So did anyone get lucky?

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I was up at 4am this morning, on the walk to my stand the full moons light was sparking off the frost covered ground, it looked like tiny fireflies, very cool to see. When I got to my tree before I could even get into the tree I had a deer snorting at me. I was on in my tree lounge by 5:30 am, a little after 6am I had 3 does come by. The rest of the morning was slow I did not see another deer until 1pm. At the last bit of legal shooting light I had a small buck run three does past my stand, the buck stopped and offered me a easy shot, I passed and as he wandered away into the next field I saw a couple of more bucks, one looked like a decent buck but was too far away. Even though I went home with an empty tag all in all it was a good day

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve enjoyed many a day just watching nature. frost is beautiful in the morning sunlight. Seen a really nice redfox, red and orange and a thick full pelt, come up a trail after a heavy frost. Things like this are nature at its best.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve enjoyed many a day just watching nature. frost is beautiful in the morning sunlight. Seen a really nice redfox, red and orange and a thick full pelt, come up a trail after a heavy frost. Things like this are nature at its best.

bucketmouth1

I ended up shooting a 10 pt the first day. He was a real heavy racked buck. I can only guess on the spread as of right now cause I shot one antler off. He field dressed out at 175. I got him at noon on Saturday. He was in hot pursuit of a doe. The DNR had a cwd test site set up at the registration site when I went to register him so I gave them the head to be tested. They won’t have any results until after the first of the year and will only contact me if the test comes back positive. Otherwise saw a few deer saw even fewer hunters and heard even fewer shots. Any of you MN residents have an explanation for that. Normally where I hunt I see many hunters but not this year. Everybody hunting the second season.

bucketmouth1

I ended up shooting a 10 pt the first day. He was a real heavy racked buck. I can only guess on the spread as of right now cause I shot one antler off. He field dressed out at 175. I got him at noon on Saturday. He was in hot pursuit of a doe. The DNR had a cwd test site set up at the registration site when I went to register him so I gave them the head to be tested. They won’t have any results until after the first of the year and will only contact me if the test comes back positive. Otherwise saw a few deer saw even fewer hunters and heard even fewer shots. Any of you MN residents have an explanation for that. Normally where I hunt I see many hunters but not this year. Everybody hunting the second season.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

What a day in the deer woods today, it started out with about seven deer crossing the road in front of me into the property I hunt on the drive in this morning. I barely got into my stand and I had a six point come in he was so close I could have spit on him, this was about 6am. Around 7am the same buck came back followed by a doe and a spike and all of them right under my stand again. Around 11am I decided to get out of my stand and stretch my legs for a while, this stand is part way down a gully. I was gone for about an hour checking some other spots, I decided it was too windy up on top and headed back to my original stand. I started down the gully to my stand and kicked up a doe, that was at noon. At 1:15 a head a noise behind and above me what I thought was a squirrel, turned out to be another buck a little bit bigger that the six point but I did not get a good look at him as I spooked him when I turned around. At the end of the day I had the same six point back in the same spot for the third time today, this guy was just begging me to blast him, I passed on him for the third time. Driving out of the property and down the long driveway I always check out the field on my way out with my spot light, (I always carry my gun in the back of the pickup so I am legal spotting) I counted 20 does in the field. I turned on to the main road down the hill to the next road which is the road I live on, half way home I spot a TEN POINT BUCK WALKING RIHGT DOWN THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!
    This is a little ways out of town but is populated with housing developments surrounded by lots of woods, he stood there not knowing what to do for about a min as he was between me and yard with a barking dog, he was trying to find a place where he could fit his RACK through the fence Through the whole ordeal the buck stayed quite calm and just quietly slipped away. This area was not to far away from an area that I bow hunt, hopefully I will see him again when I am on stand

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

What a day in the deer woods today, it started out with about seven deer crossing the road in front of me into the property I hunt on the drive in this morning. I barely got into my stand and I had a six point come in he was so close I could have spit on him, this was about 6am. Around 7am the same buck came back followed by a doe and a spike and all of them right under my stand again. Around 11am I decided to get out of my stand and stretch my legs for a while, this stand is part way down a gully. I was gone for about an hour checking some other spots, I decided it was too windy up on top and headed back to my original stand. I started down the gully to my stand and kicked up a doe, that was at noon. At 1:15 a head a noise behind and above me what I thought was a squirrel, turned out to be another buck a little bit bigger that the six point but I did not get a good look at him as I spooked him when I turned around. At the end of the day I had the same six point back in the same spot for the third time today, this guy was just begging me to blast him, I passed on him for the third time. Driving out of the property and down the long driveway I always check out the field on my way out with my spot light, (I always carry my gun in the back of the pickup so I am legal spotting) I counted 20 does in the field. I turned on to the main road down the hill to the next road which is the road I live on, half way home I spot a TEN POINT BUCK WALKING RIHGT DOWN THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!
    This is a little ways out of town but is populated with housing developments surrounded by lots of woods, he stood there not knowing what to do for about a min as he was between me and yard with a barking dog, he was trying to find a place where he could fit his RACK through the fence Through the whole ordeal the buck stayed quite calm and just quietly slipped away. This area was not to far away from an area that I bow hunt, hopefully I will see him again when I am on stand

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Congrats on the ten point bucketmouth

I have not heard too much shooting this weekend either and the land I hunt on I am the only one who has permission to hunt it this weekend so its alot like bow hunting but using a gun instead, the deer do not seem to be very spooky yet.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Congrats on the ten point bucketmouth

