Deer Hunting with Handguns

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

With everybody gearing up for the upcoming season, is there anybody out there that hunts with a handgun? I carry a .44mag Colt Anaconda with a Pro-Point scope on it. It’s one of the first ones Colt offered with factory ports. I love it. It shoots like a dream and really tips those deer over.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Has anyone been shooting the savage pistol (I think that’s who makes it). It is in a .308 caliber.

Apparently, it is legal in slug zones.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Has anyone been shooting the savage pistol (I think that’s who makes it). It is in a .308 caliber.

Apparently, it is legal in slug zones.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I think you are talking about the Savage Strikers. They are similar to the Thompson Contenders. They are legal in slug only zones. If I had the $ I’d buy the conversion kit for my Encore. Thompson makes a bunch of barrels that convert my Encore to rifles and handguns. That’s what made the Encore so appealing to me.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I think you are talking about the Savage Strikers. They are similar to the Thompson Contenders. They are legal in slug only zones. If I had the $ I’d buy the conversion kit for my Encore. Thompson makes a bunch of barrels that convert my Encore to rifles and handguns. That’s what made the Encore so appealing to me.

Bogsucker
    SE MN

Blue Fleck

Yeah, I’ll be sitting on the bluff northwest of your house with the Super-Blackhawk .44 mag Saturday morning, I also hunt with a .54 cal black powder pistol. Dad’s been down checking on the loggers this fall and has seen a few deer, hopefully the logging hasn’t disrupted the deer too much. Thinking about duck hunting the island Sunday afternoon. Have you duck hunted it at all this year?

Bogsucker
    SE MN

Blue Fleck

Yeah, I’ll be sitting on the bluff northwest of your house with the Super-Blackhawk .44 mag Saturday morning, I also hunt with a .54 cal black powder pistol. Dad’s been down checking on the loggers this fall and has seen a few deer, hopefully the logging hasn’t disrupted the deer too much. Thinking about duck hunting the island Sunday afternoon. Have you duck hunted it at all this year?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

You’ve got mail!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

You’ve got mail!

Bogsucker
    SE MN

The Super-Blackhawk spoke well yesterday. I shot a decent 8 point about 2:30 pm yesterday. I took off of work at 1:00 pm and hunted some public land near Rochester. I still hunt the area as it gets a lot of hunting pressure and the deer usually don’t move unless your right on top of them. The Wind was blowin snow and rain at about 40 mph when I shot him at about 30 yards. Knocked him down instantly then he tried to get up so I popped him 2 more times just to make sure, probably wouldn’t have had to shoot him again though. Now I have to wait until Muzzleloader season to shoot a doe (all season lic.)!

Bogsucker
    SE MN

The Super-Blackhawk spoke well yesterday. I shot a decent 8 point about 2:30 pm yesterday. I took off of work at 1:00 pm and hunted some public land near Rochester. I still hunt the area as it gets a lot of hunting pressure and the deer usually don’t move unless your right on top of them. The Wind was blowin snow and rain at about 40 mph when I shot him at about 30 yards. Knocked him down instantly then he tried to get up so I popped him 2 more times just to make sure, probably wouldn’t have had to shoot him again though. Now I have to wait until Muzzleloader season to shoot a doe (all season lic.)!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.