The Shack Life-Up North

• codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

For those of you who don’t know, the “Shack” is pretty much my home away from home. This is a family owned shack with about 1000 acres of hunting land. We’ve had this piece of property for 24 years now, and were only continuing to add to this amazing place! It was bought by my grandpa (in this report we call him Poots because that was his highschool nickname lol) and his very good friend steve. The shack isnt only used for hunting, its a great place to get the family together and hangout and ride on fourwheelers for the day, after all we have about 50miles of trails. With all the deer around, the partridge(grouse) population is at a high right now. As you can see, we spend our afternoons on the wheeler having fun with the shotguns. NOW, lets get to the fun part…hunting:
    Day 1: Friday October 14, 2011 7:00am
    I got into my ladder stand about 7am this particular morning, and i had nothing but the hope a deer would walk by. ( After all, this morning proved to be the first morning a bow kill was recorded at the shack). The stand i was sitting in was setup by my father about a week prior to this trip, and it was setup in the right place. In between their bedding area, and a popular field the deer like to feed in. The trails through this part of the woods was UNBELIEVEABLE! So its the first morning, and i decided to try this spot. I got in the stand 7am, and by 710 i heard something walking through the tall grass already. And before i knew it, there was a doe not more than 15yds behind the pine trees. 5min later, he was now about 10yds and all you bowhunters know how hard it is to get to full draw with a deer that close. I COULD SEE HER BLINKING! She finally turned broadside, looked the other way, and i got to full draw. I settled my 20yd pin on its belly, waited for it to move its front shoulder forward, and let er rip. And let me tell you, I PINWHEELED IT! As you can see by the pics, it was a beautiful heart shot. She went not more than 30yds and tipped over. So deer #1 down for the weekend. Now its my buddy marks turn.
    Day 1: Friday October 14 4pm:
    Now this evening i decided to sit with mark and do a little videoing, and im sure glad i did. This night we setup on a nice little food plot planted with clover in between a major field, and a swamp where most these deer like to bed. Once again, within 10min we had a nubbin come onto the plot and eat. and eat. and eat. Finally he left and by 530 we had two does come onto the plot, and eat their way to 20yds. I settled the camera and told mark to let er rip. He flipped it, dropping it in her tracks. Not the shot all hunters want, but knowing you didnt wound it makes everything a WHOLE lot better! Friday, what a successful day! 2 deer down! Now its my brother jakes turn to lay the smack down.
    Saturday Morning October 15, 2011:
    Jake and my dad sat til about 930, no deer.
    Saturday Evening:
    Jake was setup on our major food plot, known for having large amounts of deer on it every night. This plot is HUGE, with north, south, east and west shooting lanes topping out at 400yds!! However, jake setup in a blind on a point typically known for deer coming out in that certain area of the plot every night. And he had deer all over him! But once the first doe walked within 15yds, he let er fly. Now, he videoed himself on this evening hunt and from the review the shot looked real far back, not good. But once we started tracking blood was everywhere! He must’ve hit a nice artery and the blood bath began! Once again, another doe hit the ground!
    As you can see, the shack life IS the life. Spending numerous hours in the stands, on the fourwheelers, and around the bonfire is what its all about!!! A great time is had by all, and coming here is heaven.
    The pictures say the rest…
    Goodluck all you bowhunters! After all, this isnt the easiest sport ive been a part of!

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

Pic 1- The partridge hunting, what a blast!
    Pic 2- Poots, Myself, Dad
    Pic 3-Me, mark and his first ever bow kill, and poots
    Pic 4- Jake and dad with jakes doe!
    Thanks everyone!

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Very Nice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.