Lill Season Recap

• col._klink
    St Paul

Pretty good year deer hunting for me. I am lucky enough to have private land in MN and WI to hunt.

Bow season was as it always is a weekend marathon. A dad of 2 youngsters my time in the woods now is 10% of what it used to be. But the kids are getting older and are able to sit in the blind for gun season for a few hours so exciting!

My bow hunting efforts were focused mainly in Oct. and early Nov. I was lucky enough to see a ton of deer and had plenty of good shot oppertunities. However the older I get it is starting to seem easier to wait for the right one. Does not have to big a monster for me just the right one.

The buck I did harvest was from a vendetta I had with him. I have a few pictures of him. I also played cat and mouse with him. He was “the” buck on the property. He came just out of range quite a few times. Luckily I picked the right stand on a chilly morning. He came in chasing a doe grunting away. I got him to stop 15 yards from me. I was at full draw and let him have it when he stopped! Not ready to change out the Thunderheads yet. My confiedence went up again as I took a tough quatering towards me shot in front of his front shoulder. A clean pass though! I watched him fall 30 yards from my stand.

My gun kills were very specail to me this year. I was able to take my 6 year old boy Jonas out with me. I took him out to the blind for a evening hunt. We were being quite and munching on snacks when I heard ” DAD DAD DAD DAD THERE IS ONE!!!” Thankfully it was during a snow storm and it was really really windy! ” Ok buddy put on your ear protection and dont move.” I dropped that huge doe in her tracks. Jonas was stoked! Looking back at the picture I posted I still get goose bumps. Jonas helped me field dress her and load her up. I have never seen a kid so excited. Nothing better!!

My gun buck was late in the gun season. Waiting for a huge one I was presented with a smaller buck. Needed one to fill my tag and the freezer I decieded to drop the hammer on this guy. He came through a bottle neck following 4 does. He held up in the thick stuff knowing something was wrong. This buck took that magical extra step and gave me the dream shot. I took it and dropped him where he stood!

Awesome season with tons of memories shared with my bestest lill buddy!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Dropping that doe will probably be one of the most memorable moments until Jonas gets his! Congrats on a successful season and thanks for sharing. As I noticed this year, its not always that huge buck that makes the memories, its sharing them with your kids that mean the most.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Quote:

its not always that huge buck that makes the memories, its sharing them with your kids that mean the most.

X2

Congrats and thank you for sharing it with us all!

magnumlure

Good times is what its all about! Congrats to you and thanks for reminding us of the important reasons we hunt.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Great job and looks like you had tons of fun with the kids

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

It looks like you had a great year filled with lifelong memories with the kids!

lick

Congrats ! You had a great year !

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Great job and looks like you had tons of fun with the kids

X2 Congrats

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.