Muzzleloading???

• whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Has anyone ever shot the power belt 295 grain aero tips?
    What is your favorite muzzleloading projectile?
    I’m relatively new to the muzzloading world and am looking for suggestions.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I personally have had my best luck with the Hornady sabot slugs can’t rember off the top of my head the exacts if them, i believe they are 240 grain and man do they drop a deer in a hurry wow! Match it up with 100 grains of Pyrodex and its alethal combo. What type of muzzleloader do you shoot whitetail4ever? I shoot the Thompson Black diamond and is it ever accurate once they are dialed in they don’t move an inch on ya.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I personally have had my best luck with the Hornady sabot slugs can’t rember off the top of my head the exacts if them, i believe they are 240 grain and man do they drop a deer in a hurry wow! Match it up with 100 grains of Pyrodex and its alethal combo. What type of muzzleloader do you shoot whitetail4ever? I shoot the Thompson Black diamond and is it ever accurate once they are dialed in they don’t move an inch on ya.

Jerry K
    Stewartville

I have a Knight 50 cal. Shoot Hornady 44 cal 240 grain hollow points with sabots and 90 grains of Pyrodex. Very acurate and very deadly.

Jerry K
    Stewartville

I have a Knight 50 cal. Shoot Hornady 44 cal 240 grain hollow points with sabots and 90 grains of Pyrodex. Very acurate and very deadly.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’m relatively new to the muzzleloading scene also. I have a Thompson Encore .50 cal. I use the Thompson Shockwave Sabots with 100 grains of Triple 7 powder. I don’t think I’ll switch to anything else. It shoots too nice with that load.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’m relatively new to the muzzleloading scene also. I have a Thompson Encore .50 cal. I use the Thompson Shockwave Sabots with 100 grains of Triple 7 powder. I don’t think I’ll switch to anything else. It shoots too nice with that load.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I bought a Thompson Center Omega in a .50 cal. Also I’m wondering why most people don’t shoot more then 100 grains of powder, do the sabots not shoot as well with that much powder or is it a comfort thing?

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I bought a Thompson Center Omega in a .50 cal. Also I’m wondering why most people don’t shoot more then 100 grains of powder, do the sabots not shoot as well with that much powder or is it a comfort thing?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I started with 100 grains and I was able to hit my target at 100 yards with that load. I have some family members that shoot 150 grains and they are always complaining about the recoil. Personally I think they are overdoing it. Too much powder and it affects your accuracy. I want to be able to drive tacks with mine at 100 yards. After a little fine tuning this week I should be able to do that.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I started with 100 grains and I was able to hit my target at 100 yards with that load. I have some family members that shoot 150 grains and they are always complaining about the recoil. Personally I think they are overdoing it. Too much powder and it affects your accuracy. I want to be able to drive tacks with mine at 100 yards. After a little fine tuning this week I should be able to do that.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Do you shoot flat out to 100 yds. Or are you a little high at 50?

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Do you shoot flat out to 100 yds. Or are you a little high at 50?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Here’s how it went for me. When I shot that target, it was the first time I shot the gun. Period. I loaded it with 100 grains and a sabot slug. It shot a 1″ group at 25 yards. One problem, the group was 7″ high and 2″ to the right. It wasn’t my desire to sight the gun in right then and there. I really wanted to get the feel for the gun and how to load it, so on and so on. The range I was at had a ‘bell’ shaped target 100 yards back. I was determined to ‘ring’ that thing. My buddy kept his binos fixed on it as I shot. Keeping in mind the gun shot high and to the right I aimed for the lower left corner and plugged that thing better than I could have imagined. Not wanting to wonder if it was a fluke, I reloaded and hit it square again. So, I can’t tell you if it shoots high at 50 yards. All I know is if I can get it sighted in at 25 yards the rest should fall into place. I’m hoping to get out before the end of the week and get it sighted in. I’ll be sure to let you know, good or bad.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Here’s how it went for me. When I shot that target, it was the first time I shot the gun. Period. I loaded it with 100 grains and a sabot slug. It shot a 1″ group at 25 yards. One problem, the group was 7″ high and 2″ to the right. It wasn’t my desire to sight the gun in right then and there. I really wanted to get the feel for the gun and how to load it, so on and so on. The range I was at had a ‘bell’ shaped target 100 yards back. I was determined to ‘ring’ that thing. My buddy kept his binos fixed on it as I shot. Keeping in mind the gun shot high and to the right I aimed for the lower left corner and plugged that thing better than I could have imagined. Not wanting to wonder if it was a fluke, I reloaded and hit it square again. So, I can’t tell you if it shoots high at 50 yards. All I know is if I can get it sighted in at 25 yards the rest should fall into place. I’m hoping to get out before the end of the week and get it sighted in. I’ll be sure to let you know, good or bad.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I have tried many different variations of powder….i have tried 150, 120, 80 and 100 150 you can shoot 5 times and not be close to each other on some shots then the next is right on then it is off again and so on. 120 was pretty well acurate but 100 was right on the nose. The recoil with 150 grains also sucks really bad and about blows you out of the stand and to do that to me is very hard im a big boy here lol….but yes I would without a doubt shoot 100 grain. I never knew there was this many muzzleloaders on the board we should organize a deer hunt in december to all meet up somewhere to share some tipes maybe.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I have tried many different variations of powder….i have tried 150, 120, 80 and 100 150 you can shoot 5 times and not be close to each other on some shots then the next is right on then it is off again and so on. 120 was pretty well acurate but 100 was right on the nose. The recoil with 150 grains also sucks really bad and about blows you out of the stand and to do that to me is very hard im a big boy here lol….but yes I would without a doubt shoot 100 grain. I never knew there was this many muzzleloaders on the board we should organize a deer hunt in december to all meet up somewhere to share some tipes maybe.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Actually, I’m planning on carrying it to my stand this weekend for the firearms opener, 3a season. Thats if I’m comfortable. Last night I put about 20 rounds through it with 130 grains or pyrodex pellets. I also put a 2.5 x 7 leupold scope on it and I’m shooting some cheap sabots in 240 grains just to heat up the barrel then I was going to move to some better sabots to zero in and hunt with. My shoulder is a little sore this morning, so maybe I should move back down to 100 grains. I’ve heard good things about the Power belt and Hornady, I might have to pick some up over lunch break today and try them out tonight. Thanks, for you help guys.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Actually, I’m planning on carrying it to my stand this weekend for the firearms opener, 3a season. Thats if I’m comfortable. Last night I put about 20 rounds through it with 130 grains or pyrodex pellets. I also put a 2.5 x 7 leupold scope on it and I’m shooting some cheap sabots in 240 grains just to heat up the barrel then I was going to move to some better sabots to zero in and hunt with. My shoulder is a little sore this morning, so maybe I should move back down to 100 grains. I’ve heard good things about the Power belt and Hornady, I might have to pick some up over lunch break today and try them out tonight. Thanks, for you help guys.

