Do you use a scent?

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Lets talk about using scents while deer hunting. Do you use it? Why/why not? What kind of scent do you use? Success rates? Scent placement? What do you think? Good? Bad?
    Here’s mine: Usualy never! I used to for many years – then I stopped. I’ll use some this next week – before the gun slinging starts,…. because I know they are in rut now where I hunt. That’s it though. I’ve tried most brands of deer stuff. I’ve also tried fox P, coon P and skunk scent. I kind-of like skunk odor these days just because of all the stuff I used when I was a kid. It “grew” on me. Anyhow,… when I do now,… I stick with the time tested Tinks #69. It works for me “when” I use scents. In my opinion, keeping out of the wind of the deer is more important. As long as I’m out of their nose radar, I don’t feel I need a scent cover. I have never thought of this stuff as an “attractant.” ….Just cover-up. I’ve never needed to attract deer I guess. Do you homework. Think about your own odor(S) and your clothing ‘s scent and place yourself in the right spot – downwind. It’s worked well for me in the last 10 years. I just wonder how many deer I scared away by using scent in the previous 10???
    ….That’s me. How about you????

Jira

I use a bunch of stuff depending on the time of year.

For mask I hunt near a ton of oaks so I smell like a giant acorn. As I enter my trail I coat… lemme say it.. COAT the bottom of my boots in it. Every year I have deer walk directly in on the trail I’ve walked. To be smart, I know walk through my shooting lanes before my stand.

Pre-rut I work mostly curiosity scents. I don’t use scents during this time that have anything to do with the rut. Ever. Once the rut begins I switch to esturus. I don’t use buck lure because I seem to have less deer walk in. Maybe they are intimidated. I dunno.

I hang my scents about 5 feet off the ground. I use wicks that are stored in plastic bottles and drop out the bottom when in use. I keep them labeled so that I never mix.

I take them down everytime I leave. I rarely mix scents other than the giant acorn scent mixed with whatever lure I am using.

In sum, I don’t know if any of it REALLY works aside from acorn spray.. but it sure keeps me entertained.

Jira

I use a bunch of stuff depending on the time of year.

For mask I hunt near a ton of oaks so I smell like a giant acorn. As I enter my trail I coat… lemme say it.. COAT the bottom of my boots in it. Every year I have deer walk directly in on the trail I’ve walked. To be smart, I know walk through my shooting lanes before my stand.

Pre-rut I work mostly curiosity scents. I don’t use scents during this time that have anything to do with the rut. Ever. Once the rut begins I switch to esturus. I don’t use buck lure because I seem to have less deer walk in. Maybe they are intimidated. I dunno.

I hang my scents about 5 feet off the ground. I use wicks that are stored in plastic bottles and drop out the bottom when in use. I keep them labeled so that I never mix.

I take them down everytime I leave. I rarely mix scents other than the giant acorn scent mixed with whatever lure I am using.

In sum, I don’t know if any of it REALLY works aside from acorn spray.. but it sure keeps me entertained.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I rarely use scents anymore. I try to minimize my scent and work the wind in my favor. After that I try to be patient.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I rarely use scents anymore. I try to minimize my scent and work the wind in my favor. After that I try to be patient.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I use fox p on my boots to help cover my scent trail on the way to my stand…this is the only cover scent I use. I also squirt a bunch of odor eliminator stuff on too…not sure if does much of anything but I figure that it can’t hurt. I use estrus to “freshen” scrapes and to create scrapes near my stand. I have had great success on at least stopping deer by making scrapes…not sure if they were drawn in to it specifically. One of my stands is on the edge of a crop field that most years has a scrape line on it, I simply add one by my stand. I guess when it comes down to it the wind is the most important factor in all of this and should be considered before stand selection.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I use fox p on my boots to help cover my scent trail on the way to my stand…this is the only cover scent I use. I also squirt a bunch of odor eliminator stuff on too…not sure if does much of anything but I figure that it can’t hurt. I use estrus to “freshen” scrapes and to create scrapes near my stand. I have had great success on at least stopping deer by making scrapes…not sure if they were drawn in to it specifically. One of my stands is on the edge of a crop field that most years has a scrape line on it, I simply add one by my stand. I guess when it comes down to it the wind is the most important factor in all of this and should be considered before stand selection.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I read a story once about coverup scents in petersons bowhunting magazine. It said one of the things that scare deer the most is absence of other animals scents because theres getting to be too much human activity around. To keep the area neutral when im hunting i use raccoon cover scent on my boots because theres usually plenty of those around. In pre rut i use only boot coverscent. In rut i use doe in heat urin on a rag at a height above the ground depending on the wind that day. Winds around 6 to 10 i put it closer to the ground, below these speeds i hang it farther above at up to 6′. I put it closer to the ground because the wind will pick it up and move it higher for a denser smell for them to follow. Mild winds and its stays together much farther. I use a pully system to pull my scent rag out too so any scent from my boots dosen’t scare a buck away. Some areas i just hang a rag on a bush. One thing i’ve found out is don’t let the doe in heat urin spoil in the container. I buy small bottles in case it does so i don’t take a loss on a bigger bottle having it going bad and i alway refeeze it after hunting to keep it fresh. I use a buck lure, tinks tarsal gland scent, along with a doe in heat lure. Keeping down wind from a deer is the most important thing too me plus staying clean and as odor free as possible. One things for shure, they smell a guy and thier gone. Anything else thier looking for that fits that time of year is an attractant in rut. If a guy can make a mock scape earlier by his stand with a licking branch above it and keep it clean from human scent and useing pre rut tarsal gland lure then add doe in heat urin awhile later this is a good way to get more activity around a stand, but keep them human scent free.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I read a story once about coverup scents in petersons bowhunting magazine. It said one of the things that scare deer the most is absence of other animals scents because theres getting to be too much human activity around. To keep the area neutral when im hunting i use raccoon cover scent on my boots because theres usually plenty of those around. In pre rut i use only boot coverscent. In rut i use doe in heat urin on a rag at a height above the ground depending on the wind that day. Winds around 6 to 10 i put it closer to the ground, below these speeds i hang it farther above at up to 6′. I put it closer to the ground because the wind will pick it up and move it higher for a denser smell for them to follow. Mild winds and its stays together much farther. I use a pully system to pull my scent rag out too so any scent from my boots dosen’t scare a buck away. Some areas i just hang a rag on a bush. One thing i’ve found out is don’t let the doe in heat urin spoil in the container. I buy small bottles in case it does so i don’t take a loss on a bigger bottle having it going bad and i alway refeeze it after hunting to keep it fresh. I use a buck lure, tinks tarsal gland scent, along with a doe in heat lure. Keeping down wind from a deer is the most important thing too me plus staying clean and as odor free as possible. One things for shure, they smell a guy and thier gone. Anything else thier looking for that fits that time of year is an attractant in rut. If a guy can make a mock scape earlier by his stand with a licking branch above it and keep it clean from human scent and useing pre rut tarsal gland lure then add doe in heat urin awhile later this is a good way to get more activity around a stand, but keep them human scent free.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

