Hunting the “rut”

• fishsjj

This is the first time I have bow hunted the rut. I hunted on the 31st of Oct. I saw 4 bucks and I believe a doe. Then I did not hunt until Nov. 5th (all day and all day today (Nov. 6). I did not see a deer of any sort either day. I know both bucks and does are there, the trail cam tells me so. So where did the deer go? It is my belief that the main breeding part of the rut has not happened yet. Maybe that is wrong. I was thinking that the bucks chasing does phase should be happening right now, I never have seen that yet. I guess I’m not sure what is happening or how I should be hunting right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Here is the normal trend and factors.
    Factor 1: Deer are mostly nocturnal.
    Factor 2: Deer become even more nocturnal during full moon stages.
    Factor 3: Because of this night activity, the bucks chase the does all night, doing their thing. They are worn out after a hard, long night of chasing tail, so they sleep in on the mornings after, just like us!

In all reality, it is only my theory. But I do think I’m onto something to be honest. If they are working it all night, they will bed down for resting. Then they start back up again. Remember, that a doe is only in estrus for what, 26 hours. Because of that, the buck will not leave that doe for that timeframe. If there are other bucks, he may even push that doe out of the area for privacy from the competetion of the other bucks.

Pre-rut is ideal, but during the rut is an all day hunting afair. Those deer may come by at any hour of the day because of their natural activity that they are partaking in.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Here is the normal trend and factors.
    Factor 1: Deer are mostly nocturnal.
    Factor 2: Deer become even more nocturnal during full moon stages.
    Factor 3: Because of this night activity, the bucks chase the does all night, doing their thing. They are worn out after a hard, long night of chasing tail, so they sleep in on the mornings after, just like us!

In all reality, it is only my theory. But I do think I’m onto something to be honest. If they are working it all night, they will bed down for resting. Then they start back up again. Remember, that a doe is only in estrus for what, 26 hours. Because of that, the buck will not leave that doe for that timeframe. If there are other bucks, he may even push that doe out of the area for privacy from the competetion of the other bucks.

Pre-rut is ideal, but during the rut is an all day hunting afair. Those deer may come by at any hour of the day because of their natural activity that they are partaking in.

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

This full moon deal is not good. I hunted ALL day yesterday except 2 hours (travel and walkin time)and only seen one doe (hiding right in a brush pile.)I think she was hiding harder from area bucks than me. I saw a small 8pt and another scrub buck. Now this morning I figured with the cold crisp morning the deer would be runnin. I sat and froze in my stand till 10:30 and never seen a deer.
    This rut phase is tricky. Last year I thought every deer had drop off the planet for a few days. Then one morning I had a a doe in heat by stand. Bucks were everywhere. Time and patiences is your best guide to hunting the rut.I had a guy at work that use to ALWAYS tell me “They’re out there!!” when I was getting frustrated about few deer sighting. Post rut will be better than the rut. The boys will be searchin for stray does then. Just hang in there and enjoy the fresh air.

