Possible land purchase??

• trapsht
    Rockford, Il

What do you guys think of this topo map?? It’s a little tough to see,but I currently own 15 ac (#04-11-200-010)..highlighted in teal. I have an opportunity to own the parcel straight north(04-11-200-001). This parcel will be increased in size to 40 ac which will be gained from the east side(essentially my east side property line straight north. THere is a small creek that has water year round on the east side and I have a 1 ac pond (not shown on map). There is 15ac of tillable on the proposed land that is rotated btwn corn/beans. The woods are deciduous with a lot of oak.

I can get triple the acreage in northern Wisconsin for the same price, but it may be nice to have 55ac out my back door. How does it look to you guys??

rubber
    river falls wi

i think i would go with the land in your back yard because it is realy nice to have your hunting land around your house. you wont have a big gas bill to hunt there easyer to scout and if you get a afternoon off you can go and hunt it. i run into that problem all the time because the closet land i hunt is 90 miles away. but it also depends on how good your land is by your house and how good the land in wisconsin is,

bowhuntmn

This may be private and not something you want to share, but it helps if you “blow” the area up. I always like to look at the surrounding land, not just the neighbors. What does it look a mile away? Is there more woods, more fields, more highway, cities? These things all make a big difference as far as holding number of deer. 40 acres can be prime in some situations, and not nearly enough in others. Remember, deer come from miles away during the pre rut/rut, so take into account your surrounding area.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Good points from the two guys above. I was told a long time ago “You’ll only get one chance to buy your neighbors land” If you like that spot, don’t pass it up.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Is it mostly farm land around it ? Looks like you’d have pretty much 100% woods and in the heart of it Having come from 20 great deer acres in my backdoor, to now having the 120 acres an hour north, go with the backyard

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

By clicking on the link and zooming out….it looks to me like you would own a good portion of timber compared to the surrounding area. I would think you should be over run with deer once the crops start to come off… Obviously, the assumption is that there is a strong deer herd in your area already.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I would expand this land, no questions asked. Good luck!!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

I would expand this land, no questions asked. Good luck!!

Agreed. If you have the cash, and can increase your space, i would do it in a second. This opportunity will never be back.

Quote:

Agreed. If you have the cash, and can increase your space, i would do it in a second. This opportunity will never be back

X3!

It seems like there is a time in everyones life where things get busy and hunting has to take a back seat for a while. Having a quality piece of property right out your back door gives you the opportunity to hunt it at any time. No high gas bills, no hours of travel and no long weekends away from the family.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Thanks guys!! It’s always great to hear different opinions/perspectives. I see a lot of deer on my 15 ac piece throughout the season. The 40 ac piece is overrun with gun hunters in november..I’d like to think it would help to get those guys out of there and be more selective in harvesting. Sounds like I need to make this happen.

The next question is do I allow the farmer to keep planting the 15 ac field that’s tucked into the 40 ac piece with row crop or do I plant something different, possibly a mix of CRP/food plots? The rent income isn’t much.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Rent on 15 acres probably isn’t much. However, it may pay the taxes each year?? A couple things come to mind. 1. Make sure the lease explicitly calls out that there are NO hunting rights to this ground. 2. He may be trying harvest at times that conflict with your hunting.

Just a couple thoughts.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Id say scoop it up the photo looks great its got it all food cover water. 15 acres of row croped food plots and you have 60 acres of heaven!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.