there is a product out there that is called excite, it is doe pee. I will take that and put it on the back of my boots and the cuff of my bibs, down where i will walk through the wood. I then will also dip a few branches of the tree in the bottle to let it blow around. i then also put some on the top of my deerstand to cover my sent with the dow pee. works for me, have had really good luck doing it this way. I also hunt in Park Rapids, MN.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

there is a product out there that is called excite, it is doe pee. I will take that and put it on the back of my boots and the cuff of my bibs, down where i will walk through the wood. I then will also dip a few branches of the tree in the bottle to let it blow around. i then also put some on the top of my deerstand to cover my sent with the dow pee. works for me, have had really good luck doing it this way. I also hunt in Park Rapids, MN.

shane

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

The best scent that I have ever used and I really do believe in it because I have seen and had great results with it is, or are, cigarettes. This works in Central WI, and In the wild areas of Northern WI. I have had to set my burning smoke in a crotch of the tree to shoot big bucks only a few yards away. They come right up to the tree and sniff the butts that I dropped. (picked up before I left for the evening). Most of you will think that it is nuts and that is ok. It really does work though.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

The best scent that I have ever used and I really do believe in it because I have seen and had great results with it is, or are, cigarettes. This works in Central WI, and In the wild areas of Northern WI. I have had to set my burning smoke in a crotch of the tree to shoot big bucks only a few yards away. They come right up to the tree and sniff the butts that I dropped. (picked up before I left for the evening). Most of you will think that it is nuts and that is ok. It really does work though.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I’ve let smoke from a camp fire blow over my bibs and coat to cover scent. I’ve heard that’s how the indians used to do it (the smoke part I mean…not the bibs…coat).

newt
    Pillager, MN

I’ve let smoke from a camp fire blow over my bibs and coat to cover scent. I’ve heard that’s how the indians used to do it (the smoke part I mean…not the bibs…coat).

KingofJester
    Minneapolis, MN

My understanding is that the deer coming to investigate the smoke smell. I don’t smoke but one of my dad’s buddies did for years and he seemed to always get deer. My brother has shot deer 3 out of the last 4 years and missed one the year he didn’t get one and he smokes (cigs and others) in his stand.

I only use a fox urine cover sent. Have never did the deer pee. I have cut off the leg glands of a buck and froze them for following years.

KingofJester
    Minneapolis, MN

My understanding is that the deer coming to investigate the smoke smell. I don’t smoke but one of my dad’s buddies did for years and he seemed to always get deer. My brother has shot deer 3 out of the last 4 years and missed one the year he didn’t get one and he smokes (cigs and others) in his stand.

I only use a fox urine cover sent. Have never did the deer pee. I have cut off the leg glands of a buck and froze them for following years.

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

I use scents, you name it, but i don’t believe in them for attracting deer, it is more that once the deer get there it is a good place to have it where you can maybe get them to stop in a shooting lane, or maybe keep them from spooking as easily.

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

I use scents, you name it, but i don’t believe in them for attracting deer, it is more that once the deer get there it is a good place to have it where you can maybe get them to stop in a shooting lane, or maybe keep them from spooking as easily.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.