Def fluid

• grizzly
    nebraska

Does it freeze up north where its colder and if so is there something to add to it to stop the freezing? never had any trouble down here in Nebr. heading up north next week so just wondering.

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

I believe the freezing point of DEF is 12 degrees F There are no additives as far as I know to add to it. I was at Lake of the Woods with temp at minus 30 and it never froze on me. I ran my diesel at 10 pm and started it when I got up at 7 am and had no problems. Various vehicles have heaters that keep it warm for a certain time period.

B-man

It will freeze solid. Don’t add anything.

Your truck has a heater to thaw it out automatically.

grizzly
    nebraska

we are heading up to LOTW next week to look at some seasonal places and want to drive my truck but heard the def will freeze up there

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Never had an issue with def freezing.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Yep, it freezes. Your truck has a heater to thaw it out as needed. Just don’t overfill the tank! If the tank is filled and fluid is still in the filler neck when it freezes it can crack.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

It will freeze solid. Don’t add anything.

Your truck has a heater to thaw it out automatically.

This is correct.

Tinker
    Iron Range

I buy the winter blend and have never had a problem . I carry an extra gallon in the trunk with no problem . Check the labels before buying.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I buy the winter blend and have never had a problem . I carry an extra gallon in the trunk with no problem . Check the labels before buying.

Winter Blend DEF? ??? Never heard of it.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Ok, who else had google what Def Fluid is/does? roll whistling doah

-J.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tinker wrote:</div>

Winter Blend DEF? ??? Never heard of it.

Me either, in fact google doesn’t even know what winter blend DEF is…

grizzly
    nebraska

just talked to my dodge dealer and he never heard of it , he said same as you guys to just plug it in when parking it over night and it is good while its running. thanks guys

B-man

What?? Winter blend DEF? And your truck has a trunk? jester

carver
    West Metro

Government Juice

Charles

Government Juice

ah you watching farming youtubers lol I seen few guys use that exact term lol.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Ok, who else had google what Def Fluid is/does?
    -J.

If you know anybody who has bought a diesel-powered anything within the last few years, you’ll have heard plenty about DEF. It usually starts with something like, “#$%^&*! government with all this DEF emissions #$%@, now the #$%^&!@ is $%^&*@! busted for the fifth #$%^&*! time…”

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>
    Ok, who else had google what Def Fluid is/does?
    -J.

If you know anybody who has bought a diesel-powered anything within the last few years, you’ll have heard plenty about DEF. It usually starts with something like, “#$%^&*! government with all this DEF emissions #$%@, now the #$%^&!@ is $%^&*@! busted for the fifth #$%^&*! time…”

Grouse

I dunno. Lot of the hotshot guys are driving the Dodge with the Cummins. Motors are solid, the DEF is more of a aggravation than a problem. At least thats my observation with nearly 300,000 miles on mine.

carver
    West Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>carver wrote:</div>
    Government Juice

ah you watching farming youtubers lol I seen few guys use that exact term lol.

Sure am some funny stuff sometimes.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I dunno. Lot of the hotshot guys are driving the Dodge with the Cummins. Motors are solid, the DEF is more of a aggravation than a problem. At least thats my observation with nearly 300,000 miles on mine.

I suspect that like ethanol, DEF and emissions equipment gets blamed for a lot of problems that they didn’t cause. But that doesn’t stop people from complaining… And as you say, there’s the aggravation factor of having to have DEF on hand in the first place.

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pretty much all the Kwik Trips in Minnesota and many other stations now have pumps for DEF.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

You fill up with DEF every 4 of 5 tanks of fuel and you soon learn where it is at the pumps and has never been an issue. It usually takes 2 to 3 gallons to fill the tank.
    FYI – If it weren’t for DEF I would’t have purchased a diesel. With DEF the diesel smell literally vanishes.

grizzly
    nebraska

I have never bought it at the pump,i allways buy it on sale in the 2.5 gal. jugs. how much is it a gal. at the pumps anyway?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

On my Dodge when the DEF gauge hits 1/2 it takes 2 1/2 gallons to fill. While the truckers notice a lack of power you can’t argue that DEF has done away with the black smoke belching out of the stacks of those semi’s.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ll buy it at the pump when I’m home. When caught traveling and I get my notice then I pay more for the jug. Mine is a 2012 DuraMax. I don’t have a gauge to give me a clue. It just happens.

MnPat1

I carry an extra gallon in the trunk with no problem .

Must be a short box crew cab. Some car trunks are bigger.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I am not a big fan of DEF myself. All 4 times when truck needed service it was DEF related. I don’t mind the smell or rolling coal, but that’s just me.

sji

Winter blend DEF

In three gallon container start with two gallons of room temperature DEF, SLOWLY stir in one gallon of lutefisk juice being careful not to agitate to fast as it is high octane. Good to -50 or as cold as it could possibly get here in New Asgard.

B-man

I have never bought it at the pump,i allways buy it on sale in the 2.5 gal. jugs. how much is it a gal. at the pumps anyway?

I don’t remember what it was the last time I bought it, but it’s usually around $2.75 a gallon.

The Kwik Trip near me in Chisago county has it.

B-man

The DEF system has been implemented into off-road equipment recently too.

Newer air compressors and pumps that we rent have DEF now. I’d assume heavier equipment like backhoes and dozers have it now as well.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.