer a color on your shorthairs?I really like the white with the brown body spots.

3)Best of luck if you and Nick chose to breed the dogs.I’m sure the pups will sell very easy.

Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Al,

1)Do you like the tummy guards? I have one also but my setters run like crazy at times and it’s hard to keep them on.I’ve had to get the female stitch’s 3X on her belly and that sucks.

2)Also do you prefer a color on your shorthairs?I really like the white with the brown body spots.

3)Best of luck if you and Nick chose to breed the dogs.I’m sure the pups will sell very easy.

Ryan Hale

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Al I noticed the vests your dogs are wearing also and I think I may have asked you about this last year but I do not remember. Do you have a problem with these vests rubbing the dogs raw under there legs and if not what brand are they and where did you get them? I have a vest that looks allot like the ones you have in the pic and I have the problem with the rubbing under the legs and like Ryan I have also had the problem of cut bellies and stitch’s and yes I agree it sucks big time.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Al I noticed the vests your dogs are wearing also and I think I may have asked you about this last year but I do not remember. Do you have a problem with these vests rubbing the dogs raw under there legs and if not what brand are they and where did you get them? I have a vest that looks allot like the ones you have in the pic and I have the problem with the rubbing under the legs and like Ryan I have also had the problem of cut bellies and stitch’s and yes I agree it sucks big time.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Here is the website on Drs Foster & Smith Hunting Vest where you can get the vest that I use on my dogs. I like these vest the best as they are made out of Cordura material and the black is elastic streatchable material that help hold the vest to the dogs body. Also the zipper is on the top of the vest and goes from the head to the tail so it won’t unzip while the dog is running. I have only had the vest come off once in 8 years of hunting and that was due to the last bad winter we had when most of the birds were killed off about 4 or 5 years ago. I tried to hunt toward the end of the season in very very deep snow and the vest filled up with snow and pulled off the dogs. Other than that they will stay on perfect and has saved me alot of stitching. I usually only put them on the dogs during deer shotgun season or when I know that I am going to hunt an area with alot of rough brush like mulitflora rose bushes. There was one time last year that I wished I had put them on the dogs as Grif went through a barbed wire fence after a downed bird at full speed. I didn’t see him at the time and he ripped his chest wide open. I know that if I had the vest on him that his injury would not of been as severe as it was. They will rub at the inside of the front legs some, so try to stretch out the leg openings as much as you can to help allivate this problem. But still there is going to be some rubbing of the leg area if you have a dog that has some wheels on him. So here is what I do with them then. Just put some vasoline on the dogs legs where the vest will rub and this will help out a great deal where you won’t notice much rubbing at all. I also use the vasoline on their feet, around the nose and around the eyes when we are hunting dry grass or areas where the weeds and cover can turn a dog raw. PS…. the vasoline will not affect the dogs smelling senses at all and will help keep the dogs nose from turning raw on those all day long hunts. Anyway, Drs Foster and Smith is about the only place I know of that sells these vest right now….. they are great and I highly recommend them. Nothing out there on the market even compares to these. Plus if you get a tear in one, its much easier to sew up the vest then the dog.

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Here is the website on Drs Foster & Smith Hunting Vest where you can get the vest that I use on my dogs. I like these vest the best as they are made out of Cordura material and the black is elastic streatchable material that help hold the vest to the dogs body. Also the zipper is on the top of the vest and goes from the head to the tail so it won’t unzip while the dog is running. I have only had the vest come off once in 8 years of hunting and that was due to the last bad winter we had when most of the birds were killed off about 4 or 5 years ago. I tried to hunt toward the end of the season in very very deep snow and the vest filled up with snow and pulled off the dogs. Other than that they will stay on perfect and has saved me alot of stitching. I usually only put them on the dogs during deer shotgun season or when I know that I am going to hunt an area with alot of rough brush like mulitflora rose bushes. There was one time last year that I wished I had put them on the dogs as Grif went through a barbed wire fence after a downed bird at full speed. I didn’t see him at the time and he ripped his chest wide open. I know that if I had the vest on him that his injury would not of been as severe as it was. They will rub at the inside of the front legs some, so try to stretch out the leg openings as much as you can to help allivate this problem. But still there is going to be some rubbing of the leg area if you have a dog that has some wheels on him. So here is what I do with them then. Just put some vasoline on the dogs legs where the vest will rub and this will help out a great deal where you won’t notice much rubbing at all. I also use the vasoline on their feet, around the nose and around the eyes when we are hunting dry grass or areas where the weeds and cover can turn a dog raw. PS…. the vasoline will not affect the dogs smelling senses at all and will help keep the dogs nose from turning raw on those all day long hunts. Anyway, Drs Foster and Smith is about the only place I know of that sells these vest right now….. they are great and I highly recommend them. Nothing out there on the market even compares to these. Plus if you get a tear in one, its much easier to sew up the vest then the dog.

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Ryan,
    To answer your question about my favorite color of GSP…. I am partial to the solid liver as they have become hard to find…. white with liver spots has become more popular. But my favorite is a Solid Roan color. When we breed Grif, all of his pups came out solid liver except for 1. And it was a solid roan “female”. Man was she a beautiful dog. If that pup would of been a male, he would of been mine today.

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Ryan,
    To answer your question about my favorite color of GSP…. I am partial to the solid liver as they have become hard to find…. white with liver spots has become more popular. But my favorite is a Solid Roan color. When we breed Grif, all of his pups came out solid liver except for 1. And it was a solid roan “female”. Man was she a beautiful dog. If that pup would of been a male, he would of been mine today.

bird

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.