Bogsucker
    SE MN

90 grains clean-shot behind a 185 grain .495 roundball in the plains rifle (3 kills) or 40 grains clean-shot behind a 240 grain hp sabot in the plains pistol (1 kill).

Bogsucker
    SE MN

90 grains clean-shot behind a 185 grain .495 roundball in the plains rifle (3 kills) or 40 grains clean-shot behind a 240 grain hp sabot in the plains pistol (1 kill).

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Thanks alot guys for the help yesterday. I went out and shot again last night. Dropped back down to 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and a 245 grain power belt. Shot less then a 1 inch group at 50 yards and about a 2.5 to 3 inch group at 100 yards. What an impovement from the day before. It really gave me some confidence, I’ll carry it this weekend for sure now. I can’t believe it shoots that flat I was very impressed with the gun.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Thanks alot guys for the help yesterday. I went out and shot again last night. Dropped back down to 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and a 245 grain power belt. Shot less then a 1 inch group at 50 yards and about a 2.5 to 3 inch group at 100 yards. What an impovement from the day before. It really gave me some confidence, I’ll carry it this weekend for sure now. I can’t believe it shoots that flat I was very impressed with the gun.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

We’ll be looking forward to pics of “da big’un.” Good luck and be safe.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

We’ll be looking forward to pics of “da big’un.” Good luck and be safe.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I’ll need some luck and some help from some of the neighbors. I took last Thursday and Friday off to bowhunt and seen alot of deer but the big one stayed out of site the entire weekend. Good luck to you too! I’ll see if I can figure out how to add a couple pictures to picture thread today.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I’ll need some luck and some help from some of the neighbors. I took last Thursday and Friday off to bowhunt and seen alot of deer but the big one stayed out of site the entire weekend. Good luck to you too! I’ll see if I can figure out how to add a couple pictures to picture thread today.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I need some more help guys, remember I’m a novice when it comes to Muzzleloading. I hunted the 3A firearms season with my new TC Omega, its stainless steel and black. After each day hunting I was told to leave the powder and sabot in the breech and just remove the primer and keep the gun in relatively the same temp. at night to prevent moisture from getting into the breech and cause miss fires. After the second day of hunting with it I notice that the stainless steel barrel is rusting. Did I do something wrong or is the barrel defective? If I’m not at fault what is my next step in fixing the problem. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong, and I also didn’t think stainless steel was suppose to rust. What should I do.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I need some more help guys, remember I’m a novice when it comes to Muzzleloading. I hunted the 3A firearms season with my new TC Omega, its stainless steel and black. After each day hunting I was told to leave the powder and sabot in the breech and just remove the primer and keep the gun in relatively the same temp. at night to prevent moisture from getting into the breech and cause miss fires. After the second day of hunting with it I notice that the stainless steel barrel is rusting. Did I do something wrong or is the barrel defective? If I’m not at fault what is my next step in fixing the problem. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong, and I also didn’t think stainless steel was suppose to rust. What should I do.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The blackpowder residue is very corrosive. So much so, rusting can occur over night in some instances. I would recommend cleaning it thoroughly after you shoot it. I clean mine at the end of the day. Even if that means pulling the breach plug out and retreiving the unused powder and slug. What’s more expensive, a 100 grains of powder and a slug, or a new barrel? Keep it clean and it should last forever. As for leaving the powder and slug in the breech, I guess I wouldn’t recommend it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.