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

This full moon deal is not good. I hunted ALL day yesterday except 2 hours (travel and walkin time)and only seen one doe (hiding right in a brush pile.)I think she was hiding harder from area bucks than me. I saw a small 8pt and another scrub buck. Now this morning I figured with the cold crisp morning the deer would be runnin. I sat and froze in my stand till 10:30 and never seen a deer.
    This rut phase is tricky. Last year I thought every deer had drop off the planet for a few days. Then one morning I had a a doe in heat by stand. Bucks were everywhere. Time and patiences is your best guide to hunting the rut.I had a guy at work that use to ALWAYS tell me “They’re out there!!” when I was getting frustrated about few deer sighting. Post rut will be better than the rut. The boys will be searchin for stray does then. Just hang in there and enjoy the fresh air.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey guys, I’ve got one more thing i’ve been thinking about too. In an area there are only so many deer. One day you see them, the next day you don’t. I think thier just in another part of the timber. I’ve read articles where bucks feed heavy during pre-rut so they have the strength to chase does as much as they can and still stay on thier feet.The way i took this article was the bucks are almost always on the move, i know this dosen’t sound like a deer could do this but i took it as they were almost continuely chasing does. If they could make it to thier feet and stand up they would be chasing does. I know that bucks don’t eat as much when thier after does, thats why they’ve fattened up befor the rut for the strenght they need now. I’ve seen the same thing happen at my stand, one day or two no deer the next couple of days you see them. Its eigther thier staying in one spot in that part of the timber or thier resting which i don’t think is the case. I think thier just in another part of the timber and will eventually come by again. Try setting up about a mile away or try something completly diffrent like meadows edge, something that diffrent from what your doing now.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey guys, I’ve got one more thing i’ve been thinking about too. In an area there are only so many deer. One day you see them, the next day you don’t. I think thier just in another part of the timber. I’ve read articles where bucks feed heavy during pre-rut so they have the strength to chase does as much as they can and still stay on thier feet.The way i took this article was the bucks are almost always on the move, i know this dosen’t sound like a deer could do this but i took it as they were almost continuely chasing does. If they could make it to thier feet and stand up they would be chasing does. I know that bucks don’t eat as much when thier after does, thats why they’ve fattened up befor the rut for the strenght they need now. I’ve seen the same thing happen at my stand, one day or two no deer the next couple of days you see them. Its eigther thier staying in one spot in that part of the timber or thier resting which i don’t think is the case. I think thier just in another part of the timber and will eventually come by again. Try setting up about a mile away or try something completly diffrent like meadows edge, something that diffrent from what your doing now.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I know its a fact that its the lack of light that enters the does eyes and is received on recepticals at the rear of her eye that triggers her into heat. I don’t hunt the full moons eigther, i think the dark of the moon, lack of light, is the best. I know the dark of the moon in oct. nov and dec. are the best times for a doe to come into estrous. Calm days and nights matched with the dark of the moon are the best i’ve found out. I do know if the winds up around 12 to 15 miles an hour they can’t depend on thier sense of smell and won’t move unless they are chased. These are some of the things i hunt with.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I know its a fact that its the lack of light that enters the does eyes and is received on recepticals at the rear of her eye that triggers her into heat. I don’t hunt the full moons eigther, i think the dark of the moon, lack of light, is the best. I know the dark of the moon in oct. nov and dec. are the best times for a doe to come into estrous. Calm days and nights matched with the dark of the moon are the best i’ve found out. I do know if the winds up around 12 to 15 miles an hour they can’t depend on thier sense of smell and won’t move unless they are chased. These are some of the things i hunt with.

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

when there is a full moon out your best bet is hunting during the mid day

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

when there is a full moon out your best bet is hunting during the mid day

scottsteil
    Central MN

This is my experience with what you are seeing. Around Halloween, the bucks were going wild. Does were not ready, but were getting close and the bucks were on the move. Now, some does are ready and the bucks are after them. The buck activity always slows down around this time, because the bucks are staying close to the does that are ready.

I end up putting way more time in this time of year, and see fewer deer, but your odds of seeing “the big one” are much better, as a lot of the bucks you see before the does are ready are the smaller ones. The big ones are smart and they know when the time is right to do their thing. If you put your time in you will eventually see a buck on the tail of that hot doe. I did last night finally after to days of seeing nothing.

The full moon is no good, as most have mentioned already, but full moon or not, the buck activity will slow down some at this time.

On a side note, a pickup got one of the deer I have been after for a couple years this AM. About 8:30 is got hit crossing the road I had a lot of time into that big guy!

scottsteil
    Central MN

This is my experience with what you are seeing. Around Halloween, the bucks were going wild. Does were not ready, but were getting close and the bucks were on the move. Now, some does are ready and the bucks are after them. The buck activity always slows down around this time, because the bucks are staying close to the does that are ready.

I end up putting way more time in this time of year, and see fewer deer, but your odds of seeing “the big one” are much better, as a lot of the bucks you see before the does are ready are the smaller ones. The big ones are smart and they know when the time is right to do their thing. If you put your time in you will eventually see a buck on the tail of that hot doe. I did last night finally after to days of seeing nothing.

The full moon is no good, as most have mentioned already, but full moon or not, the buck activity will slow down some at this time.

On a side note, a pickup got one of the deer I have been after for a couple years this AM. About 8:30 is got hit crossing the road I had a lot of time into that big guy!

fishsjj

Thanks guys for all your input. It has helped me understand more about the rut.

Good luck to all of you.

sjj

fishsjj

Thanks guys for all your input. It has helped me understand more about the rut.

Good luck to all of you.

sjj

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.