I have not heard too much shooting this weekend either and the land I hunt on I am the only one who has permission to hunt it this weekend so its alot like bow hunting but using a gun instead, the deer do not seem to be very spooky yet.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sunday was not to bad for me. Shot 2 deer in the morning sitting on a ridge that I had never hunted before. Chose this spot after the my usuall stand had very little sign around it on saturday morning.
    Headed back out to the ridge on saturday about 1 and by 2 my uncle shows up thinking No one was going to be there. So I give him the spot and head to the next ridge over. Got about 75 yards into the swamp and bagged anouther deer.
    It is way cool to walk up on deer in the woods. About a third of my deer thru the years have come this way.
    Since my hunting was limeted to this weekend I was not concerned about quality deer. Just wanted some meat. Was very happy to bring home 2 nice does with me and left a small buck for my uncle.
    Fishing season starts again this week for me.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sunday was not to bad for me. Shot 2 deer in the morning sitting on a ridge that I had never hunted before. Chose this spot after the my usuall stand had very little sign around it on saturday morning.
    Headed back out to the ridge on saturday about 1 and by 2 my uncle shows up thinking No one was going to be there. So I give him the spot and head to the next ridge over. Got about 75 yards into the swamp and bagged anouther deer.
    It is way cool to walk up on deer in the woods. About a third of my deer thru the years have come this way.
    Since my hunting was limeted to this weekend I was not concerned about quality deer. Just wanted some meat. Was very happy to bring home 2 nice does with me and left a small buck for my uncle.
    Fishing season starts again this week for me.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We went 4 for 5 in Pine City. My son AJ shot two yesterday, a buck was tending a doe, and he waited them out, and got clear shots, and got them both at about 9:30. We had 3 bucks in the group, nothing large. We had a blast! It is fun watching the kids!
    Tuck

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We went 4 for 5 in Pine City. My son AJ shot two yesterday, a buck was tending a doe, and he waited them out, and got clear shots, and got them both at about 9:30. We had 3 bucks in the group, nothing large. We had a blast! It is fun watching the kids!
    Tuck

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

My weekend did not go to hot i missed the same big 10 point that i had missed with my bow a week earlier driving back home i saw a decent 8 point tried gettin him on the run and did not get it but so i go back to the same stand i missed the 10 point on the dat before i go there yesterday and missed an even bigger buck at 100 yards ended up shooting my deer for my managmnt tag last night so it made thr weekend a little better but is anyone else out there seeing more bucks than ever! Oh well still got next weekend muzzleloading and bow left. Should get another one hopefully saw 67 deer yesterday. Our group of 5 ended up with 5 so we are happy for now.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

My weekend did not go to hot i missed the same big 10 point that i had missed with my bow a week earlier driving back home i saw a decent 8 point tried gettin him on the run and did not get it but so i go back to the same stand i missed the 10 point on the dat before i go there yesterday and missed an even bigger buck at 100 yards ended up shooting my deer for my managmnt tag last night so it made thr weekend a little better but is anyone else out there seeing more bucks than ever! Oh well still got next weekend muzzleloading and bow left. Should get another one hopefully saw 67 deer yesterday. Our group of 5 ended up with 5 so we are happy for now.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I almost got me a big fat doe and a nice 5×5 buck this weekend. On Saturday night, I was traveling home from Crookston. I had one doe almost take me out and the $20k of sleds I was hauling. It was all I could do to get slowed down for her to pass. Not far down the road, a nice 5×5 scared me, but was not nearly as close as the doe. I figured by the time I got home, I may end calling the sheriff for a road kill tag the way my luck was going.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I almost got me a big fat doe and a nice 5×5 buck this weekend. On Saturday night, I was traveling home from Crookston. I had one doe almost take me out and the $20k of sleds I was hauling. It was all I could do to get slowed down for her to pass. Not far down the road, a nice 5×5 scared me, but was not nearly as close as the doe. I figured by the time I got home, I may end calling the sheriff for a road kill tag the way my luck was going.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Just a quick report on today’s hunt:
    Saw a lot of deer again today, a spike, a six point, and an eight point and lots of does but no shooter bucks yet Maybe Mr. Big will show himself tomorrow

More tomorrow night

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Just a quick report on today’s hunt:
    Saw a lot of deer again today, a spike, a six point, and an eight point and lots of does but no shooter bucks yet Maybe Mr. Big will show himself tomorrow

More tomorrow night

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Our group had 8 bucks for 10 guys. They included a 12, 10, 9, 2 8’s, 6 and 2 spikes. I was lucky enough to get the 12 and 9. Both weighed over 200 lbs. The 12 is getting mounted. Here’s the 9.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Our group had 8 bucks for 10 guys. They included a 12, 10, 9, 2 8’s, 6 and 2 spikes. I was lucky enough to get the 12 and 9. Both weighed over 200 lbs. The 12 is getting mounted. Here’s the 9.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Sweet Daddy! Nice couple of bucks Mike! Congrats!
    Tuck

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Sweet Daddy! Nice couple of bucks Mike! Congrats!
    Tuck

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

All right Mike
    Got any pics of the 12?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

All right Mike
    Got any pics of the 12?

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Not til the mount is done. The digital was at home and we stopped at the taxidermist on our way home. Can’t wait til Feb!!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Not til the mount is done. The digital was at home and we stopped at the taxidermist on our way home. Can’t wait til Feb!!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.